Author's Chapter Notes:
I had a second version of this story just sitting on my computer so I thought I'd just put it out there. The first version was more 'damsel-y' and this one is more of my typical Marie kicking ass. ;)
I can't escape this hell
So many times I've tried
But I'm still caged inside
Somebody get me through this nightmare
I can't control myself


Sick satisfaction covered the doctor's face as he studied the video monitor. The man he observed…if one could still call him a man…paced back and forth in his cell, howling and clawing at the reinforced walls. After twenty five days of interrogation and torture, he'd finally been pushed past the breaking point. It had taken much more effort that the doctor had originally planned; the animal had been buried far deeper in his psyche than they'd realized.

Logan didn't exist anymore. There was only Wolverine.

So what if you can see the darkest side of me
No one will ever change this animal I have become
Help me believe it's not the real me
Somebody help me tame this animal!
This animal, this animal


The Blackbird landed on the outskirts of the facility and Rogue was first down the exit ramp, the team following close behind. Logan had disappeared during a routine sweep of a reported mutant camp just under a month ago. She'd been on another assignment at the time and only found out about his mission after she'd returned. Marie had railed Scott for sending a team member out alone – especially Logan. Sure he could take care of himself but as a mutant experiment, there were few specimens as valuable as him. His healing factor alone meant that they could torture him over and over and he would still recover.

She shuddered at the image of his nightmares; being grafted with adamantium, bullets riddling his body; the pain of his metal skeleton being manipulated by Magneto. Her imagination ran wild at what they could be subjecting him to this time and those possibilities enraged her.

Marie and the team found their way into the facility. Scott had just begun his 'X-Men don't kill' speech when Marie silenced him with her hand.

"If it were Jean sitting in here, being fucked up by these assholes, would you be holding back?"

He had no response.

"Yeah, that's what I thought."

She tapped into that Logan place in her mind. The part of him that was pure animal and instinct. She didn't go there often. The prospect of becoming lost to the overwhelming emotion was terrifying. She wasn't sure if she would be able to come back like Logan. But if there was ever a time that called for summoning that inner Wolverine, it was now. She wasn't going to lose him.

A growl rumbled from her chest and her senses came alive. She sniffed the air, turned to her right and bolted down the hallway.

"So…I guess we go that way." Scott murmured.

I can't escape myself
So many times I've lied
But there's still rage inside
Somebody get me through this nightmare
I can't control myself


Wolverine sat on his haunches in the center of the room. He was no longer able to process logical thought. His world encompassed the cell in which he was imprisoned. Wolverine focused on a means of escape but grew increasingly agitated every time he failed to break free. Each time the men came to take him, he was given something to make him sleep. When he awoke, he was chained in the large grey room. But one moment was all he needed. One chance and he would make all of them scream in agony.

So what if you can see the darkest side of me
No one will ever change this animal I have become
Help me believe it's not the real me
Somebody help me tame this animal I have become


Scott watched as Rogue lead the way, dispatching guard after guard with a variety of powers that she'd accumulated through the years. He'd always known she was a good fighter; brave, physically strong, willing to take a bullet for any of her teammates. Rogue was no longer the timid teenager that came to the mansion ten years ago. This Rogue was the embodiment of her name; vicious, solitary, operating outside of any control whatsoever.

The realization hit Scott harder than a ton of bricks; she was acting exactly like Logan.

Help me believe it's not the real me
Somebody help me tame this animal
Somebody help me through this nightmare
I can't control myself
Somebody wake me from this nightmare
I can't escape this hell


Wolverine heard a commotion and he turned toward the door, his claws erupting from his hands. Footsteps were drawing closer now. There were at least five. More screaming and loud noises echoed outside his door. He stepped backward, placing his body flush with the wall; ready to spring forward and impale the first person who walked through the door.

After a moment of silence, he heard the telltale lock on the door slide free. The heavy door creaked open and Wolverine roared forward, his claws extended outward toward the intruder. The sound of the metal's impact into flesh was music to his ears and the odor of fresh blood made his vision cloud with ecstasy.

Wolverine heard a man's voice yell out one word that made the Logan inside of him howl with rage.

"Rogue!"

Instead of a man in a lab coat, a woman stood before him. Her scent was unmistakable.

Rogue. Marie. Mate.

So what if you can see the darkest side of me
No one will ever change this animal I have become
Help me believe it's not the real me
Somebody help me tame this animal I have become


Rogue roared in anger. The attack surprised her and she fought back, pinning him to the wall with the power she'd obtained from Magneto. As quickly as she'd been able to bring forth the Wolverine inside her mind, she was able to shove it back to its rightful place even as she fell to her knees in agony.

"Goddammit! "

Scott was next to her in an instant, attempting to apply pressure on her wounds as Rogue slipped into unconsciousness.

"Rogue…Rogue!"

He sensed Wolverine's approach and he turned instantly, his hand on the side of his visor.

"Back off!"

Logan lifted his hands, his face a mask of regret, pain and exhaustion.

"It's me, One-Eye."

"What the hell were you thinking attacking her?"

"I didn't…it..it was Wolverine."

Logan knelt down next to Marie's still form, tears running down his face as the smell of her blood flooded his nose. Blood he had spilt.

"What have I done?"

Help me believe it's not the real me
Somebody help me tame this animal!
This animal I have become


Marie's eyelids opened slowly, adjusting to the bright lights of the med lab. She turned her head and was greeted by Logan's face only inches from hers. He smiled weakly and she recognized immediately that it was Logan and not Wolverine who sat before her.

"Hi."

Her voice sounded raspy.

"Hey."

His voice sounded like heaven.

"So…you're…you."

"Yeah, darlin'."

His eyes cast downward, regret clouding his strong face.

"I'm sorry, Marie. So fuckin' sorry."

She put her gloved hand on his cheek. He hadn't bothered to shave the beard that had grown during his time in the lab.

"You were the one tortured for a month. I can handle a little skewering. I do have your wonderful healing factor, remember?"

"It ain't funny."

"I'm not laughing."

Logan sat back in his chair, his hands running through his dark hair.

"I didn't even see you, Marie. He was in control. I saw everything he did and I didn't give a shit. I wanted him to fillet every one of those assholes. When that door opened, all he wanted…all I wanted was payback. And then I saw…too late…it was you…."

His voice became raw and she could tell he was fighting to not break down.

"It wasn't your fault, Logan."

"Yes it was. I want to blame everything on Wolverine but he's me. I'm that animal. I'm the one that could have killed you."

"But you didn't, Logan. I'm right here."

He looked into her eyes and the vulnerability evident there tore at Marie's heart.

"Why do you bother, Marie?"

"Well, why do you?"

"What?"

"I can't touch you, Logan. You're all passion and emotion but you can't be intimate with me unless there's a barrier between us. So why me when there's at least a half dozen women in this mansion would love to share your bed."

"Because you make me the man I should be, Marie."

"And you give me the strength I never thought I could possess. Remember, I've got Wolverine inside my head too. Face it, baby, we're a good team. And that includes him."

She poked her finger at his chest.

Logan smiled the lopsided smirk that made her knees go weak. He leaned forward and brought his lips to hers for an agonizingly fleeting moment. Logan broke the connection before the draw of her mutation began but his face hovered so tantilizingly close to hers.

"You all healed?" Logan's voice rumbled in her ear.

She shuddered at his warm breath on her cheek.

"Hell yeah."

"Me too."

"Screw the debriefing, get your ass to our room so I can show you how much I missed you, sugar."

"Yes, ma'am."

Marie jumped up from the bed and Logan wrapped her in his arms.

The Wolverine growled his approval.