Marie woke up with a start, sitting bolt upright on the hard surface she'd fallen asleep on. Something was different, it was all wrong. She could hear the alarm in the distance. Had Wolverine come for her?

Maybe he couldn't make it to her. She needed to run while she could, he would catch up to her. He would find her, he had before, he would again.

Out in the open away from the facility, she ran through the cold. Through the trees toward an empty space in the distance.  She told herself she'd be safe once she made it there. 




Logan was glad that on these late nights he had a healing factor. One of the kids accidentally started a fire and set off the main alarm system. Pyro quickly put the fire out while he turned off the alarm and the rest of the staff did crowd control. 

With everything under control, he headed back to the upper level where he'd left Marie asleep on the old window seat. He hadn't even made it out of the dorm wing when he knew something was off. Nothing he could give a name to, but he quickened his pace. 

Before he got to the back stairs, he caught Marie's scent, full of confusion and terror. His stomach knotted up for the second he took to deduce she was alone. Immediately, he followed her scent outside. 

Frost had already formed and her haphazard, stumbling path was plain as day. Instinctively, he knew where he would find her and started off at a dead run. He took in great lungfuls of cold, crisp air to calm his racing mind. 

The only explanation he was coming up with was a nightmare. He knew exactly how real they could seem and was sure that the alarm and being alone hadn't helped. Cursing under his breath he ran on. He'd become too complacent in their routine, with her progress. Just because things looked fine on the surface, didn't mean they were. 

Sliding to a halt at the meadow, he promptly spotted her at the foundation for the cabin. Approaching cautiously, he called out to her, "Marie?"

Her fear was rapidly fading, and he saw some of the strain in her body decrease. "Wasn't a dream," she told him. Her voice still held a quiver of uncertainty. 

"Which part, Darlin'?" He kept his speech low and steady. A shiver ran through her as she stood there in nothing else but his old t-shirt. Shucking his flannel shirt, he wrapped it around her damp frame. 

Turning her head, she blinked at him then looked back at the cabin. "This one." She took a jittery breath, "Couldn't tell...was afraid..."

"The nightmare was all you had," he finished for her.

"One step forward," she said in disappointment. 

"Two back," he confirmed, scooping her up into his arms. Her condition after her run in the dark concerned him. There were multiple scrapes and cuts needing tending. "Let's get you back to the room and cleaned up."

She nodded her head then rested it on his shoulder. Placing a hand on his chest, she felt the need to apologize. Without reason, she'd fled. "Didn't mean to alarm you."

"It's okay," He'd given her plenty of grief with his dreams that there was no need for her to be sorry. "Want to talk?"

He always offered and sometimes they did, but tonight it was too close, too raw. "No," she said voice still shaky.

Maybe later but for now it was sufficient that he'd come for her and was taking care of her. He brushed his lips against her forehead. It was moments like this she knew he really did care. She only hoped he knew she cared for him too. 




"Shh...," Logan warned, pulling her tight. They'd stepped out for a breather after lunch taking advantage of the rare sunny day between snow storms. Apparently, they weren't the only ones.

Marie peeked over his shoulder through the wooden slats of the old arbor. Jubilee had taken a walk in the snow and Pyro was jogging to catch up to her. They started talking, no arguing. She could tell by their posture.

"What are they saying?" Marie asked quietly of Logan who hadn't moved from the bench where she kneeled beside him.  She knew he could hear them even if she couldn't. 

Logan normally tuned this stuff out and Marie never cared what others talked about. However, she'd taken an interest in Jubilee's reintegration to life at the mansion. It was her one real social connection outside of himself so he indulged her.  

He pulled her leg over him, so she straddled him but could still see over his shoulder. Holding her securely, he whispered into her ear as she continued to observe the two. 

You abandoned us.  Marie knew Jubilee was accusing Pyro of leaving her, she'd struggled with similar thoughts. Not that Logan had abandoned her but alone in the lab she'd had too much time to think. 

I know I'm sorry. We weren't doing enough here.  Pyro shrugged and there wasn't much more he could do for Jubilee but explain and be there for her. Marie squeezed Logan's shoulder, he'd done that and so much more for her. 

Went with a madman.  Marie snorted, she could have told Pyro that before he left. He kind of deserved the finger currently being jabbed in his chest. 

Poor choice in the end. Logan took advantage of Marie's diverted attention and skimmed his hand up underneath her open jacket, slowly unbuttoning her blouse. 

You expect me to forget?  Pushing Logan's hand away, she leaned into him to ward off the cool air. Undaunted, he found the hem of her skirt and glided his hand up her leg. 

"He's reaching out...touching her cheek." Marie had unconsciously wound her hand into Logan's hair holding him still. He was good at multitasking whereas her mind was still single track most of the time. She needed to know how this would work out for Jubilee and Logan's nuzzling was distracting. "She's leaning into it."

No. Just forgive. Marie's eyes slid closed, Logan’s voice was so low and husky in her ear, how could he compartmentalize so easily? Her eyes snapped open, she needed to concentrate on something besides his hand kneading her thigh. 

"She slapped his hand away," she said, perturbed by this development. 

Supposed to fall into your arms? Marie let out a frustrated sigh as Pyro stuck his hands into his pockets, shrugging again. 

Marie held her breath, waiting for Jubilee to make a decision. Logan could sense her disappointment and rubbed a soothing hand along her back. "Standing there. She wants to hit him."

Damn you. Jubilee made a move to push Pyro but ended up grabbing him instead and pulling him to her.

"They're kissing," Marie gasped, eyes widening.  In her excitement, she turned and placed a kiss behind Logan's ear, the first spot she could reach. In return, he pinched her buttock. 

It was all very confusing, but thinking back Marie knew anyone that had looked at her and Logan might have thought the same thing. Still might, not understanding the dynamics between them. She watched as Jubilee stomped off and Pyro followed with a silly grin on his face.  

There was only one thing Marie wanted to know, "Can she trust him?"

Logan had to smile at how far she'd come, from barely worrying about herself to being concerned about a friend. "He'll do right by her."

"Will have to do," she said with a nod. "Can't all get a Logan to love." 

Snorting he pulled her in for a kiss. "Love you too." He took his time kissing a trail down her throat, making his way to her exposed breasts. She ground down onto him as she purred into his ear. 




All winter long, since they'd first moved into the cabin, Marie had been constructing this rug. The women she worked with had shown her how to fashion strips of old fabric into rugs. There was no shortage of clothes beyond repair to use. The first denim one she made sat proudly on his side of the bed.

The rug on her side showed a little more skill and patience. All the others around the cabin had been made before they moved in. Logan knew it had been important to her to contribute to the cabin. Jubilee had even helped her to measure windows and make curtains. He really didn't mind that the lacy, sparkly bedroom curtains appeared to be made of an old ball gown. It made Marie happy. 

It was small strides like those that he used to gauge her progress. There had been a big celebration after the New Year to mark a legislative victory and several other inroads that Xavier and Jean had made in Congress. Marie had willingly participated and then quietly let him know she’d had enough after a while. She had a ways to go, but she wanted to take those steps toward healing.  

Watching her now from the doorway to the empty room, he realized the large colorful rug covered almost the entire space and was complete. He'd teased her all winter about how bright it was. She was currently putting the finishing touches on a smaller rug she'd made that was slightly more muted but just as colorful. 

"Where's the monstrosity going?" he asked with a hint of laughter.

Marie gave him a look she'd developed during the winter months. It was halfway between indignation and a pout. She looked sexy as hell doing it. More than once it had put an end to his teasing and started something else. He thought about stealing a kiss, but she was already back to stitching. 

"Here." She waved a hand with the needled around. "Can't stay empty forever."

They'd talked about this off and on. The room felt odd without anything in it. Logan had said in the spring he'd start building some furniture for the room. She hoped he'd make log beds out of pine like what he'd done for their room.  There was still one project she had in mind she hadn't talked to him about. 

Snipping the last thread on her latest rug, she held it up for him to inspect. She'd become good at these rugs, but this was probably the last for the foreseeable future. There were other items she would need to start working on. Time went all too quickly and the lab was over two years ago and much had changed, mostly for the better. 

Things at the mansion ran about as normal as they could. Her nightmares had lessened. Logan was right, they would never be completely gone, but there in the cabin, her home, they seemed more manageable. Her life was more manageable. 

She still worked with the other women and learned to alter clothing for others. The outside world had a never-ending stream of old clothes to donate. Occasionally she helped out with the preschool that had been set up for younger children. She still preferred the clothes as she could wrestle them into submission but she was relearning how to deal with people through the kids. 

Taking the rug, he looked it over. "Best one yet," he commented, earning him a smile. He took her hand and helped her up. "Where's it going?"

"Crib," she answered. 

Reflexively, he breathed in her scent. He thought that here in their home, he'd become satisfied, content; and overlooked something he shouldn't have. Though he didn't miss her rolling her eyes at him. (Definitely spending far too much time with Jubilee.) Her way of telling him he was being silly. 

Pulling her shirt off over her head, she met his gaze. Marie still put a smile on his face when she suddenly switched gears, giving him little warning that she wanted him. Her abruptness never failed to fascinate him, whether it was after a compliment on her cooking, in the middle of chopping wood, or when he looked up from a book. After the initial surprise, she was more than happy to let him know the delight she took in having sex. 

Logan raised an eyebrow at her and she realized she'd been discourteous again and forgotten her social cues. It usually happened when she had been concentrating on something and a random thought crossed her mind of how much she loved him. The impulse to show him followed, which she rarely fought. 

It was just that sometimes in the evening when he read aloud to her from whatever book he'd picked up; he'd look at her with those soft eyes and she couldn't help herself. Or last week when he'd been chopping wood and it occurred to her how much he'd done for her, for them. She'd wanted to show her appreciations. It didn't hurt that he was receptive or pretended to let her 'talk' him into it. 

Marie looked at him seriously, but he could see the amusement in her eyes. "Might need to practice."

Snorting, he bent down for a kiss and let her take the rug from his hands. Two years later some of her scars had faded, been muted by time. Others were almost as vivid as the first time he'd seen them. A good, steady diet helped, he could see by the way it filled out her curves and that the gloss had returned to her hair. He had many regrets where she was concerned; namely making it necessary to rescue her in the first place. Never would he regret loving her. 

He must have been telegraphing his thoughts as she gave him that pouty look followed by, "Don't go there."

The first time they'd had sex, Marie remembered the confusion she felt, the uncertainty of what she wanted or needed. However, that was something of the past. Now she reveled in Logan's touch no matter how he went about it. She was secure in the knowledge that he would never do anything to hurt her. They had crossed that bridge long ago and though she knew he sometimes held back for her sake. There had also been times when she'd approached him knowing that he wouldn't hold back. Those times she marked him the best she could, however temporarily.

Taking her time, she slowly undressed him. Her touches were practiced and smooth and he let her do as she pleased. He stopped her as she began a descending pattern of kisses on his abdomen. Peering up at him she saw the glint of lust in his eyes. She knew the way she was crouched there was no hiding the scent of her arousal, not that she wanted to. 

Marie wanted him to hear her heart racing, and her increased breathing. She liked to hear him growl in approval. Smiling at him she decided on a different course of action and retaining her grip on his hip, she pulled him down on the floor with her. 

Logan didn't hesitate as she guided him to her entrance. In one smooth slide, he thrust into her, stopping to shift position as he sheathed himself completely. Spreading her knees further apart she sighed in pleasure. 

Resting his forehead on hers, he whispered, "Practice, huh?"

She sucked at his bottom lip then wrapped her legs around him. Beginning to move, she answered, "Lots."

Capturing her lips, he started a hard steady rhythm that left them both panting. Over time, this had become the one thing that she never hid her feelings during. There were still social situations where she shut down, buried it all, but not with him. Never during sex. His affection and love were always hers for the taking. 

Grabbing at him, pulling him deeper, she felt the pressure build as her body began to shake. He never failed to make her feel good. Especially since she had opened herself up to loving him in return. 

A tension was building in his body. She could feel his muscles straining to maintain this pace, to provide the friction she craved. There was nothing slow about this and she grabbed hold of his ass trying to grind onto him. The sweat on his skin told her he was on the threshold too. 

She arched away from him and he took the opportunity to lean in and lightly bite her neck. He broke away to breathe in her scent. "So fucking beautiful," he murmured, thrusting into her. She fell apart underneath him, taking him over the edge with her. 

After climaxing, he used the last of his energy to roll them over so she wouldn't bear the brunt of his weight. She wiggled around a little, getting comfortable. Resting her crossed arms on his chest, she nestled her chin on them so she could examine him. 

"Thank you."

He grunted, then smirked at her. "My pleasure."

She fixed him with a stare and the smirk faded. There was so much she was grateful for. He'd given her a ride, saved her life multiple times, rescued her from the lab and most of all stuck with her while she put herself back together. "For everything," she stated knowing it didn't come close to how she felt. 

The love in his eyes was plain to see. He swept the stray hairs behind her ear and bent upward to place a kiss on her forehead. She knew he understood and didn't shy away from it. 

"Anytime." It was the conviction in his voice that confirmed the choice she'd made about their future. No matter what, he would be there to help her. She wasn't alone in this life, she didn't need to hide herself away from him.

A quiet moment passed before he asked, "You think we're ready?"

The way he stated the question made her love him even more. He always used we, even when it was her decision, letting her know they were in it together. "Here with you," Marie shrugged a shoulder. "If it happens, it happens."

The girl Rogue was gone, replaced by Marie. She was more than what others had tried to make her into. Logan helped her see she wasn't a victim, she didn't need to be frozen in the situations foisted on her. 

Most of all she could choose to do things she didn't think she could manage on her own. He would always have her best interest at heart. If need be, there was a whole mansion full of people not too far way to back them up. 

Sitting up, she pulled him with her. Staying in his lap, she played with his wild hair and wondered if all his offspring would have that. There was only one way to find out. "We need-"

Logan cut her off, "-more practice," he finished with a smile. He didn't have to wait for that crooked little smile to grace her features, or wait for the words 'love you', to know they would be okay. They'd face their problems together and that was enough for him. 

~*~