Marie sat in the passenger seat, her legs crisscrossed and her arm propped up on the armrest. They'd left first thing in the morning, getting breakfast on the way. Even with the tension roiling in her body at the thought of seeing Cody again, she'd felt a sense of calm that she hadn't felt in years. Maybe it was just Logan's presence that gave her renewed strength. They'd talked throughout the day, stopped at ridiculous landmarks and held hands across the middle console. True to his word, Logan had never let her out of his sight for one moment. Even when she went into the restroom at the gas station, he waited patiently, not saying a word when she emerged. She could have been annoyed; thinking that he was afraid she would have some kind of incident without his supervision. But it was comforting knowing that he was concerned enough about her to make sure she was alright.

She looked over at him, the bright red of the dimming sunlight reflected on his face gave his features a warm glow. Marie remembered the cold afternoon when she rode in his camper. She was so young and scared; hoping that she'd made the right choice to trust someone who obviously had no issue with beating other men to a pulp. When he'd followed her to the train station, and reassured her about returning to the mansion, Marie's hopes had been realized. Logan was someone special.

"Whatcha thinkin' about?" Logan's deep voice stirred something within her.

"The first road trip we took."

He laughed. "This time it won't end up with me goin' through the windshield." He tapped his chest. "Wearin' my seatbelt."

Marie chuckled. "I always told Jubilee you could be taught."

"I may not be that smart, but I know when to listen to a beautiful woman."

She turned her head and looked back out the window.

"I trusted you that day."

"Yeah."

"I should have trusted you more over the years, Logan. If I had, maybe I wouldn't be in this mess. I'm sorry."

"I got a lot to be sorry for too. If I'd been there, maybe things would have been better for you."

"Maybe. Maybe not. But I'm glad you're here now."

"Me too, Marie."

The companionable silence descended again and Marie's exhaustion overtake her. She suddenly felt as if she'd been awake for weeks.

"When are we going to stop?"

"In about an hour. There's a little town up the way. Should have a decent play to stay." Logan moved his hand to caress her cheek. "Sleep, darlin'."

Marie didn't protest. Sleep overtook her almost the minute she put her head back and closed her eyes. For the first time in weeks, Marie's dreams were absent of nightmares and memories.

oOo

The sound of the car door woke Marie from her dreamless sleep and she opened her eyes to see that they were parked in front of a small roadside motel. The sun must have just descended below the horizon as there was still a small amount of light in the sky. She looked out the window and saw Logan carry their bags into a room on the first floor. Marie opened the door and stepped outside, stretching as she did so.

Logan emerged from the room and gave her one of his lopsided grins. "Thought I might have to carry you in there. You were out like a light."

"Sorry." Marie was genuinely chagrined. She hadn't anticipated sleeping so hard.

His boots echoed on the gravel as he walked towards her and she took a few steps forward to meet him. Logan reached out his arms and gathered her to his chest. Marie circled his torso with her arms and placed her cheek against his shirt.

"Don't be sorry. You've been through a lot the last few weeks. Figures you'd be worn out." His hand traced a figure eight on her back as he spoke.

"Nothing a shower and a burger won't cure."

"There's a place just down the road from here. You get a shower and I'll get us some food."

"There won't be any hot water by the time you come back, you know."

Logan shrugged, then kissed the top of her head. "Then you'll be stuck with a ripe Canadian tomorrow."

"Ew, nevermind. I'll save you some water."

His laughter made her stomach flutter. Being out here alone almost made her feel like they were two college kids on a road trip; sneaking away from their parents to be together. Aside from their one trip in Logan's camper, they'd never spent any extended time alone together. Even though she knew what awaited them on this trip, the sense of normalcy with Logan was something Marie hadn't experienced in far too long. She moved her head back and looked up at Logan's face. Her chest constricted at how much she wanted him...how much she needed him. To her surprise, she felt the tears once again.

"Marie? What's goin' on?" Logan's hands moved up to her face, cradling her cheeks in his hands. His thumbs caressed her skin as she wept quietly.

"I just never thought I could have this. You and me. I've wanted it for so long."

"I know, baby."

He brought his lips gently to hers. A kiss of understanding, love and reassurance. When they parted, she smiled at him and he returned it in kind, wiping away her tears as he did so.

"C'mon. Let's get you inside. You'll love the decoratin'. Plaid comforters and striped wallpaper."

"You always pick the classy places, Logan."

"Only the best for my girl."

oOo

Thirty minutes later Marie emerged from the bathroom, showered, changed and feeling more relaxed and at peace than she had in a year. Logan hadn't yet returned from the diner so she turned down the bed - the king sized bed - and turned on the tv. There wasn't much on so she took the opportunity to check her phone for any email and was rewarded with the familiar ding of a new message. She wasn't overly surprised that the mail was from Jubilee.

Chica,

I just wanted you to know that I'm proud of you. You've been going through a shitload of stuff lately, but I want you to know that you'll get through it. Logan is right about you seeing Cody. I know that the guy is in a coma and everything but you need to see him and tell him how pissed you are at what he did- even if he might not hear you. Who knows, maybe with your nifty new powers, he might. You need to get closure (big, fancy psychobabble term there), and the only way to do that is to see him one last time.

I think you should pay a visit to your parents too. I know your dad's an asshole but you've spent too damn long thinking that you're a monster because of him. If he gives you shit, just tell him he's an ignorant redneck then hold your head high at your bad-ass-ness. Because you are a certified, grade-A BAD. ASS.

One last thing - you have to stop pushing Logan away. You're scared of being hurt, I get that. But the last person in the world who would ever hurt you is him. He will never judge you - hell the guy probably has more shit going on in his past than you and I will ever know. So let yourself be happy, schmuck. Because if you're happy, I'm happy. And you want me to be happy.

Love you, XXOO

J

ps. bring me a souvenir


Marie smiled. She didn't really deserve such a good friend. Jubilee was always looking out for her, always there when Marie needed her and, usually, always right. Marie put her phone on the nightstand and placed her head back on the pillow she'd propped up behind her head.

Vinnie's assault had shaken Marie to her core. The nightmares of Cody's attack and Victor's attempt were bad enough but Vinnie's mental violation had ripped away the last bit of control she had over her life. Fighting his memories and desires made Marie feel as if the monster would overwhelm her completely. During the entire time she'd lived with her powers, Marie feared hurting someone she cared about and absorbing Vinnie only amplified that fear. She couldn't live with herself if she ever hurt someone she loved - especially Logan.

The sound of the key in the lock broke Marie's morbid train of thought. Logan came through the door and the odor of food made her stomach roil with hunger. "That smells like heaven." He smiled and put the bags and drinks on the small dresser.

"Feel better?"

Marie nodded. "Yeah, and I left some hot water for you."

"Ain't you generous."

She got up off the bed took a clean towel from the rack, placing it on the bedspread as if it were a picnic blanket. Logan and Marie pulled out the contents of the bags - burgers, fries, beers and a piece of chocolate cake - and arranged them on the towel.

"You want to eat or shower first?"

"Do I smell that bad?"

Hell, no. You smell like sex on a stick.

He was already standing in front of her, so she took a step towards him and wrapped her arms around his neck. She curled her fingers into his hair and put her nose in the crook of his neck, inhaling deeply. Marie felt his grip tighten on her hips as she ran her lips up and down his skin.

She brought her face back up and positioned her mouth a breath away from his as she whispered. "You smell good enough to eat."

Logan growled deeply as he put his face down and claimed her lips with his own. Marie welcomed his tongue into her mouth. She didn't understand how he could be so aggressive yet gentle at the same time. His body was flush against hers as he ran his hands over her sides while expertly using his tongue. She brought her hips to his and felt Logan tense, stilling his movements and halting their kiss immediately.

"I want this, Logan." Marie panted into his mouth.

Logan remained rooted in place, his hands still on her back. "Me too, baby. You don't know how much. But not now. Not here."

"Why?" She wondered if her voice sounded as whiny and desperate as she thought it did.

"You know why, Marie. I want this...us...to be right. Not in some dive hotel room the night before...him."

She continued winding her hands in his hair. "Maybe that's what it should be. Maybe that will purge him forever."

He moved his hands up and took her face in his hands, subtly shifting backwards so that the connection between their bodies was broken.

"No, it shouldn't be you tryin' to erase the past. That's what we'd be doin' right now, Marie. Here in this place the night before you see Cody will only mess with your head."

Marie knew he was right. As much as she did want Logan, doing it now would only be to ease her insecurity and dull the fear in her heart. Being with Logan should be about their future and she sure as hell didn't want that future starting in this place.

"Okay, you're right. But," She moved her hips back against his and brushed his lips with hers. "when this is over it's you, me and a cabin in the woods."

He kissed her fiercely, his arms encircling her torso again. "Damn straight."

They stood for a moment before Marie's gurgling stomach broke the silence. "Way to kill the mood, Marie." She chided herself.

Logan chuckled and kissed her forehead. "Let's eat."

"Fine. Then you take a shower, you stink."

"Brat."

She kissed his nose and smiled. "You wouldn't have me any other way."

"Oh, I can think of a few ways I'd have you." His sexy smirk threatened to turn her knees to jello.

"Now who's the brat?"

Logan raised his eyebrow. "Takes one to know one. Come on."

They sat together with their makeshift hotel room picnic, listening to the local news and talking about extending their road trip into a bona-fide vacation. As they ate, Marie found a renewed hope in the future. A future with Logan.

oOo