Inside the lab, the two ferals split down separate corridors, Logan trying to keep away from the doctors. Even the smell of them put him on edge. Not that he'd ever been treated by a doctor; his healing power was far superior to any medical treatment available. The passageways were sterile; air purifiers hummed, strapped to the ceiling on every turn. The tiled walls and floor were cold, shiny. Disinfectant seemed to burn the hairs from his nostrils.

Logan turned a corner and was greeted by a door marked "Subject Quarters." Two swipes of his claws left it handing by the hinges. Scared little faces popped out from behind the scant furniture, from under the metal framed beds and any corner that was deemed a good vantage point. He counted eleven kids. No one seemed older than twelve.

"I'm busting you out! Keep quiet and follow me." He managed to get the group to Victor, who was waiting at the back door before the alarm went off. The noise pierced the silence in a high pitched, repetitive wail.

"Go.. GO! To the plane over there." He pointed to a waiting carrier in the distance. "Are there any more?"

"Yes!" cried a boy with what looked like porcupine spikes all over his blue form. "There is a girl, a dangerous girl. She's kept in a different room to us."

"Where is she kid?"

Once he had a general location, he watched Victor lead the kids quickly across the ice before turning and tearing back though the lab. A mixture of clinical smells permeated the air, purely chemical, disrupting and overwhelming his senses. It was very strange that the alarm was resonating at an almost explosive volume yet no one had come to see what the commotion was. Logan hadn't come across a single guard.

He closed his eyes and tried to focus on his feral side. The side which would help him hunt for his prey. He listened for a heartbeat, the thumping of a quickened pulse though veins. He could just make out the dull scent of a female. It was directly below him.

A door to his left, no handle, it only opened with a swipe of a key card. Logan had no time or patience for this. He sliced though the cold metal as if it were made of spider webs, sparks erupting from the frame as he kicked his way inside.

A rickety metal staircase led down in a basement. The room was lit faintly in red light coming from a single naked bulb hanging in the middle of the ceiling. The ringing alarm was deadened down here, like he'd crawled into a hole in the earth. It smelt like something had died. Logan hoped to God that it hadn't.

In the corner, tied to a bare bed frame was a huddled body, covered in a filthy hospital gown which swamped the tiny figure. Arms and legs poked out at out angles like broken twigs that had been thrown in a pile. Logan looked away, disgusted. How could anybody treat a human being like this, mutant or not? She was dead.

He turned around to leave, anger welling up inside him when he heard it. Thud-thud. No.. she was alive.

It was faint, but it was there. A heartbeat.

His surroundings all but disappeared. Logan pushed the tangled heap of hair aside to reveal her face; sweet, delicate features. Pale as the moon. Her body looked painfully fragile. Logan thought if he'd move her she would break. He touched her cold cheek with the very ends of his finger tips, stroked gently down from temple to chin. His skin seemed to tingle faintly upon contact, as if an electric current ran though him.

The girl's lips parted ever so slightly. Logan held his breath. Her eyes opened, just a slither but that was enough for him to see their rich chocolatey color. Logan was taken into the dark depths, feeling her emotions as if they were his own. There was a heartbreaking sense of awareness, she knew what was happing. He knew those eyes of hers would haunt him now. He had to get her out of there.

"There he is! There is the intruder!" a far off voice hurtled him back to earth with a crash. He heard the metallic clicks from behind him, a sound he recognised all too easily. Machine guns being loaded.

Growling, Logan turned around bearing teeth and claws. The guards barely had time to raise their weapons before he started slicing. Pure rage flowed though him. Bone and metal, he carved though them like a hot knife though butter. All he could think was not her, not that little girl.

When he was done, Logan's body was slick with their blood, his chest heaved up and down from fury more than the effort of fighting. He checked the girls pulse again, hearing her faint rasping breath, knowing he had to take her with him. She may have been close to death but Logan couldn't let her die in this cold, dark basement alone.

"Okay sweetheart, here we go." He whispered, slipping one large hand underneath her bird-like rib cage and the other under frail, bony knees. Lifting her was like lifting a blanket, light as air.

Logan had been hit with a few bullets but he barely noticed them as he limped towards the bright square of light at the top of the stairs. His sole focus was to get her out. He would make sure she was safe.
Chapter End Notes:
Will you review me? Pretty please with a Logan on top!