Author's Chapter Notes:
Logan's POV from here on out.
Easing away from our resting spot, I check out the street ahead of us. All is quiet like it has been for months. No MTF, no sentinels, people can actually be seen going about the streets during certain times of the day. Once again people and mutants are gathering in large groups. They are trying to rebuild some semblance of society. Even Xavier is hopeful as Magneto has surfaced to help rebuild.

Me, I think it is a calm before the storm. Nothing can make me shake that feeling. Everything around me is in the new growth of spring and I don't feel it.

We'd been at the old subway tunnels today helping a small group resettle with those living there. Marie had watched the children play, a wistful look in her eyes. She is no longer wondering if, but when. On those rare moments like today, I let her hope and enthusiasm override my doom and gloom.

She has it all planned out, including a few supplies tucked away at Hank's. Blankets she'd scrounged, clothes she'd remade, whatever she could get her hands on. She joked that it was a good thing she'd always been interested in cloth diapering.

I glance back at her as she steps out of the shelter. A smile creases my face, my woman all aglow even as uncomfortable as she's been lately. No matter what I say, she refuses to take it easy.

Marie tries to hide it, but she's been experiencing false labor pains for a couple of weeks. She covers it up well, but I've seen her tense, can sense the pain they cause. I've got myself a headstrong woman and the most I can do for her is make sure I don't cause her more stress than necessary. That and back massages.

I turn to move out, taking lead but don't get more than a step. Something is wrong. A slightly sweet smell, a trickle of... My head snaps back around to a wide-eyed Marie, standing stock still, her water running down her legs.

"Logan?" Her voice is shaky, uncertain.

"Shit." It is one thing talking and planning; a whole different thing to actually be caught off guard in the middle of nowhere without a plan.

Scooping her up, I start to jog back to the tunnels. This isn't plan A, not even plan D, but the community is closer than Hank's and there is a midwife. I'd seen several babies there earlier and know that is the best place for help. A runner can be sent to fetch Hank if need be.

Smoothing out my stride, I hold her tight. Her arms are around my neck, head buried in my shoulder. The first time in weeks she hasn't argued with me about the best course of action. All her bravado of the past months has vanished.

Things had been simpler a year ago before we become lovers. Back when Marie took orders like the others, though I know I worried about her just as much then, too. Things may have been simpler but I have no regrets at the turn of events in our personal lives.

Slowing, I navigate the debris that leads up to the tunnels. My lungs are burning, muscles aching, though I've never had a sense of purpose like this before.

The midwife greets us at the entrance to her dwelling. "Knew you'd be back to see me," she said with a smile.

Fair-haired Gia, the midwife with an ever-present smile, shoos her children out to play. Only her oldest remains to assist. The two women busy themselves making Marie comfortable and keeping me out of the way.

I want to say everything progressed normally, but I've never had first-hand experience with this. Gia said it was the fastest delivery she'd done in a while. However, there seemed to be an awful lot of Marie being in pain, pushing, and blood. The best I could do was support her figuratively and literally.

In the end, I hold a tired Marie as she nurses our baby girl. It is the first sense of contentment I've had in some time. All the worries of the world seem to be far away.

"She's going to need a name," I comment, drawing a fingertip across what little bit of dark hair clings to the baby's head.

"Mmm..." Marie answers quietly. "And no, Hope is not in the running. She doesn't need to be one of five girls in her class with that name. Been there, done that."

I chuckle at her and she elbows me playfully in return. "So," I prompt.

"Laura, from a book I read a long time ago." Marie readjusts the baby, who's sleeping again. "I read the whole series and we've talked about eventually making our way up North to that cabin in the woods. I want our daughter to have a childhood like the book. Little House in the Big Woods. Something better than this anyway."

Grunting in response, I turn the idea over in my head. An odd bit of information makes it's way to the forefront. "Laura...honor and victory. Good choice." We can certainly use more honor in the world right now.

My plans change as I hold Marie and Laura close to my chest. As soon as they can travel, we'll get out of Gia's way. Then when things even out and my dire predictions prove false we'll make long term plans. Plans that give Marie that life she wants for Laura.

Some place up North in the forest, with big snows in the winter and wildflowers in the summer. A place where this life is nothing but a far away memory.