Author's Chapter Notes:
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I thought I'd get this up today because December is going to be insanely busy and I'm not sure if I will get up another chapter very soon.
After giving himself time to calm down, Logan returned inside to see if Marie had arrived for breakfast yet. It was early, and only a few students and staff were milling about, filling their plates and chatting quietly at the tables. There was no sign of Marie. Logan fought the panic nipping at the base of his stomach as he moved through the hallways, grunting absently in response to anyone who bid him good morning. It wouldn't be a good morning until he was sure Marie was okay.

He didn't bother knocking when he arrived at her room and the panic slithered its way around his chest as he realized she wasn't there. Logan stepped back outside and began to locate her scent. Finding its path, he tracked her upstairs to the Professor's room. He took a breath, relieved to know she was in the mansion; banishing the dread that had filled his entire being at the idea she might be gone.

Logan stood outside Xavier's room, alternately pacing and leaning against the dark, wood paneled walls as he waited for her to emerge. As soon as Marie had placed that tentative kiss on his lips last night, he was completely lost to her. The Wolverine had recognized Marie as their mate a long time ago and Logan had spent years attempting to ignore its voice in his head. Now, both Logan and the Wolverine were united in their need to be with her. Waiting to see Marie again made the animal growl and tense with anxiety. It was all Logan could do to resist bursting into the room to make sure Marie was safe.

Thirty minutes of waiting felt like an eternity. Just as Logan was feeling the need to give in to the temptation to shred the heavy and expensive door that stood between him and Marie, the door handle turned and she exited the room. She stopped for a moment, her initial surprise giving way to amusement and relief. He crossed the relatively large hallway and gathered her small frame in his large arms without a word.

The earthy, natural smell of Marie flooded his nostrils and he inhaled it as deeply as one of his cherished cigars. The bitterness that had permeated through her when she'd returned from the mission was absent. Her aroma was the salve on the Wolverine's raw nerves and Logan felt the animal calm instantly. Marie remained silent for a few moments, her body relaxing at his touch.

"I told him. He agrees that Vinnie's power may have been the key to suppressing my skin."

"At least you got somethin' good outta that bastard."

"I'd say the ability to hypnotize you into doing what I want is pretty good."

"Baby, I'll already do whatever you want."

Marie's arms tightened further around his waist and she was positive Logan actually purred. Wonder what would happen if I scratched his tummy. The thought made her giggle. Laughing was on the long list of things she'd been denying herself for far too long. It was time to stop living in a bubble of misery; haunted by a past that couldn't hurt her anymore.

She leaned back and took the opportunity to really study Logan's eyes. He put on such a convincing tough guy mask but it was easily betrayed by his eyes. They were the true windows to his soul; dark and piercing when he was angry and the Wolverine was close to breaking through; but full of light when he was relaxed. All one had to do was to look into Logan's eyes and they would see the truth of who he was. And, for Marie, he was her proverbial Prince Charming. Albeit, a Prince Charming with a predilection for eviscerating bad guys, swearing and smoking cigars; but she wouldn't have him any other way.

"You have pretty eyes, Logan."

"Never had anyone associate me and the word pretty before."

"Well, they are."

He moved his hand to caress her cheek, still in disbelief that he could actually feel her skin without worrying he might hurt her.

"You're the pretty one. Case of Beauty and the Beast right here, I'd say."

Marie laughed again and Logan smiled at her reaction. Her face lit up when she was happy. He was going to make a point to keep her that way.

"Well, Beast, I'm hungry. Let's find out what the castle has for breakfast."

"As long as the forks and knives don't start singin' and dancin'."

Her laughter echoed like music through the hallway.

oOo

Logan and Marie sat outside at one of the small tables just a short distance away from where Logan had his earlier conversation with Jubilee. They were alone thanks to Logan's well timed glare at a small group of students who were debating whether to eat inside or on the patio. The kids wisely chose to stay inside.

He didn't want to force her to eat but Logan had made sure to put a few extra items on her plate to try and get her some extra nutrition. They ate together in companionable silence, listening to the leaves rustle on the trees and the birds serenade each other in the glow of the morning sun.

"You trying to fatten me up?"

He stopped eating and watched as Marie's right eyebrow snaked up with the question.

"Nah, darlin'. Just want to make sure you're eatin' enough."

"I think bacon, eggs, a bagel, muffin, fruit and yogurt is a bit more than enough."

Logan shrugged. "I'll eat what you don't finish."

She watched him return to eating, knowing he was playing off his concern with nonchalance. Logan's need to take care of her was in overdrive and she just had to resign herself to the fact that now that she'd let him in, he was going to take his job very seriously. Not that she minded the extra attention. It was nice to have someone want to make sure she was alright. Remy had cared but she wouldn't let him treat her as anything other than a member of the team; capable of handling herself. Marie didn't want to be the badass lone ranger anymore. Logan obviously felt the same.

"Thanks for looking out for me, Logan."

Logan paused his chewing for a moment and caught her eyes. Her guard was finally down. Rather than the normally stubborn look she projected, there was the sweetness and caring that was all Marie. He reached across the small table and took her hand.

"We're a team now, Marie. I'm always gonna look out for you. Got it?"

Marie smiled. "Got it."

"Good. Now eat some more."

She took another few bites of her bacon. After a few moments, Marie began to fidget and avoid eye contact. Logan could smell the indecision coming off of her in waves. Her throat was constricting and her breath shaky and nervous. She wanted to say something but her fear was holding her back.

"You know you can tell me anythin' Marie."

Marie stopped moving instantly. She closed her eyes and shook her head slowly.

"I always forget about those damn senses of yours. That's gonna make for some embarrassing moments in the future."

Logan shrugged. "Not for me. Just means you're mine."

They locked eyes again and Marie almost shuddered from the intensity.

"Just start where you can, baby. I'm not gonna judge you."

"I know. It's just…there's so much you should know before you decide to…"

Logan shifted forward immediately and the plates and silverware rattled as his hands gripped either side of the table.

"I've already decided, Marie. Nothin' you say is gonna change that. Nothin'."

"I just feel like you could do so much better, you know? There's plenty of women out there who don't have the baggage I do and we're not starting this...relationship with me in the best place."

"Marie, when we met I was cage fightin'. No memory of my past, pissed off at the world. I'm not exactly the poster boy for stable, girl. I get you. You get me. Nothin' in your past is gonna scare me."

They stared at each other for a few moments before Marie smiled gently and nodded her head. She sat back and crossed her arms, looking down on her plate as she spoke.

"Cody was the reason my mutation surfaced. You put two and two together after my nightmare so I know you figured that one out. I'll spare you the details."

"If it'll help to talk about it..."

"I don't know if it will. I've given it power over my life for too long. It just pisses me off that he took something so special away from me. Something that should have been shared with someone I cared about. Someone I loved."

Logan's hands clenched the table.

"Those stupid fucking movies don't tell you how much it hurts the first time. They make it out to be this flowery, passionate experience but it hurts. Maybe if it had been with someone else, that part wouldn't have been so bad."

Maybe if it had been with you, it would have been wonderful.

Marie closed her eyes against the thought. She took another breath and opened them once again. Logan was staring down the empty juice glass and she knew he wanted to shred the table with his claws but, bless him, he just sat there and listened. Marie took a breath and continued.

"When I absorbed Vinnie, for the first time I understood what Cody was thinking. The power over someone else. Seeing them fear you and know that you're in complete control...it seduced me. In those moments with Remy and Callisto, I was almost turned on by it. What if it doesn't go away, Logan? What if I end up like Vinnie or Cody or..."

Logan watched as Marie fought with herself over continuing. He knew she wanted to get it out but there was something holding her back.

"Marie, you'll never be like them. You're the best person I know."

"But what if I'm not? What if this was the breaking point for what I can take? The Professor thinks I'm fine but we need to be careful. Vinnie was powerful. What if his sick fantasies become mine? I could hurt you or Jubilee or someone else."

"You won't."

"You can't guarantee that, Logan."

"I'm not gonna let that happen. I'm not gonna let that bastard win."

Marie sighed and leaned forward on the table. She was so damn tired. But Logan needed to know everything and she might as well get it all out now.

"There's something else you need to know, Logan. It's about Victor Creed. When Magneto kidnapped me, he kept me in this place that was like some medieval dungeon. It was cold and wet and smelled. When Victor put me in the room he said that I reeked of 'him'. I didn't know what he meant until I figured out he was talking about you. It must have been when you hugged me on the train, I guess. Magneto went down to check out his machine and Victor came in."

Logan's resolve could take only so much. She watched his jaw clench and unclench as she spoke.

"He said that he couldn't stand me smelling like 'that runt'. He came toward me and I took off my gloves. I had every intention of dropping the guy but he was too big and too fast. He hit me over and over. I remember being on the floor with him above me, sneering and saying something about living dangerously when I heard Erik's voice. I passed out and woke up on the boat."

Jubilee hadn't mentioned anything about what Victor had said. Why would he be gunning for me? Something scratched at the back of Logan's mind. A memory, just out of reach of his mental touch. His ever-elusive past kept rearing its ugly head when Logan least expected it. Now this. Whatever his connection to Victor Creed, it had cost Marie dearly.

His voice dripped with agony. "That bastard hurt you because of me."

Logan was out of his chair and at Marie's side before she even realized it. He pushed her chair to the side and knelt between her knees, taking her face in his hands. The sheer depth of the pain on his face made Marie's breath catch. He stared into her eyes for a moment before placing a gentle kiss on her forehead, then her cheek and, finally, her lips. Then he touched his forehead to hers.

"Listen to me, girl. Those assholes were sick twisted fucks. You aren't like them and I won't let whatever is in your head hurt you or anyone else. I'm gonna have your back every second of every day."

"Logan you can't..."

"I mean it, Marie. No one is ever gonna hurt you again. No one. Not Vinnie, not Cody and not Victor goddamned Creed. I fuckin' promise you that."

Logan gathered Marie in his powerful arms and held her to him. He would be damned if anyone harmed her again. His Marie. His mate.