Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, the bus tour continues to Darktown in this chapter. I would love to hear from more of you!

Thanks to doctorg for her feedback and beta work.
The three women pulled in to the city by mid-morning and parked the vehicle – registered to the fictional 'Jane Cobb' – in the monthly parking garage where Ms. Cobb also had an account. The assignment was simple and straightforward; young mutant women had been disappearing in and around a mutant club in the city. Xavier had been notified by one of his informants that they might be victims of mutant trafficking or experiments. Marie, Jubilee and Kitty had been sent to get into the club to observe and gather any intel they could. The informant had provided names that the trio would need in order to gain access but they'd come early in order to survey the area and chat up anyone who might be hanging around.

Marie, Kitty and Jubilee walked into the dark establishment prepared to scope out anything suspicious and report it back to Xavier and Scott. Marie grew a little irritated when she thought of how condescending the team leader had been during the briefing. Scott had insisted the three of them take along a male member of the team for 'safety'. Marie had scoffed and asked Scott why he felt they needed an escort. He gave some excuse about one of the guys helping in a fight which just made her cranky mood worse.

"So, you're saying that we need to have a dick in order to be safe."

"No,
Rogue, I'm saying that you may need help..."

"No,
Scott, you're saying that three fully capable, experienced female members of the X-Men need a man to babysit them."

"That's not what I'm saying, Rogue. It's just...you may need backup."

"Scott, first of all, if we need back-up, we'll call for it. Second, if you want us to go in there, having a guy tagging along is only going to scare off anyone who might be interested."

Xavier interrupted. "Scott, I agree with Rogue that having a male escort is not the best plan. We need to gather information and that may inhibit their ability to complete this assignment successfully."

Take that, Scoot.


Marie maneuvered the trio through the populated club over to the bar where they ordered drinks. Kitty found them a table along the wall and the three of them sat down.

"Kits, you up for dancing?"

"Why, Rogue, I didn't think you were interested."

Jubilee laughed. "You're not her type. Rogue likes 'em hairy."

Kitty smirked. "So I've heard. Yeah, I can go out there."

"Why don't both of you go – I'll keep an eye out. Just don't go off the floor with anyone. Remember, don't eat or drink anything in here. Make sure you're listening to each other on the comm units just in case."

"Jesus, Rogue, you sound like a team leader or something." Jubilee put her hand on Marie's arm and smiled. "Will do, boss."

Marie watched as her friends made their way to the dance floor. It didn't take long before two young men approached and joined her teammates. She scanned the room, noting the various people there – some obvious mutants and others just as normal looking as the next person. Marie observed a small hallway at the back of the one story establishment. Back rooms were always a suspicious place – if women were being kidnapped from this place, it was most likely happening when they went to the restroom.

Marie spoke clearly but not too loudly into her comm unit.

"Guys, you need to head to the restrooms. Kit, take a peek through the walls and see what you can find. Gimme a signal you heard me."

Kitty's voice broke through the microphone.

"Hey, guys, where's the ladies room?!"

One of the young men said something while he pointed to the back of the room. Kitty took Jubilee by the hand.

"Be right back, guys!" Jubilee's voice echoed in Marie's ear.

Marie watched as the pair headed to the hallway. She grew uneasy not being within eyesight of her friends. One minute passed. Two minutes passed. Marie was about to stand up and make her way to the back when a tall, darkly handsome man approached the table. He smiled and gestured to the seat in front of Marie.

"Care for some company?"

Marie plastered on her most inviting smile and nodded yes. Say something, guys.

The man sat down and put his drink on the table. "So, where are your friends?"

Marie smirked and tried to remain flirtatious. "You wanted to get me alone?"

It was the man's turn to shrug. "Maybe."

"They're off doing their thing I guess. What about you? Here alone?"

"Usually am."

"A regular, huh?"

"You could say that."

Marie had cataloged an impressive array of powers over the years. She could control them easily – call upon the ones she wanted to use immediately and suppress unneeded abilities until she had use for them. Personalities, memories - everything - she could easily compartmentalize and lock away inside her head. The Professor had expressed his admiration for her mental control and had insisted that, with continued work, Marie would be able to find the right command to subdue her skin's deadly touch.

She'd called forth Logan's senses and, within seconds, red flags were everywhere. The man smelled wrong. He was telling the truth, but he was also holding back information. He desired her – but it wasn't lust as much as curiosity. Bad sign.

Marie glanced at her watch again. Five minutes since she'd seen Jubilee and Kitty head for the back. Play it cool, Marie. You're the bait. He's on the hook.

Marie smiled again. "This is my first time here. Heard some good things about this place."

The man leaned forward and took a drink from his glass. Despite his best attempts at charm, the grin on his face was nothing less than predatory. He was moving in for the kill.

"It's good to see some new faces in here. Especially one as beautiful as you."

"Flatterer."

"It's not flattery if it's the truth. What's your name?"

"Anna. Yours?"

"Vinnie."

Marie chuckled. "With that name it sounds like you should be from Jersey."

"Oh, I'm from all over. What about you?"

Marie felt Vinnie's touch snake through her mind. She tapped into her own psychic shields – a gift from the Professor himself – and was able to hear Vinnie's suggestions, but block his ability to control her actions. Hypnosis.

Follow me, Anna.

"Boston. My friends and I are looking to make a change."

"Change is good."

Come with me.

He was strong. She had to fight to maintain control.

Vinnie smiled and sat back in his chair. "Let me show you where the real party is, Anna."

"Yeah, sure."

If she hadn't been able to block his hypnotic suggestion, Marie would have been completely in his control and utterly at his mercy. This is how the girls had disappeared. Lured by Vinnie's power to somewhere they would be vulnerable. And vulnerability gets you hurt. Her ever present inner voice whispered to her, reminding Marie of things she'd rather forget.

He stood up and she followed suit, watching carefully as they approached the dark hallway where Jubilee and Kitty had gone. Marie hoped that they had been monitoring her conversation.

Vinnie passed the restrooms and approached the door at the very end of the passageway. He punched the access code into the panel and when the small beep came, Vinnie opened the door and stepped aside to let Marie in the room.

It was an office - nondescript with a desk, computer and couch. He moved to the corner of the room where a small bookcase was positioned against the wall. Vinnie's back was to Marie, but she could hear him once again punch in a code into a keypad. The familiar beep sounded again and a small panel in the wall slid open. Vinnie turned and smiled that predatory grin. Marie's blood began to pound in her ears. The sense of danger was intense and every instinct told her to run. He'll hurt me. I want to go home. She shook off the memory of being held in Magneto's lair and focused her shields again.

Go. Vinnie's hypnotic command rang in her head. She moved forward as if his words actually held her in control.

She remembered Logan's comment. Don't do anything stupid again. She was fairly sure this would qualify.

Marie walked past Vinnie and followed another short hallway. At the end, she turned right and entered a small room - chamber, really. The smell hit her so hard she thought she might vomit. Sex. Fear. Blood. There were benches along the walls where handcuffs and chains hung from pegs. A large padded table stood in the middle of the room. The lights were dim but bright enough to see the stains on the floor and a table in the corner that held various items - a purse, jacket, some jewelry. Trophies.

The last girl had worn a floral scented perfume. It was one that Marie had worn from time to time. It took every ounce of Marie's strength not to scream.

In Marie's dreams, she was fearful - terrified of Cody and of Victor. She was a victim, not knowing how to fight for herself, helpless and alone. But standing here, in the shadow of a man who would use women and throw them away like garbage, Marie was overcome with rage for the countless women who'd found themselves in this place - watching from inside a mental prison while completely under Vinnie's control. She didn't want to imagine the kinds of things he made them do; going to that place would leave her susceptible to his suggestions.

Vinnie moved from behind Marie and walked to the large table. He turned to her and smiled that sickening grin once again.

"Anna, you are quite a prize. Lay down."

She clamped down on the pull in her mind and stepped toward Vinnie.

"Did you kill them? Or are you just into torture?"

He blinked his eyes and Marie saw a flash of confusion before he refocused his power. The suggestion in her mind became stronger. Lay down.

"Did you sell them to someone who is even more of a sick fuck than you?"

Obey, Anna.

Her fury was building so fast she heard the blood pound through her ears. In an instant, Magneto's power flowed through her body. Marie smiled as the chains flew off the wall and wrapped themselves around Vinnie's neck. She slowly moved toward him while Vinnie struggled to loosen the metal. He fell to his knees.

"How? How can you do this?" His previously calm voice was strained and terrified.

"I have a lot of tricks up my sleeve, Vinnie. Now it's your turn to be afraid."

For a moment, Marie was taken aback at the force of her desire to kill Vinnie. The need for justice - No...vengeance - consumed her.

"Marie!"

Marie didn't turn around at the sound of Jubilee's voice. She remained stock still, watching the chain around Vinnie's neck grow tighter and tighter - reveling in the fear that masked his face.

"Marie, stop it. This isn't you."

"Jubilee, he brought them here."

"We know. We found it just before you did."

Tighter. Pull the chain tighter.

"He needs to die."

"You know we don't kill..."

"Fuck that!"

Tears were streaming down Marie's face now. All of the rage she'd bottled up inside for the last seven years boiled over with violent ferocity. She tapped into it, allowed it to wash over her and fuel her actions. The Wolverine inside her head roared. Marie moved closer to Vinnie and bent down, placing her face directly in front of his. Her voice was laced with venom.

"I'm being merciful, Vinnie boy. At least you haven't been raped and tortured. Although," she cocked her head to the side, "maybe I should just so you know how they felt, you son of a bitch."

Marie didn't see Vinnie move in enough time to avoid his grasp. He clamped his hands firmly around her neck - her bare neck. Instantly, she felt the pull of her power as Vinnie's memories - oh God, no - and powers poured into her mind. Marie reared back but he held on more tightly than she would have expected. So many images, feelings...desires...flooded her brain. She watched as Vinnie gulped like a dying fish gasping for air as she drained him of life. As suddenly as he'd grabbed her, Vinnie let go and slumped to the floor.

Marie stumbled backwards, practically falling into Jubilee and Kitty's arms. She crumpled to the ground and stared at Vinnie. She saw everything he'd done; knew what he liked and how he enjoyed every aspect of controlling and violating the women he took. Marie shook with the sheer weight of Vinnie's evil. She had thought she'd seen evil before - she had been so wrong.

Jubilee and Kitty watched as the chain violently twisted and snapped Vinnie's neck. His breathing stopped and his dead eyes stared into space. Into hell.

Jubilee took Marie by the arm and dragged her to a standing position.

"Kit, get us out of this fucking place."

Marie felt Kitty's hand grip her arm and lead her to the back wall where Kitty and Jubilee had phased through earlier. Marie closed her eyes and, after only a few moments, felt the cool night air. Jubilee's voice was gentle and soothing while her arm wrapped protectively around Marie's shoulder.

"C'mon, chica. Let's go home."

oOo

Logan had alternated between the garage and the danger room throughout the day. Anything to provide a distraction and outlet for his restlessness. Right now he was tinkering on his bike to pass time since there would be no relaxing until she came back. He'd had to resist the urge to jump on his bike and follow them to the city. But if she was going to trust him, he had to trust her. She was fully capable of taking care of herself on a mission - God knows he'd seen it for himself. His confidence in her abilities didn't lessen the stress of knowing she was out there without him to back her up. And he remembered what happened the last time he wasn't there for her.

Logan heard the car's engine and ran out of the garage, his eyes searching the dark for the vehicle's headlights. When he saw them pierce through the blackness, he breathed a sigh of relief. If something had gone wrong, they would have called for backup. Logan stepped aside as Jubilee drove into the garage. The car parked and Kitty climbed out of the passenger side. The door opened and Logan reeled at the scent carried on the gust of air. It was a stench he was all too familiar with. Death. He panicked, only vaguely aware of Kitty saying something about Marie being alright. Logan wrenched open the door and found Marie sitting in the back seat; staring forward, not even acknowledging Logan's presence.

"Logan. She's probably in shock."

Ignoring Kitty, Logan put his hand on Marie's arm, hoping that she would turn and smile at him to signal that everything was fine. But it was obvious Marie was far from alright.

"What the fuck is wrong with her."

Jubilee spoke next. "Wolvie, it's a long story. Help her out and let's get her up to the Professor."

So many questions raced through his mind. So many fears implanted themselves in his chest. He had to calm down. There would be time for answers. Now, he just needed to feel Marie against him. Logan reached across her lap and unbuckled her seat belt. He moved Marie gingerly toward him and gathered her in his arms. She tucked her head in the crook of Logan's neck and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. Logan inhaled her scent but there was something bitter and acrid underlying her normally earthy aroma.

"Are we home?" Marie's voice sounded so fragile.

"Yeah, baby. You're home. I've gotcha."

He felt her sigh as if she'd been holding her breath for an eternity.

I've got you, Marie.

oOo

Scott, Xavier, Storm and Jean were already in the briefing room when Logan and the women arrived. Logan sat Marie in one of the chairs and took a seat next to her. He held onto her hand as Charles began to ask Jubilee and Kitty questions. Logan paid attention but didn't take his eyes of Marie as she listened impassively to Jubilee's description of the events. She made it up to the point where Jubilee and Kitty discovered the chamber before Scott interrupted.

"And where was Rogue during this time?"

Jubilee answered. "She was with the man known as Vinnie. He is...was...the owner of the club."

"Was? What do you mean was?"

Logan looked up immediately and saw the glance exchanged between Kitty and Jubilee. He was about to ask his own question when Marie spoke.

"He's dead."

The room fell silent. Xavier placed his hands on the large table in the middle of the room and leaned forward.

"Rogue, tell us what happened."

Marie finally looked up, taking a moment to inspect the faces of the X-Men leaders. Scott was tense; Jean compassionate, Storm concerned and Charles understanding. She couldn't yet look at Logan. Marie spoke with quiet determination.

"While Jubilee and Kitty inspected the club, Vinnie came to my table. He chatted me up for a minute and then I felt him try to plant a suggestion in my mind. He was a hypnotist. If it hadn't been for you providing me with psychic shields, Professor, we might all be in that..." Logan felt her shudder. "...place right now."

Marie took a breath and continued. Logan could smell the tension and fear radiating from her body.

"I pretended to be under the hypnosis and followed him into the back office. He had a secret chamber...a dungeon...behind a bookshelf. He took the women there. Raped them. Tortured them."

Jean and Storm gasped. Xavier leaned back in his chair. Scott crossed his arms and looked at the floor.

"I subdued him."

Logan sensed the lie as soon as it came out of her mouth. She'd attacked Vinnie. He would have done the same damn thing.

Jubilee came to Marie's defense. "She was brilliant. Had him completely contained. Then..."

The women fell silent again. Logan knew something bad was coming. He needed to know what it was. He needed to know right now.

"What the fuck happened, Jubes."

"Vinnie touched Rogue...on her face."

Logan turned to the side and stared at Marie. She sat there with her hand in Logan's and he saw her jaw clench and unclench. Her nostrils flared. The anger began to rise inside her again.

"He touched you? He put his fuckin' hands on you?"

Logan flew to his feet, feeling the itch of his claws ready to explode from his hands. That asshole had touched Marie. That sick fuck had wanted to violate her physically but the worst thing he could have done was rape her mentally. Marie absorbed his power and his memories. She would have seen...everything. He wanted to eviscerate the son of a bitch himself.

"I killed him."

Her voice didn't waver. There was no tremble or fear when she spoke. Marie was resolute.

"Rogue, you know we can't condone murder..."

Logan turned on Scott so fast even the team leader flinched. He was about to tear the Boy Scout a new asshole when Marie interrupted. She stared down Summers so intensely, it even took Logan aback.

"I killed that son of a bitch and I'm glad I did. You weren't there. You didn't see the blood on the walls or experience the smells in that place. He enjoyed it. Enjoyed every sick fucking minute of it. And I was going to be next. Then maybe Jubilee and Kitty."

She stood up and, in two strides she was at the edge of the briefing table. Marie placed her hands on the polished marble.

"But if you're worried about information, don't worry. It's all up here." She pointed a gloved finger at her temple. "I've got names, places and dates. Plenty to bring down his sicko friends. So don't worry, Scott. Your precious mission didn't fail."

Xavier interrupted before Scott could speak again.

"Rogue, I'm sorry."

Logan could sense that Charles Xavier was heartbroken. He'd always been so concerned with Marie and Logan knew to see her this way made him feel as if he'd thrown her into that room himself.

"So am I Professor."

Marie turned and left the room quietly. Logan watched her go, waiting until the door shut before he faced Scott.

"Don't you ever come at her like that again."

"Logan, it was a recon mission. It never should have gone that far."

"Probably not. But it did. And I bet if Jean was in that position, you would have blown the freak to kingdom come."

Logan turned to Kitty and Jubilee. "Thanks for havin' her back."

They nodded and he left the room, slamming the door as he went. In the hallway, he inhaled deeply, noting Marie's changed scent as he took off after her.