Marie and Jubilee had spent the afternoon successfully shopping for clothes that Jubilee qualified as worthy of Marie's new status as 'non-toxic'. Marie was excited at the prospect of being able to dress normally, but trying on clothes that showed off her body intimidated her. In the back of her mind, she questioned whether or not she wanted anyone finding her attractive; with the exception of Logan, of course. But she was committed to not being defined by what had happened in her past. There were a few outfits Marie outright vetoed but, by and large, she let Jubilee act as her personal stylist.

Leaving the last store, armed with packages of new clothes and shoes, Marie felt a renewed sense of being allowed a fresh start. She'd wallowed so long in her loneliness and fear that her life included nothing that gave her joy. But now she had Logan. And that alone was a reason for more happiness than she ever thought possible.

Jubilee opened the car and they deposited the packages inside. Her friend closed the door with an overdramatic huff and leaned against the automobile with her arms crossed. Jubilee smiled triumphantly.

"Mission accomplished, chica."

"You put more focus into shopping than you do during an actual mission, Jubes."

"That's because shopping is more important."

"Well, you have a gift that's for sure."

"I do, I really do." Jubilee pushed herself off of the vehicle. "I'd say we deserve drinks."

Marie glanced at her watch. "I've got about an hour before we have to get back."

Jubilee rolled her eyes. "What, he's got you on a curfew?"

"No, he's just worried. I promised him I'd be back by six. Besides, I can touch now, Jubilee. Do you think I'd rather be getting drinks with you or be home with Logan?"

"Oh, burn! I'm your only friend for years but now that you've got the Wolverine in your pocket, I'm yesterday's news! I see how it works."

"Jubes…"

"I'm just messing with you. If I were you, I'd be locked in a room with that guy for days."

Jubilee winked while Marie's cheeks flushed red.

"C'mon, let's go to Zoe's Bistro. They've got awesome cocktails."

The two friends walked together while a late afternoon breeze wafted gently around them. As she kept pace with Jubilee, Marie couldn't keep her mind from wandering back to Logan. A smile played across her lips as she remembered his reaction to her kiss and how right it felt to be with him. It was definitely time to put the past where it belonged so she could move forward into her future; a future with Logan.

oOo

Marie hadn't felt so relaxed in a long time. She chatted with Jubilee about everything and nothing – just like they used to do before Marie began to experience the nightmares. Marie was grateful that her friend had stood by her when it would have been far easier to abandon Marie to her misery. But Jubilee wasn't like other people. She was fiercely loyal and very protective of those she loved. Marie pitied anyone that managed to get on Jubilee's bad side.

Marie took a sip of her cocktail – Jubilee had been right, they were awesome – and caught movement in her peripheral vision. She looked to her right and saw a woman and a man at the bar. At first glance, they seemed to be a couple having a run of the mill argument. But when Marie watched the woman's body language, she appeared to be physically recoiling from the man while he pushed forward, placing one hand on her chair and the other on the bar, intentionally blocking her in. The recognition of his behavior made the anger surge forward from its burrow deep in her chest.

Jubilee stopped talking when she realized Marie had become distracted. She followed her friend's gaze to the couple at the bar.

"What's going on, Roguey?"

Marie's eyes never left her target.

"Something's off."

"They're having a fight."

"No, it's more. Much more."

As if responding to some cue, the woman pushed his arm off the chair, stood and walked directly out of the restaurant. The man waited for a moment before hitting his hand on the bar in frustration. The bartender gave him a stern glance and was about to say something, but was cut off when the man turned around and stormed out of the bar.

Marie slid back her chair and got up immediately.

"Rogue."

"I'm just going to make sure she's okay."

Marie heard Jubilee curse under her breath and start rifling through her purse to pay the bill as Marie quickly left the restaurant. As soon as she reached the sidewalk, she looked left then right and spotted the back of the man just as he grabbed the young woman by the arm and pulled her in between two buildings. She took off after them, her heart hammering in her chest as the adrenaline began to flow. Marie knew what he intended to do. Knew that if she didn't step in, that woman would find herself alone and at the mercy of someone who would waste no time in taking what he wanted.

She made it to the alleyway and saw them standing face to face, his voice echoing throughout the vaulted space. Marie couldn't hear their words over the blood rushing through her ears. She crossed the distance between them so fast, the couple didn't have time to register her arrival. Marie gripped his arm and threw him back against the brick wall.

The man's gasp of alarm and eyes, wide with shock and anger, only served to amplify Marie's fury.

"What's up, buddy? She not giving you the action you want?"

He stammered, trying to form words despite his bewilderment.

"Cat got your tongue, Romeo? Maybe it should get something else."

Marie tapped into the power and felt herself smile with the delicious sensation of knowing she was in control.

"Maybe you should feel the pain you wanted her to feel."

Instantly, the stranger screamed, grabbed his head and slid to the ground. Marie watched as his eyes clamped shut – I kept mine closed – and he writhed in agony. She was only vaguely aware of the woman crying behind her. Like Marie had cried when she begged Cody to stop and implored Victor to leave her alone. But they hadn't stopped. They hadn't shown mercy. And she wasn't about to show this son of a bitch any kindness.

"Guys like you should burn in a special place in hell."

Marie watched his eyes open and his hands fly to block the heat and fire that he imagined swirling about him. In a moment, he would experience the full anguish of his skin burning away.

"You deserve it for what you were going to do to her, you bastard."

"Rogue!"

Jubilee's voice startled her but didn't make Marie pause the torture she so enjoyed inflicting. She looked at her friend, frustrated at Jubilee's intrusion.

"I'm in the middle of something, Jubilee."

"Are you fucking insane?!"

"He was going to rape her. He deserves everything I'm doing and worse."

"You don't know what the hell he was going to do. Look at this poor woman. She's more traumatized by you than anything else!"

It was only Jubilee physically pushing her back and slamming her against the opposite wall that startled Marie back into awareness. Marie glanced to her side and saw the young woman standing alone, her arms wrapped around her, crying softly as she watched the man shuddering on the ground; the illusion Marie had implanted in his head now evaporated. Marie felt sick. Tears formed in her eyes as her mind crashed down from the rush of her control over the stranger.

"What have I done?"

Jubilee patted Marie's shoulder reassuringly.

"Just stay here, Roguey."

Marie watched as Jubilee approached the woman and began to ask her questions. She didn't hear the words, but saw Jubilee nod her head and then wrap her arms around the stranger's slight figure. Jubilee then went to the man who now sat on the ground, his elbows draped over his knees. His stare was vacant until her friend approached. Jubilee pointed her finger at his face. She couldn't make out her words, but whatever Jubilee said, the man responded by moving his head slowly up and down.

Jubilee went back to the woman and she turned, gave Marie a frightened glance and ran out of the alleyway. Jubilee walked to Marie's side and put her arm around her best friend, leading her out of the alley and leaving the man behind.

"Let's head home, sweetie."

"Jubes, I just tortured that man." Marie's voice was hollow and flat as she spoke.

"Everything is going to be fine, chica."

"I enjoyed it."

"Rogue don't. Just don't."

"What the hell is wrong with me?"

"The Professor will help, okay? Let's just get out of here."

After a few minutes, they arrived at the car. Jubilee escorted Marie to the passenger door but before she could open the car to help her inside, Marie turned to her friend.

"What if that had been you, Jubes? What if I'd hurt you?"

"You'd never hurt me, Roguey."

"But I did it to Remy. What's to say I don't get pissed at Logan and decide to rip out his adamantium?"

Jubilee placed her hands on Marie's shoulders.

"You are not an evil person, Rogue. You wouldn't hurt the people you love on purpose. But you've been through some major shit and you've never dealt with it. It's time to get help."

Marie shook her head absently and allowed Jubilee to get her inside the car. As the door slammed shut, Marie closed her eyes and prayed that her fresh start wouldn't be shattered before it even began.