Author's Chapter Notes:

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing.

A/N: Thanks for the reviews, you are awesome, guys!

If you imagine Victor, please the cool one from origins (portrait by Live Schreiber). In later chapters I'll try to explain his different appearance and why he didn't seem to recognize his brother in X1 (I think I made a really good explanation up).

In my opinion, Victor wasn't angry at Logan at the end of origins – he told him that they were brothers and thus will never be done; so he would protect his brother's kid; after all the kid would also be his pack.

Even though he knew Kayla was using his brother, he didn't really kill her because Logan loved her and only after Logan had learned of her betrayal and turned his back on her – Kayla was free to kill in Victor's option.

X

CHAPTER 2

The large mutant was a regular at this diner, ordering steak or burger for his early supper every time his job allowed a visit. But today, he would make an exception, he could always eat at home – his fridge was full. "Coffee. Black."

"Anything else?"

"Nope." He bit down his chuckles about her annoyed expression and watched her walk away. 'Nice ass. Too bad she's Jimmy's.'

When Marie had placed the steaming mug in front of Victor and had just returned to the counter, his dark voice sounded through the diner. "Refill!" She whirled around and her eyes widened in disbelief at the sight of Victor holding the now empty mug upside down.

"And please not so hot, Marie." He added with a smirk and saw her move behind the counter, murmuring curses. 'Impressive vocabulary…' Maybe this afternoon would become fun.

A minute later the brunette returned with a pot in her hand and an angry expression on her face. She gritted her teeth and swallowed her pride since the manager just returned from the kitchen and had an eye on her. She forced a fake smile onto her lips while pouring the coffee into the mug. "Anything else?"

"Ooh, yeah." He returned her polite smile. "So you gonna keep it?"

'How dare he?' Marie gapped at him, making him grin again. "Of course!" She spun around, her fake happy face in place and made her way to another customer at the other end of the room. Just when she turned around to tell the cook the new order, her eyes caught sight of Sabretooth again, holding his empty cup in the air, demanding his refill.

He heard her crunch her teeth form the distance and grinned in satisfaction as she returned to his table. "How far along are you?"

"Why do ya wanna know?" She shot back.

He shrugged nonchalantly. "Just curious."

"Curiosity kills the cat, Victor."

The girl had guts. Slowly he understood that it weren't only her striking looks that had captured his baby brother's interest. "Gonna risk it. So?"

His probing look reminded her so much of Logan. "Eight weeks." She started to walk away. 'Why the hell am Ah telling him anyways?' Marie was only a few steps away from his table when his voice demanded her attention once again. "Argh!" She spun around, anger flaring in her chocolate eyes and she stomped back to her annoying customer. "Ah'm not gonna play twenty questions with ya!" She hissed, trying to not scream at him.

Victor only chuckled good humored about her outburst that had drawn the attention of several patrons and the manager. "Christ, I hope not. Twenty cups o' coffee in less than twenty minutes is even a challenge for my healin' factor."

He was playing with her and she tried to steady her breathing, to calm down. "Ah could leave the pot with ya." She suggested looking him square in the eyes.

"But then I'd have to tell Tina that her new waitress needs a lesson in service." From the corner of his eyes he saw the manager, a tall blond woman, approach. "Not to mention you'd blow your tip into the wind." He smiled at her almost sweetly, bearing his fangs in the process.

Tina was anxious about the scene her newest employee made and that of all of her patrons, it had to be her only – at least as far as she knew – mutant one. She wasn't fond of muties, but this man, though his smile sent chills down her spine and not in a positive way, was a good customer for months and he was nice and charming, even if not being very talk-active. Aside from this, the new policy about mutant integration would ruin her business, if press would get word of this.

She came to a halt next to the brunette and glared daggers at her before turning her gaze towards the mutant with a smile. "Is everything alright?"

Victor saw the Southern spitfire swallow and almost shrink. Their eyes locked and he flashed her his predatory smile. "Sure. Marie is quite a charmin' young woman." Usually he wouldn't bother a thought about not ruining people's jobs and lives, but this girl carried his niece or nephew. 'Brothers watch out for each other… and what is theirs.' His piercing gaze switched over to the older woman and he saw her shudder almost immediately. 'Such a pathetic frail.'

The manager took a step back and nodded at the man with a fearful smile. "If you will excuse me, now."

Marie waited till her boss had vanished into the kitchen again. "Thanks, Victor." She wondered why he was nice to her despite his obvious joy to make her feel miserable. "Why didn't ya?"

Victor shrugged and sipped at his warm coffee. "If she'd have kicked your pregnant ass out, whom shall I bother then?"

The brunette groaned and walked over to the counter to fetch her other customers' orders. She hadn't placed the plate with the quesadillas down, when she heard him again. "Refill!"

'Fuck him!'

"Are you plannin' on tellin' him?"

She narrowed her eyes at Victor. "If he shows up and asks who the father is, then yes."

"Marie, more coffee." … "So you gonna be a single mom?"

"Yes, why not?"

"Refill!" … "Raisin' a cub all on your own. Dontcha think it'll be a little hard?"

'For Christ's sake! Why can't he leave me alone?' "Ah wanted this baby and Ah've already a pretty good idea on how to support mah child, so it'll be happy." This comment made him furrow his brows.

"Coffee." … "So you got pregnant on purpose?"

"That's none of your fucking business!" She snapped at him, causing several heads to turn their way once again.

Victor remained calm, which he knew would only anger the girl further. "Don't think that dangerous pulsin' vein on your forehead is a good sign of health. Doubt high blood pressure is good for the cub."

Marie lowered her voice. She didn't want her boss to learn so early about her condition. "Ah doubt running from one end of the diner to the other every minute is good for mah baby either."

"You could always take a seat and refill my coffee." He watched her turn and storm away.

After another two cups and the urge to tap his foot on the floor and his index-claw against the tabletop, Victor rose to his feet and approached the restroom. When he returned, he caught sight of the clock and decided it was time to end his game – at least for today. He walked up to the counter.

Behind it stood a very annoyed looking Marie. "Let me guess, more coffee?"

"Nah." The feral shook his head and fished his wallet from the back-pocket of his pants. "It's gotten late. A blueberry-muffin for take-away and the bill, Stripes."

The brunette hitched both eyebrows. "What ya already leaving? Got someone else to torture?" A playful pout was on her lips and he had to smile. "$ 4,48."

"You already missin' me? That warms my heart." He placed a 10 dollar bill on the countertop and grasped the muffin.

She fetched the money and retrieved his change. "Nah, that warmth comes from the two liter coffee, ya drank." When she looked up, Sabretooth was already at the door. "Your change?"

"Nah, is fine. Your tip for puttin' up with me."

Marie stared wide eyed after the man, Tina next to her mirrored her expression.

X

Chapter End Notes:

A/N: Later comes a better explanation why Marie became pregnant on purpose.

I hope you liked it!