Stretching out on the grass, Logan let his conscious mind slip into the background and unfurled his instincts. Out away from camp, he could appreciate the different smells and sounds, all that nature had to offer. The natural sounds of the evening let him unwind and fortify himself.
 
After their encounter two days ago, Marie had gone back to keeping to herself. She helped out as needed but talked to no one and took her meals alone. He'd wanted to approach her, but they'd regrouped and moved again, leaving little time for him to do anything of a personal nature.
 
Scouting out the new camp location had given him time to think. He couldn't see a way around this predicament he'd caused. Maybe she would come over from her hiding spot and they could deal with it. Not that she would tell him what was on her mind, but he might be able to decipher more about what she needed.
 
Rogue stood by one of the trees and watched him. He had a lot of responsibilities and she tried to stay out of the way. Really she tried to stay out everyone's way so she wouldn't hinder their work. She felt better simply following orders; the others said she was helpful and seemed to think that was good. It wasn't in her to question their judgment.
 
He on the other hand, gave her space and didn't try to foist anything on her. He intrigued her more than he had in the old days. She knew he rescued her because of the promise. Not that she'd expected it where she'd been held, but it made him more interesting that he followed through when he didn't have to. Then he'd done something else for her and she didn't quite know what to make of that.
 
"Don't mind the company, but you could come closer."
 
It was a few minutes before she emerged from the group of trees. She didn't appear surprised at beginning caught, only hesitant to join him. At least she had broken her self-imposed exclusion, that might be a step in the right direction.
 
Marie took a seat an arm's length away, sitting cross-legged in silence. She didn't face him and gave him nothing his senses could grab hold of for clues to her frame of mind. The quiet wasn't bothersome but wouldn't advance anything.
 
"Found the transponder." She turned her head slightly to hear the news better. "One of the little kid's stuffed animals needed surgery." She nodded, showing no signs of concern or relief.
 
Thinking back she knew what he was talking about. She remembered the blue scientist showing up, she'd kept her distance but she was interested in what was happening as he met with Wolverine and a child away from the general camp. The child had clung to Wolverine's leg as the blue scientist used a scalpel on a ragged, old teddy bear. 

Wolverine had held her attention the most, the way he talked calmly to the child, ruffling the child's hair. The blue scientist had the child help with stitches and Wolverine pronounced it a job well done. She tried to reconcile this to the Wolverine that had fought their way out of the lab, that led a large contingent of mutants.
 
Logan tried small talk; something he'd never cared to do but was willing now if it kept her near. Finally, he let the quiet take over again. She didn't seem inclined to go, so he relaxed and watched the fading light of the setting sun.
 
She didn't know what to talk about or even how to respond to him. Her mind was muddled on exactly how people interacted; she often drew a blank on mundane daily items sometimes. It was easier to leave the communication up to others.
 
Being deficient in this area, she had spent several days observing others for clues. The real communication she needed to know about usually happened at night, this would give her the most insight on how to further her interactions with Wolverine. Others tended to ignore her and with close living quarters, it wasn't hard to find out what others did for pleasure.
 
"The other night," Logan started but didn't get a chance to finish.
 
Wolverine was thinking about it too and it was all the opening she needed. Turning, she lunged at him where he lay in the grass, only his fast reflexes kept her from crashing into a heap on his chest. She pressed further and their lips met.
 
It wasn't nice like the one he'd given her, but he didn't push her away, so she took that as a good sign. She needed him. She knew there was more to a relationship, things she wasn't able to give him, but maybe he wouldn't mind. Maybe he was only looking to feel good too.
 
She tried to soften her lips and open her mouth, giving him the go-ahead for one of the nice kisses. He moved his hands to embrace her, not simply to hold her as he did when she'd been caught. She wanted to make her movements gentle like he did, but it all came out short and choppy.
 
"Marie," he protested as she unfastened his pants.
 
Pausing a moment, she looked around, scanning the area. She'd seen the night watchmen setting up at the perimeter of camp when she trailed him out. Wolverine was always on guard duty whether officially or not. She didn't think they sent anybody out this far.
 
"On watch?" she asked. Why else would he not want to have sex? She'd seen two people in the group do this and they had smiled like it was good.
 
"No," he said, rationalizing again as she pulled his hardening flesh free of his pants.
 
Her hands were unskilled, but she seemed eager to pleasure him. His cock was hard when she took it in her mouth, and he cursed his body for being ahead of his brain. He tried to relax as best he could so that she could explore as she pleased. Yet he couldn't, she was paying attention to every noise and move he made and repeated the actions that resulted in those sounds.
 
She knew she was clumsy at this but she wanted to do this for him. It had been a long time since she'd needed or wanted to think of anyone else's needs. This made her feel connected to him somehow, with the way he calmly placed a hand on her shoulder and smoothed her hair away from her face.
 
His body was tensing, his hips moving with her. She tried to concentrate on making her bumbling attempts seem effortless.
 
"Stop," he hissed out from between clenched teeth. The smell of her arousal, though minimal, was tickling his nose, and he didn't think he could hold out much longer.
 
She settled back on her haunches while his breathing returned to normal. Had she done it wrong? She didn't think the couple had stopped until the man was no longer hard.
 
He cupped her face with his hand, rubbing his thumb across her cheek. She'd always been pretty, even as a scared hitchhiker. Even now she was beautiful with the way she so desperately wanted to make a connection with him, to do something for him even with all the pain she was in, made her glow. And he would not to lie to himself, this was for him. Even though her smell hinted at an interest, he would receive the most pleasure from it.
 
"You're beautiful," he murmured.
 
Marie's eyes widened, and she quickly shimmed out of her bottoms, the smell of her thickening arousal hit him just as swiftly. He was trying to make his mind work out how to slow her down when she jerked his pants passed his hips and straddled him. She descended on him wet and hot.
 
He remembered where the painful patches were on her skin and avoided them as he placed his hands on her hips.  Her head was thrown back as she rode him and he wondered how they got so far so fast. That's when it dawned on him; he'd thought this was about her need to control something in her environment. That wasn't it and it wasn't strictly about the sex either.
 
Glancing down, Rogue noticed the smile on his face. She slowed then stopped and ran her fingers along his lips. "What?"
 
"Enjoying yourself?" he asked, cause he knew he enjoyed watching her.
 
Furrowing her brow, confused by his question. She thought that was the point of sex. Why would people have sex if they didn't like it?
 
He ground into her so he could hear the small moan she made. Carefully he pushed his hand up under her top and cupped her breast. He ran a thumb across her nipple, grinding into her again.
 
Her eyes slid closed, and she began moving, "Shouldn't I?"
 
Gently he rolled her nipple between his fingers. "You enjoy it all you want."
 
He groaned as she readjusted her legs and got more comfortable. It sounded odd; him giving her permission to appreciate this activity, but she needed to hear that, to know he was okay with what they were doing. She certainly wanted him to like it and not feel forced to do this for her.
 
Pushing up his shirt, she placed a hand over his heart. She wanted to gage his reaction. It wouldn't be very accurate as she suspected Logan was disciplined enough to not break a sweat when everyone else did. But then she didn't give him much feedback on that front.
 
She thought about watching him, but she couldn't concentrate. Not with the way he skimmed his hands over her rough skin, making it seem like none of those scars mattered. And not when he told her how beautiful she was.
 
Every muscle in her body tightened, she could feel the start of the wave and she chased after it. Let it crash over her, only aware that he was thrusting upward as her mind sputtered and stalled.
 
She came back down still rocking atop him. His body every bit as tense as hers had been, filling her with a warmth. She liked the set of his jaw the way for just a moment he lost control of his body. How he chose to do this with her.
 
He had that smile on his lips again and he pulled her down for a kiss. It was one of his soft ones that made her lightheaded. She didn't notice when he undid the zippers on her top until he was fondling her breasts.
 
Backing away slightly, she tried to return the smile, but it felt weird on her face and she stopped. She did like the way he was touching her; it felt almost as good as the sex. Thought she couldn't comprehend what he was doing it for, they'd both finished.
 
Moving to dismount, she was stopped by his hand on her hip. "Give me a second."
 
He sat up a little and took a nipple into his mouth, swirling his tongue around it. His hand stayed on her hip to keep her in place. Soon his cock was hard again, and she made a small sigh as he gave an experimental thrust.
 
Logan gazed up; she blinked several times before lifting the corner of her mouth in the beginnings of a smile. He started to flip them so she would be on the bottom, but she resisted the change of position. Instead, she guided his mouth back to her breast.
 
The second time felt even better than the first. He slowed her several times not letting her speed through. She tried to show him how much she liked it. He seemed to want to hear her and she let a few sounds escape her lips. If they continued to have sex, she might have to work on that.
 
After they finished the second time he helped her redress, then pulled her down to lie beside him. He'd tucked her into his side, careful of her injuries as ever. She knew she was a little stiff at first, but she didn't know how to do this, to relax.
 
There had probably been a time she relaxed though she couldn't remember it and she'd seen others do this at camp. Frankly, if she remembered nothing past the way she felt when she had sex with Logan, that was okay with her. She hoped, another strange concept to her, that he felt the same way.
 
Logan walked her back to camp after dark; he was sure that if she couldn't sneak back into camp unseen, she would stay out all night. Without the military being active against mutants anymore, it probably wouldn't hurt, seeing as how she was alone even in camp, but they were between operations.
 
"I'll be gone the next couple of days." He thought she might like to know. "If everything goes right, I'll be back during the next move."
 
Marie merely nodded; content to walk along beside him. He stopped, and she finally looked up at him. "You need anything you go to Havok." At her blank stare, he elaborated, "Second in command."
 
Acknowledging the information she stood there. It wasn't like she needed anything; she'd been given a blanket and food if she helped out. She hadn't had a need of anything else in a very long time.
 
Rogue studied the man before her. Was she developing something for him, a need?  Possibly, it seemed restricted to only Wolverine. It was probably the shared history, but she knew it was more than likely that they both knew the horror of the labs.
 
The lab was something she didn't want to talk about. He understood and never mentioned it even when his eyes roamed her body and it was obvious she'd been treated poorly. He was always considerate of her, not wanting to cause her more pain.
 
Glancing toward the sentry in the distance, she hesitated to move on, not that she cared what everyone thought. Hell, she didn't even know their names, but she didn't want to have to identify herself. Who was she supposed to tell them she was? A lab rat?  Or Rogue, the name she once picked for herself? How about Marie, that is what Wolverine called her? She wasn't sure if she was any of them.
 
She could always sleep out here. Looking back at Wolverine, he seemed to know who he was, and she thought she caught something soft in his eyes when he looked at her. That was a puzzle for another time as he pulled her in for a kiss.
 
When he finally let her go, Rogue was a little breathless, she hadn't felt that way with any of the kisses before. She watched him jog off and strike up a conversation with the guard. His behavior made no sense to her, but she took the opportunity to sneak passed the two men into camp for the night.