Rogue lay perfectly still. It did no good to fight, she'd learned that lesson early on.  The scientists were coming for her, all there was to do was wait. 
 
"Marie." Strong arms encircled her, keeping her safe.
 
She blinked, Wolverine saving her again. Sitting up, he let her go as she hugged her knees to her chest. Shaking her head, she tried to fill it with thoughts of Wolverine instead of scientists. She'd followed him over the bodies and down the blood-slicked hallways. At the time she'd been afraid it was a dream, that he'd disappear. Now though she preferred dreams of the carnage he unleashed to the nightmares of the lab. 
 
Logan sat up beside her rubbing soothing circles on her back. He'd known she was having troubles sleeping. Unlike when he'd had nightmares, she suffered silently. Something else only time could help her with. 
 
She knew she shouldn't have laid down when they didn't have sex. Instead, he'd tucked her into his side and quietly talked to her about the plans for the group and she'd fallen asleep there. Rogue never slept with him, not close to him, not since the first night. But she'd been tired, they'd walked nonstop for two days, even eating on the move. 
 
"Should go." She didn't want to keep him awake, his healing factor shouldn't have to compensate for her problems.
 
"Stay. Mine woke you once." He didn't need to remind her of how badly that had gone. He had no problem staying awake with her if it helped. 
 
The memory of being stabbed had faded with time, replaced by real trauma. He'd saved her then too, keeping her alive when she'd given up hope. 
 
"Ever go away?" She hadn't seen him wake in a rush like she remembered, not in the time she'd been free.
 
"No." He couldn't soften the blow on that one. The nightmares had subsided, but he knew that just when he believed them to be gone, his brain would throw one at him just to make sure he hadn't forgotten. "Not really."
 
She leaned into him a little; she didn't mean to but oddly, being close to Wolverine gave her a sense of comfort, something she hadn't had in a long time. At least she knew if the nightmares woke her in a cold sweat he would be there to make her feel safe. 
 
Logan knew better than to promise her anything anymore. The world was too unpredictable for that. Though he'd promised her once he'd take care of her when the world was more stable and he'd failed back then, he did promise himself that he would do what he could to help her now.  



 
Waking again later, Rogue snuggled back into his body. Wolverine was warm and cozy while her comforter was still strapped to her pack too far away. She liked the added warmth he provided as they only had the blanket he'd thrown over them after she'd fallen asleep.
 
She burrowed further back into him and was surprised by a rumbling sound emitting from his chest. Pausing a moment she thought it over. She'd heard him growl before, but this wasn't quite the same; this reverberated nicely through her body. She wondered if she could get him to repeat it. 
 
Logan did repeat it for her and even placed a hand on her hip pulling her ass tight into his groin, pushing his hardened flesh into her curves. He then snaked his hand under her shirt so he could roll a nipple between his fingers. She let out a small gasp and he leaned in, muttonchop scraping along her neck. 
 
"Is that what you wanted?" he whispered in her ear. 
 
She nodded, feeling the need beginning to build beyond the first pleasant sensations. His hands always elicited those feeling in her that she'd buried. All day long she would go around like a machine, but at night, under the ministrations of his hands, she felt alive.
 
Each time they'd been together, she'd zipped straight from the first touch to orgasm and tonight was no different. It left his head spinning; he needed to work on slowing her down once they made it to the group's final destination. Show her there was pleasure in taking it slow, in waiting for the payoff. 
 
As it was, she'd kicked off her pants and was working at the buckle of his belt. He'd thought earlier tonight with the subtle change in Marie's scent, it would be best to avoid this. However, he should've known once they started down this road it would happen. Her hand was already wrapped around his throbbing cock, pulling him on top of her.  
 
She'd been in control to this point and maybe he could slow them down a little and draw this out for her. He sank into her, taking his time until she fully engulfed him. Resting a moment, he leaned down for a kiss making it as slow and soft as his entrance into her, letting her trail her hands across his chest. 
 
Only when she grew impatient and began to wiggle beneath him did he start a slow pace. He knew when he wasn't kissing her; she was studying him. Her hands, traveled up and down his body examining the movement of every muscle. 
 
Her fingers tightened on his biceps, no longer searching his body. She'd begun to move with him, searching for something else and he stopped. She opened her eyes and huffed at him, then moved her hands to his butt to encourage him to continue. 
 
Rogue was beginning to understand that smirk that was gracing his face. She also knew he was trying to slow her down, but she couldn't help herself. Once he started touching her, she felt good and for a few minutes; he made her feel great. She just wanted to get to those blissful moments with him. 
 
He must have sensed her frustration because the smirk turned into a soft smile and an even softer kiss. This time his rhythm was meant to satisfy. When everything was over, she lay breathless under him, heart beating wildly. She didn't care to control it either; she wanted him to know how he affected her.  
 
Finally, she got to watch him finish. He thrust a few more times, teeth clenched, heart pounding just as rapidly as hers had. It was only after, that she realized he'd come, his cock pulsing hot and wet on her belly.  
 
When he'd gained control of his breathing, he reached for his pack and pulled out one of the hotel towels. He cleaned her up, and she put her pants back on and let him pull her back down to lay with him.
 
The last few days they'd been on the move, leaving the city behind. During the march, she'd thought about what to get Wolverine. Maybe this would do. He seemed to like to curl up with her, holding her while they slept. Intimacy wasn't something she was familiar with even before the labs, even now the concept of it was strange to her, but she would try for him. 
 


 
The next afternoon they made it to their intermediate destination outside the city. They were headed north, toward Westchester and the mansion. The war was over, there had been little fighting for months, but Washington had officially ended the enforcement of anti-mutant policies and new protection laws had been passed.
 
Their group was meeting up with another group as they headed back. It had been decided that they would return in a way that wouldn't draw too much attention like a jet flying all over retrieving 'soldiers'. They were only refugees trying to make their way to a friendly place.
 
Everyone was busy even if only picking up kindling or carrying firewood. One of the older women with blue eyes had found that Rogue was handy with a needle and set her up with a pile of things to mend after showing her how to pull thread from one of the hotel sheets someone had brought. Actually, Rogue liked the work, it was simple enough to keep her hands busy but allowed her to observe all that happened as the camp was set up.  It didn't hurt that she was on a slight rise overlooking most of the encampment where everyone would leave her alone. 
 
Just before supper, a stirring at the far side caught her attention. A man was escorted in to talk to Wolverine. She thought she should know the man; he was about her age and fire came to her mind, but she didn't know if it had anything to do with him. After a few minutes, Wolverine and the man left the way the man had come. 
 
As she was bringing the mending back to the blue-eyed woman (she had a name and Rogue tried to remember it) Wolverine and the other man came back trailed by a dozen or so young teenagers. Wolverine had a quick word with the second in command and the new group was fed. She was sure Wolverine was making other arrangements for them, like where they would sleep and who would keep an eye on them.
 
Wolverine finally joined her as she pulled threads from the sheet and wound them around a bare stick for use later. She didn't need to ask, he would tell her what if anything was important. Putting away her project, she moved over to sit beside him as he ate.
 
Rogue leaned her head on his shoulder and rubbed his thigh with her hand. She'd practiced making her movements smooth and gentle like his. She must have been somewhat successful because he smiled at her, even with his mouth full. When he put down his empty plate, she widened her pattern to include his inner thigh and closer to his groin. 
 
Logan put an arm around her shoulders and kissed the top of her head. "Not tonight, Darlin'. Got recon to do." He had to grin when Marie didn't stop rubbing, probably just practicing now.
 
"Don't trust?" she asked.
 
"Pyro?" He never figured that particular kid as stupid, but Logan preferred to verify his story. "Has to earn it."
 
She nodded. Wolverine trusted few people completely, and those he did had worked hard for that trust. She was unsure what made him place his trust in her. She spared a glance over to the new arrivals. "Kids?"
 
"Ain't seen them before, but he wanted them to stay even if he couldn't."  Logan stood and stretched. The group had arrived with only the clothes they had on and an eye on their back trail. He wanted to make sure there wasn't a certain egomaniac hanging about.
 
Rogue stood up next to him. He looked at her, affection for her clearly written on his face. He played with the white strand in her dark hair a moment before pulling her in for a kiss. It was all too brief, but she knew a longer kiss would lead to sex and he had responsibilities. She settled for her awkward smile as he disappeared.  


 
Sometime in the middle of the night, Rogue had felt Wolverine lay down and she moved over to share her comforter with him. Now she was trying to figure out how to scoot out from under his arm without waking him. It was early morning and she couldn't sleep; she could at least get the coffee started for everyone. Then she realized he wasn't asleep, not really.
 
"Gotta pee," she told him. He harrumphed but lifted his arm.
 
When she had her boots pulled on he rolled over and he mumbled sleepily about coffee. She didn't answer; he knew she'd bring it. Probably would even bring something to eat if he was patient. 
 
The blue-eyed woman from yesterday was at the big cook fire, coffee already percolating.  One of the men was there too, cutting meat from a deer carcass hung in a tree. The blue-eyed woman was frying the meat on a large sheet of roofing tin that had been cleaned up. Rogue quietly poured coffee and held out a plate for some meat when the blue-eyed woman beckoned her. 
 
"Send some of that backstrap up to Wolverine, he brought the deer in," the carving man said. 
 
The woman moved around the tin and forked up a large piece of meat onto Rogue's plate. "Come back later, honey, and you can help me smoke what’s left."
 
Rogue simply nodded before leaving. She’d thought about trying out her smile but the woman had been nice and she didn't want to scare her. More importantly, she was already puzzling over Wolverine again. He'd done his scouting and then, still thinking of his group, he'd hunted for them. She knew in the city and its outskirts, he'd taught the kids to set rabbit snares. 
 
Rabbit wasn't a lot for a group of two dozen or more, but it was always a welcome addition and made the kids feel important.  So much so that the kids had set snares almost immediately upon their arrival in the area. They'd even begged Wolverine to show them how to catch the fish they'd seen in the stream. 
 
Wolverine put a lot of time into making sure his group was well run. The fire man would have to work hard to gain his trust. All of that led to the question once again, why did Wolverine trust her?