Marie shifted in Logan's lap and moved her head from its resting place against his shoulder, still not believing what he'd just said.

"What?"

"We're gonna pay a visit to Cody."

She shook her head. "He's in a coma...or worse. What I did to him…"

Logan wasted no time interrupting her. "What you did to him. Darlin' do you hear yourself? He raped you. Violated you. You reacted to protect yourself, Marie. He deserved it. You need to face him whether he's conscious or not."

She finally felt able to move herself from where she sat; the fog of what had happened earlier lifted by fear exploding within her chest. Marie pulled the towel completely around her now and sat next to Logan on the bed, her still damp hair amplifying the shivers that began to wash through her body. She hadn't thought about ever returning to her home. The simple childhood memories were tainted by what had happened that night. Once she'd left and become Rogue, she never intended to set foot in Mississippi again. But now he wanted her to go back there and face what had turned her into such a monster.

"I just can't."

"Yes, you can."

Marie's anger began to rise to the surface. He didn't understand what she'd been through. He was asking too much. She would walk right back into the nightmare again.

"This isn't like your search for your past, Logan. You didn't remember what had happened to you. I do. I can remember every detail about what Cody did to me and I really don't need to set foot back there in order to put it behind me."

Marie rose from the bed and walked to her dresser, pausing before opening the drawers and retrieving clean clothes. "The professor can do something to fix this."

"This ain't about fixin' you, Marie."

She whirled around, clutching the clothes to her chest, her voice thick with sarcasm. "Oh, really? Maybe you're just having second thoughts about being with someone who has some baggage. Maybe all of this boils down to the fact that you're frustrated I haven't fucked you yet."

Logan was off the bed and in front of her so fast, she flinched. He put his hands on her arms firmly and brought his face directly in front of hers.

"You're not gonna push me away again."

"I won't have to. You'll get tired of dealing with my bullshit and you'll walk out that door just like you always do."

His eyes narrowed and his head moved slightly to the side. She was trying to get him to leave and, usually, he would have stomped off in a huff by now. But he didn't move. He just stared at her, his eyes boring into hers. She looked down, shying away from the intensity of his gaze.

"A few months ago that might have worked, girl. But only because I didn't feel like I had any right to interfere in your life. That's changed now. You're mine." She heard him hesitate for just a moment, unsure if he should say his next words. "You're my mate, Marie. Do you know what that means for me? For the Wolverine?"

She shrugged her shoulders and found his eyes again; the strength she found within them was the exact opposite of the insecurity she felt.

"It means that I will never leave you. Ever. That animal inside me can't stand it when you're away from us. He's been tellin' me you're ours for years. So even if you couldn't…or wouldn't ever be physical with me, it wouldn't matter. I love you, goddammit."

Marie's throat ached from holding back the tears that threatened to fall. She was so used to pushing everything inside. It was easier to build the wall and let others believe that she could handle anything. But Logan's words were like a sledgehammer shattering the barricade around her heart. Until this moment, she hadn't truly trusted his motives. She'd believed he wanted her. That he would protect her. But loving her was significant for Logan. He wouldn't have said the words if he wasn't sure. She truly was his…and he was hers.

An anguished cry broke from her chest as she dropped the clothes to the floor and flung her arms around Logan's neck. The grief that she'd shoved down deeply for so many years burst forth and she sobbed against his chest.

Logan gathered her in his arms again and sat in the leather chair while Marie rested in the safety of his embrace. She cried until there were no more tears left to shed. Until her eyes were swollen and her throat raw. And Logan simply stayed where he was, stroking her back through the towel still wrapped around her slight frame. He didn't leave, he didn't speak a word.

She didn't quite have the confidence to look at him when she spoke. The moment felt fragile and she was almost afraid her words might pop the delicate bubble that surrounded them.

"You love me?"

His chest rumbled with his reply. "Yeah, Marie. I love you."

"I love you too."

She snuggled closer to him and Logan pulled her more tightly against his body.

"If you think going to see Cody will help, I'll go." She moved her hand to cup his cheek, caressing the rough stubble on his face. "I trust you, Logan."

"I know, baby. And I'll take care of you. Always."

oOo

The next morning, they stood in the Professor's office and informed him of Logan's plan. Marie expected Charles to protest the idea that she confront Cody in such a way, but after a brief pause, he'd expressed his support for the trip.

"Just as I felt it was important that Logan gain insight into his past, I think it is equally important for you to make this journey into yours. This may provide you with closure you've needed for far too long." The Professor smiled in his kind and generous way. "You know that we will be here for whatever you may need."

"I know, Charles. Thank you." Marie stepped forward, bent down and put her arms around his neck, squeezing firmly. She planted a light kiss on his cheek before she backed up. Charles' smile grew wider.

"Take as long as you need. You both deserve a break."

Logan nodded. "Thanks, Chuck."

"You're welcome."

Marie waved as she and Logan left the Professor's office. She turned to Logan and he grasped her hand in his as they walked down the hallway toward her room.

"I thought he would put up more of a fight." Logan's relief was evident in his voice.

"I sort of did too."

"You hoped he would say no."

Marie sighed softly. "Maybe. A little."

She felt his hand tighten around hers. "I'm gonna have your back, darlin'. Every step."

"Good. 'Cause God knows I do really stupid shit when you're not around."

Logan laughed and pulled her closer to his side, his arm wrapping around her shoulder. "That's why I'm not lettin' you out of my sight again, girl."

She really liked the sound of that.