Author's Chapter Notes:
So I've been working on a novel for almost a year now and it's very nearly ready. Truth is, I'm scared that it's not going to be good enough. I form an idea and scribble it all down into notebooks until get a really clear story in my head but I have trouble conveying things in they way I'd like. I always feel like it's not my best work and I don't want to share it unless it's perfect.

Oh! This is Live Schreiber's Victor because that is the only thing wrong with X1. (Don't own, don't sue.)
Marie was shaking so hard her teeth clanked together painful as the wind whipped around her bare legs. The flannel shirt she was dressed in wasn't exactly appropriate attire for evening although the man standing beside her made her feel even colder.

"Don't you worry doll, I ain't going ta hurt you." He stroked her check lightly with one of his long claw like nails. It was yellow and dirty. He made Marie feel sick.

"We've gotta wait here till Magneto comes to get us. He's got big plans for you, See." The man bent down to whisper in her ear but instead of words, he licked her ear and chuckled. "I was hoping to have some fun with you while we wait."

Marie felt a warm heat trickle down her legs and the man laughed. "Don't be scared baby" Victor wasn't really going to hurt her; he just liked to play with his food.

"VICTOR!"

"Well well, Jimmy? Long time, no see." Victor turned to see Logan charging towards him, claws extended.

"I swear, I'm going to kill you if you've done anything to her." Victor blocked his brother by slamming his shoulder into his body. Logan's claws slashed Victor's shirt, cutting the skin underneath deeply. The cuts healed in seconds.

"Nice to see you too." Consumed with rage, Logan launched himself forward. They fought until they lay in an exhausted heap, both breathing heavily. Logan rolled over onto his back, chest heaving up and down.

"Why are you taking orders from him?" Logan panted.

"He understands us Jimmy, our needs." Victor rolled onto his side and sat back on his haunches.

"I understand you Victor, you're my brother." Logan pushed himself off the ground, talking up a defensive stance. Victor hung his head slightly, his arms swinging limply by his side.

"Why did you leave me then? I thought you said you'd always have my back?"

"I had to get her somewhere safe. Look at her, she can't look after herself."

Victor looked into his brothers eyes and saw the sharp bolt of pain in them. He knew that look, he'd seen it only once before. Logan had found his mate.

Victor sighed and stepped aside, allowing Logan to approach and untie the girl.



The jet arrived minutes later, landing next to the lake, the exhausts making huge ripples in the black water. Logan stood with the girls body wrapped in his arms. She was so cold her lips had turned blue. She looked up at him, her lashes fluttering each time she blinked.

Victor placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, he said he was going to try and live a better life with Logan now. Stop killing and join the Xmen so he would have an outlet for his need for violence. He could train younger team members in the danger room.

Members of the X team came down the ramp to great them, relief showing on each one of their faces. The professor descended the ramp last, looking stricken, much older than his years. Hank held out his arms for Marie but Logan ignored him and started to carry the girl inside.

"Logan!" He stopped dead in his tracks then turned his head. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Scott approaching, flanked by other members of the brotherhood. He could smell Magneto.

"You think you could take what's mine? You think you could get away so easily?"

"Scott, just let it go. Our marriage was doomed from the start." Jean shouted.

"Shut up you bitch, I'll deal with you after."

Jean levitated a rock with her powers and flung it at him. It hit him square in the temple and she let out a contented snort. Scott yelled more in anger than pain; he let up his visor and took a shot a Jean. It missed her, scorching the grass by her feet.

"That's enough Cyclops." The calm voice of Magneto came from the shadows behind Scott. He came into the light, two steel balls rotating inches above his palm.

"Hand over the girl and we'll leave quietly."

"No Eric, we'll not let you use her mutation for your advantage." The Professor spoke with great authority, a man you would not disobey. Victor's hand twitched beside Logan, catching Magnetos eye.

"Sabretooth, have you formed alliances with the enemy?" Victor cast his eyes downward, a submissive move. "Have they tamed you like a pussy cat?" Victor let a growl rip in his throat; he wouldn't take that from anyone.

"There isn't an enemy Eric, we are all on the same side."

"If you're protecting the humans, then you are against us. We need the girl so we can carry out our grand plan. I can see we'll have to take her from you by force." Magneto raised his hand the steel balls flew through the air. They darted in and out of the jet's body at intervals then it crumpled in on it's self, like a giant invisible hand had scrunched it up.

Eric opened his mouth and uttered two words to his team. "Get her." chaos broke out, the Brotherhood attacking the Xmen.

Logan hugged the girl tight and ran in the woods. She was staring at him, wide starry eyes unblinking in fright. The clearing was almost out of sight when Logan's whole body froze. He couldn't move an inch. Marie whined low, panic rising in her when she realized she was trapped tight in his arms.

"Logan?" she whimpered.

"Don't worry my dear; you won't be needing your protector anymore."

Eric approached leisurely. It became clear to Marie that he was the one hurting her Logan. Eric flexed his hand and Logan's body stretched out rigidly, his face contorting in pain. He unintentionally dropped Marie to the floor. Eric turned Logan around in the air and addressed him.

"In case you were wondering, it was Mystique who tricked you. She phased into Jean just walked in that school and let Sabretooth in. It's a shame you didn't have better security, she said it was almost too easy."

"I'm … going ta.. kill you!" Logan managed to choke out. Every adamantium bone in his body was being stretched out too far. He could hardly bear the pain; it was all he could focus on. At the back of his mind, he was vaguely aware that Marie has vanished.

"How can you kill me when I'm in control of your body, Logan? I'm the puppeteer." He had such a cruel expression on his face, like he was enjoying the torture he was inflicting upon Logan.

"Let me.. Let me ddown.. and I'll ss-show you." Every blood vessel in his body was standing out with the stain of trying to fight. His eyes bulged out of their sockets. He tried to take his mind off the pain; he wanted his last thoughts to be of Marie.

Eric's face slowly fell. The eerie smile he'd worn dropped from his lips into a grimace. A strange gasping noise issued from his throat, like he was pulling air though a straw. Logan fell to the leaf strewn ground, barely having enough energy to lift his head.

Marie had rolled over to Eric, though the mud and leaves, to grab hold of his ankle. There was a small gap between his pant leg and shoe which she had taken advantage of. Her face was screwed up in concentration as her powers drained the life force out of the man. His skin blackened and he let out a final cry before crumpling to the floor. He lay still.

Marie rolled over onto her back, silent tears of anguish running in streaks down the sides of her cheeks. She had promised herself she would never use her powers to kill another soul, not after the lab, but this was necessary. She needed to save Logan.

Logan! She crawled over to where he lay. He was breathing shallowly but enough. She knew he needed a few minutes to recover before he could move again and decided it was best not to touch him until then, just in case.



Logan moved back though the clearing, Marie at his side. It started to snow lightly as they reached the edge of the trees. Bodies littered the floor like a child discarded toys.

Logan closed his eyes, using his enhanced senses to see if anyone was still alive. He saw the Victor's body, a large black puddle of blood where his head should have been. He closed his eyes and cursed. His oldest friend, his sworn enemy but ultimately his complicated and sorely misunderstood brother. He'd died protecting the girl, just like the team had. Logan wouldn't forget his sacrifice.

He heard a moan from across the way and limped over, half blind with tears. It was Jean. She had a large piece of shrapnel embedded in her belly, blood so dark it was almost invisible against the black leather of her uniform.

"Ll..logan? Is that you?"

"Yeah." His voice was passive while trying to maintain control. She was dying.

"Is Marie safe?" she struggled to get each word out, growing weaker with every breath.

"Yeah" Logan placed a trembling hand on her cold cheek. He hadn't wanted anyone to die.

"She loves you Logan; I saw her memories, her thoughts and what she feels for you, its love."

Logan didn't know how to respond, his mind wasn't working well enough to respond. His primal instincts had taken over and they were all screaming 'survive.' Her eyes, already filled with tears were losing their sparkle.

"Logan, it hurts." She silently pleaded with him, asking him to do something for her. One last thing. Logan shook his head, he couldn't. "Please?" she whispered, closing her eyes, tears streaming down the sides of her face.

Logan bent his head low to hers, pressing his lips her cold forehead. This was the worst thing he'll ever have to do. He placed his knuckles against her temple and released his claws.

Chapter End Notes:
This is not normally what I write but I thought this scene was necessary to get to the ending I wanted.

If anyone has a minute, I'd love a review of my writing style, use of words etc to help me get better.