When Rogue entered the motel room, she found Scott doing push-ups by the bed, wearing only his boxer briefs. He was sweating, all muscle and movement –you would think the bandage covering his eyes were part of his training. His hair stuck on his forehead, giving him this handsome wet look. "Thousand and two!" he ground against the floor and jumped on his feet. "Right after my workout." He cocked a grin at her direction. "Welcome back, Rogue."

Eyes up, Marie, Wolverine's voice resounded in her head.

"Hey," she said, suddenly feeling self-conscious that his abs were staring at her face. How the hell did he hide those under the rags he had been wearing? Thank goodness he couldn't see her get all red and fidgety. He wouldn't be able to see how much she changed in just a few weeks out of the mansion. She took off her coat and sat down on the bed. "How are you doing? Are you hungry?"

The past two days have been a haze for both of them. Since meeting with Raven a couple of nights ago, she had met her again tonight for specific instructions to start what Rogue liked to call 'Operation Immortalize'. Stupid, but she felt the need to make it feel like a serious job –because it was. She only saw Scott during the day as she was sleeping, and he busied himself with working out and LOTS of TV.

Scott revealed to her that he was never really fond of television –up until they started living in the motel. He had been watching and loving everything, from cartoons, reality TV, cooking shows, movies –all except the news. He said he would rather watch porn with her than sit through CNN, to which Rogue asked humoredly, "Is that a suggestion, Scott?" He only replied with a laugh and shoved her arm with his elbow.

Thinking of Raven again, Rogue felt her body grow cold with anticipation and fear. But a huge chunk of her emotion was mainly about excitement. She was twenty-three, but it felt like it was only now that she was about to turn legal or something.

"Are you going to seduce him first?"

"What?"

"I mean, you will seduce him first, right? Make him all vulnerable so then I can surprise him and absorb the life out of him."

Raven giggled like a schoolgirl. "Is that what Charles taught you, always resort to seduction when things get tough?" She shook her head then. "Your plan is impossible. He'll smell deceit a mile away."

Rogue watched Scott enter the bathroom. He left the door open as he washed his face. He turned away when he pushed his boxers down and got in the shower. Firm butt is firm. It occurred to her suddenly that he was probably throwing himself at her, prancing around half-naked, but she figured that maybe he forgot she was here in the first place. She had been mostly asleep whenever they were together. Few times they shared dinner, they laughed together like siblings or roommates.

Her Wolverine noticed her interest, and as usual, was more than vocal about it. Are you trying to distract yourself with Scooter just so you can ignore me, darlin'?

Maybe I don't mind seeing Scott in his birthday suit, she thought angrily. Either way, Rogue stood up and headed to the small cabinet and pulled out her bag. She had to get at least a few clothes to change into. She heard the shower stop, then the faucet again, and it didn't take long until Scott stepped out of the bathroom with the towel hanging treacherously low on his hips –not that she took a peek, his reflection was right there on the big mirror adjacent of the bed.

When Scott sat on there rather un-sexily, Rogue knew that this man was just comfortable having her around –that he trusted her with his life. He sat there, thighs apart, creating this poor zigzag of his towel in a sad attempt to cover his crotch. His eyes were shut tight, his freshly shaved jaw resting against his palm. He looked conflicted. "Where are you going this time, Rogue?"

"The only way to defeat something as powerful as Victor is to be more powerful than he is."

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"Yes and no," Raven answered. "I want you to meet a friend."

Rogue ignored his question. "I've asked the landlady to drop by everyday to give you food. Everything has been taken care of. You just have to open the door for her noontime."

Scott shook his head. "Rogue."

"I know you're able and you can find your way anywhere, but please do us both a favor and act like you need my help." This was it, Rogue thought. Leaving this room would validate your deal with Raven. No more turning back.

"How many days are we talking about here?"

"A few."

Scott's jaw clenched. She could see him put his hands on his knees, clenching hard, knuckles white. "I can just call them, you know. Call him."

"If you do that then this will be goodbye," she threatened fearlessly. "No problem by me, Summers." Which was half a lie, but she had to convince both of them that her mind was made up.

Scott let out a deep sigh. "A few days then."

Rogue zipped her bag close. This felt like packing in her room in the mansion again –with a one-man audience. Her bag on her shoulder, she walked to her fresh-from-the-shower friend and squatted in front of him. "Answer me. Do you think maybe… you'll be ready to return to them when I get back?"

"If you're with me, we'll see."

It was probably a pun or a double entendre, but he gave her what she recognized as his secret smile for her –a mix of familiarity, harmless flirting, and pure friendship. Rogue rewarded his sweetness with a kiss on top of his wet hair, glanced at him once last time, a soft "See you later, Scott," and shut the door behind her.


It was finally Saturday.

The past few days have been slightly chaotic in the X-Mansion. New Charles, as Logan liked to call him, had instigated to address the X-Men first regarding his identity. Like Ororo at first, they were hesitant to believe, but with Logan and another telepath's confirmation, they finally warmed up to the younger man. For further truth, New Charles was more than willing to communicate telepathically with those who were still unsure about the matter, and probably revealed to them secrets that they have only told the Professor. Then, the midget X-man who could phase through walls had squealed in delight, and said that they needed to celebrate his return, yada yada yada…

Logan stopped listening since then, but somehow, at the end of the day, the entire school was still buzzing about the Professor's return. More than half of the female population was having a hard time wrapping their head around the Professor's 'hot new bod', which was funny as hell and revolting at the same time.

Other than his classes, Logan occupied himself training in the Danger Room, burning off his impatience. The younger Charles, though mobile and starry-eyed, was still, in all actuality, a pansy. The man panted like a dog during his morning jogs, got all gassy when he ate meat, and liked to ask him for beer. His beer. As much as Logan wanted to drag him back to Cerebro, the man was an early sleeper, too. Scratch that –he was out cold after dinnertime, every fucking night. One would think a younger body would have strived harder to stay up, but the physical exhaustion, as New Charles explained, was new to him. There was even that one time Logan caught him sitting on his wheelchair.

"Nostalgia, really?" Logan asked in a mocking tone.

"Far from it," New Charles replied. "More of realizing that sitting all day conserves my energy for my astounding telepathic prowess. Now, all the walking, running…" He groaned and rubbed his temples. "Never thought this wheelchair was actually a blessing to me."

Now, Logan prowled outside the cafeteria waiting for New Charles. He was pacing back and forth, easily sending students the other way, brushing off any of their attempts to interview the Professor or tell him how they missed him, etc. Because he was done waiting, damn it. The moment that previously bald telepath was done with his chicken croissant sandwich, he would be dragging the man back to Cerebro.

"Logan, let's go," New Charles said from behind him all of a sudden.

They don't bother with pleasantries. They both knew it wasn't a good morning for Logan –hasn't been for so long. If only he could bark at Charles to walk faster.

"Forgive my lack of athletic skills, Logan."

Logan rolled his eyes. After only one step, he was suddenly struck by regret and sorrow. To think that Charles just came back from the dead, on walking legs nonetheless, and the man should really be just celebrating, laughing, reviving his long lost youth and having all sorts of naughty fun, but here he was, dragging him to do work for him. Had he forgotten that Charles was his friend?

"It is truly quite alright," Charles said, quite aware of his thoughts. When Logan growled, he smiled. "You were projecting rather loudly." The doors to Cerebro parted open and he quickly went to the center of the room. "Now, give me a few moments."

Logan sighed and waited when the machine activated. Just a little more. If he comes up with nothing, then it's final. I'm leaving. I have to find her soon. I'll get that damn truck and…

The lights suddenly went off. Charles was grasping for air again, but he looked more composed than the first time he tried. He choked on his saliva a bit before talking. "Logan…"

"Are you ok, Chuck?!" Logan leapt by the younger mutant's side and lifted him back on his feet. "Did you find her?!" he asked, hopeful. To his disappointment, the New Charles shook his head. For a second, he was tempted to drop him on the floor.

But Charles grabbed on his sleeve, staring up at him with concern in his eyes. "I found him… I… Scott…! He's alive!"

Scooter. Alive? Logan thought surprised, and inevitably dropped Charles on the floor. "Whoah, sorry."

"We have to get to him as soon as possible," Charles said, though frowning a little. "He's not alone though." He shot Logan a look. "I couldn't get a read on his friend, but his brainwaves are telling me he's with a girl. InCanada."

Logan's eyes widened. This was it, he knew. "Marie."


The convention was swarming with people left and right. However, her target stood out among the humans. Carol Danvers was definitely homo superior, because she was a fucking knockout, probably one of the most beautiful women she had ever seen. Busty, blonde, and blue-eyed. You wouldn't think she was a mutant. Despite her stunning physical appearance, Rogue felt a different kind of power oozing from Danvers. Without looking at her partner-in-crime/boss/frenemy, she asked, "If she's your friend, why do I have to creep on her?"

"Is that a stupid question?" The tick in her jaw and the glare in her usually flirty gaze meant that tonight, Raven wasn't playing around. She was Mystique. It also occurred to Rogue that Raven had been wearing the same physique since meeting at the bar. She put two and two together, but she couldn't somehow believe that Mystique was 'cured'. "Of course she's not a volunteer. Besides, she wouldn't know what hit her when you're already sucking the life outta her."

On the other hand, that bitchy tone… NahThis was Mystique, alright. "Don't say it like that. I'm not a killer."

Mystique snorted at her. "You can't back out now, Rogue. Just do it, OK?" She shrugged. "Besides, you wouldn't be holding forever. Take only what you need for Victor tonight. It's all going to be so quick, you'll forget by tomorrow."

She was probably lying, but Rogue was unable to move from her spot. More expectedly than not, none of it abruptly made any kind of sense. What the fuck was she doing here? Had she truly gone out of her mind?

"Rogue. Honey," Raven's voice returned, encouraging and comforting. She was holding Rogue's hand again, squeezing the glove. "You can do this. Do it for him." Then she leaned close to her ear and whispered, "Or are you going to let this chance pass you by… kid?"

Fucking kid.

When Rogue saw Carol leave her trail of men and women admirers, she knew it was now or never. She pushed Mystique away and made a beeline to the ladies' room. Blondie was probably reapplying white eyeliner or something. Rogue doesn't think of what she's supposed to do. Any sign of apprehension will alert Carol of danger. Raven warned her that this mutant had more than the average 5 senses. So Rogue had to be as effortless as she can be –even if she was wearing a black wig to hide her trademark hair. Don't plan it. Don't worry about it. You just have to keep cool and then touch her. Your weapon is your skin –how natural can you get?

Rogue slid in one of the cubicles, even took a pee. After a while, she heard the water running by the sink. Rogue emerged from her stall and washed her hands. Blue met brown in the mirror. She even had the decency to acknowledge her with a polite smile, like 'hey, it's a nice day today, isn't it?' Then it happened so fast, for months Rogue will be astounded she pulled it off.

The moment her bare hands caught Carol's arm, Rogue recoiled, her eyebrows disappearing at the thick bangs of her make-do wig. This mutant was definitely a strong one –her powers surged through Rogue like unstoppable electricity. The impact was too much, that Rogue herself had to wrench her fingers free from Carol's smooth, freckle-free skin.

Unlike the others she had absorbed, however, Carol was still standing, though obviously paler. And unlike Magneto or Logan, she did not really know who Rogue was, or what she can do. She caught the brunette by surprise and clamped her own hands on Rogue's bare neck. "What did you do, little girl?!"

"LET GO!" Rogue shouted fiercely, and she wondered if people outside heard her. But no one came. She yelled again, but the next time she tried shouting, her voice had left her. Carol's confusion burnt her from head to toe like wildfire –it turned out that Ms Marvel did not realize her powers were being sucked out of her body, so she did what instinct told her to do: hold on to the offender, that as much as she wanted to stop to find out what was happening exactly, to find reason to explain the pain, the weaker she felt. "LET GO, LET GO, LET GOOOOO!"

Now, the memories were beginning to download in Rogue's system. Carols' first everything; first candy, boyfriend, present, the first time she lost her best friend. The first time she felt she wasn't normal. She used to be a little girl too. Endless sky and adventures from outer space. It was a phenomenal set of memories, a huge contrast to Erik and Logan's dark past. This woman actually loved her life. Everything –it was almost so perfect. Then shehappened. The pretty girl with the wig, that innocent smile and BLAM! It's the first time she felt physically weak, like someone had turned her knees into jelly.

The transfer was quick and powerful, and what felt like forever was only just happening for roughly a few minutes, that Carol was condensed into a weakling, like a child punching the air. The super strength that should have saved her, should have killed Rogue was hanging by a short thread, and it was then that Rogue finally had the strength to shout forcefully, "Get… OFF ME! MY SKIN!" But the invulnerability had already started to take effect.

Recognition etched on Carol's face –defeat and wonder in a delirious mix. Dumb blonde. No, Rogue corrected herself. Just unlucky. Ms Marvel's brilliance was superb, but like many others, she had underestimated the element of surprise. Surprise? More like underestimated the seemingly harmless 'pretty girl' with the fatal touch. And it was her skin that saved her, made this possible. Her skin that did this mind rape. This. Carol immediately pulled away, as if Rogue had a disease she couldn't put a finger on, but to their surprise, Mystique appears behind the weakened superhero, hands equipped with gloves, and shoved the frail woman back against Rogue's person.

"NOOOOOOO!" screamed the two women with all their might.

Everything went hazy.

Then pitch black for the blonde, a blur of colors for the brunette.

Before passing out, Rogue heard Raven's haunting whisper in her ear, "My gift to you, Rogue…" Then she felt a light kiss on the top of her hair. "May you live forever."


Chapter End Notes:
Ok, so please bear with me until Rogan happens. :D Thanks for reading!