Author's Chapter Notes:
I've just realised using asterisks as section breaks don't show up in reader format -_- from now on I'll use dots.
Weak daylight streamed in though a gap in the curtains, although they didn't put up much of a fight in the first place. The girl was sleeping deeply, lips gently parted in a peaceful expression. Logan would have thought she was not breathing if it wasn't for his enhanced senses. In fact something else was different too.. she smelt a lot more human today. Weird seeing as those sort of chemicals usually would stay in the body for weeks.

Logan snuck outside so as not to disturb the kid and dialled one of the two numbers in the contact list in his cell phone. The professor picked up on the third ring.

"Professor Charles Xabier, headmaster of School for Gifted Youngsters.."

"Chuck.. it's me."

"Logan? How nice to hear from you after all this time." Logan detected a hint of mock tone and his mood darkened.

"We can exchange pleasantries later.. I've got a kid here, she's in bad shape. A mutant I found at a lab in Alberta.." he thought it was better to say she was a mutant straight off the bat in light of recent events, the Professor was much less likely to turn them away once they were at the school.

"That's certainly something I can help with Logan, what is your location, I can send Jean and Storm to pick you up."

"No, I'll come to you. I don't want to upset the kid."

"Very well, we'll be expecting you." A sharp click and he was gone. The bastard hung up! Logan peered at the kid though the window, sleeping deathly still.. no he wanted to correct himself instantly.. sleeping soundly.

He decided to run to the store and pick up a few things for the kid; lots of liquids he could push to her dry lips in an attempt to get her to swallow it. She'd need clothes too, as many people would find it concerning to see a man such as Logan carrying around a half naked kid and some basics like baby shampoo so he could bathe her properly.

When he got back, her fever had burnt some colour into her cheeks and a sheen of sweat glimmered on her forehead. That was a good sign, it meant she had some liquid in her to spare. Her eyes were half-crescented open but she didn't seem to notice his presence as he placed the bags down by the bed.

"Hey baby." He murmured in a low voice. Jesus Christ, her fever must be running in the high hundreds. Her little hands and feet were as cold as ice blocks and she was breathing rapidly.

Cursing, he crushed some Advil into a bottle of water, the kind you would use to feed a baby. Soft plastic nozzle. Measurements in ounces on the outside so he could keep track of her water intake.

Logan propped her up slightly, brought the nozzle to her cracked lips and squeezed so a droplet of water fell between them. The girl recognised the primal call of water and parted her lips to allow access.

"Atta girl." In any other situation, this suckling would have been pathetic but this bottle was a gateway between life and death. She needed this bottle like she needed Logan. Her life depended on it.



Another day, another hotel room. At least this one was a small improvement, relatively new carpet and cable. Logan tried to coax the girl into drinking various liquids, milk and honey being his preferred drink of choice. If it's good enough to rear a baby cow then it must be helpful for growing a healthy child. The honey was just for added nutrients, he hoped she liked the taste.

He bathed her in warm water mixed with baby shampoo and a soft washcloth. She stared at the ceiling unblinking as he slowly draws the rag over her. What is she thinking? He was sure she has the capacity to think. Her orb-like eyes are less hazy today, focusing on things, mainly him when he drew close enough.

"Okay sweetheart." He tilted her chin so he could rinse though her hair, shoulder length, dark chestnut brown. Looking at her in this way he could almost see the gangly, awkward pre-teen she once was. Shy and sweet, maybe bookish?

Once again he placed her in the bed in his softest plaid button down, stroking her dry hair back off her face. She stared into his eyes for the first time and Logan felt a pull to her, as if magnetized. He brought his lips to her forehead in a gentle way, the way a father would kiss his daughter. Logan felt the familiar tingle on his lips, a faint electrical buzz. When he pulled way a few seconds later, she was sound asleep.



The girl seemed to have made a big improvement overnight. Her eyes were brighter, clearer. She could sit, propped up next to Logan in the bed for long periods of time. She started to copy some of his actions minutely, chewing on nothing when he ate. Mouthing words she recognised and responded to. The kid now seemed to understand things like toilet, bath and drink. Logan was astounded at how much she seemed to change in one night. It made him decide to try something new.

"Come on kid, we're going to try stand up." She didn't turn to him but continued staring into space, blinking every now and then. He pulled back the sheet and pulled her knobbly knees to the edge of the bed. He grasped the tops of her arms and pulled her up into a sitting position. The girl was facing him, her eyes now trained on his, perfectly coherent.

"Ready?" he asks. She blinks once, slowly. Trusting. Logan sensed her calm.

"Good girl." He draws her up in one smooth motion. She stands shakily before him, eye wide and breathing deeply. He knew she trusted him but she was scared. It must have been months since she had stood by herself. The girls' body trembled with the effort of holding herself up and she let out a low whine, like an injured puppy.

"Come on sweetheart." He took a step back, then another, hoping she would follow. She stared at the floor, at her sock covered feet. One more step back and the shuffled towards him. He was holding most of her weight but she did well, to the bathroom and back. She seemed to gain more confidence every few feet she shuffled.



The kid could stand by herself now but Logan didn't want to risk dragging her into Wal-Mart with him. Carrying what looked to be an abused child with him into a superstore would bring too much attention.

Browsing through the kids sale rack a blond sales lady caught his eye. She smiled shyly at Logan, looking away when he shot her a half smile back. She was dressed in tight jeans and a polo neck unbuttoned all the way to make room for her pillowly chest. Way too much boob to be deemed work appropriate but Logan wasn't complaining.

In normal circumstances, he would have had her out the back already, his face buried in those perfect breasts with her moaning his name as he fucked her wildly against a wall. Although in normal circumstances he wouldn't be in Wal-Mart's kids clothing section.

"Hello Sir, can I help you with anything?" her teeth sparkled as she gave me a dazzling smile. She wore a name tag that said "Karen."

"Please, I'm looking for some clothes for my kid."

"Sure." She smiled again. "Boys or girls clothes?"

"Girls."

"How old is the little sweetie." Her voice rung almost musically against his ears, in her southern thick accent.

"Errr.."

"You don't know how old your daughter is?" her smile faltered a little.

"She's about 12, see her mom normally has full custody and I'm .. away on business a lot.." she didn't seem to buy his story but went along with it. There was no way he was getting laid now.

"Ah, all righty.. how about this?" she pulled out a long sleeved pink t-shirt with a multi-colored unicorn on the front. Logan cringed.

"You got anything more plain? Tell you what just pick out a whole weeks worth of outfits, pjs and a jacket and I'll take them."



He talked to the kid constantly, telling her what he was doing, running a commentary on whatever sports game was on, in the hope she would pick some speech up. The only time she made a sound was when she was asleep. Her nightmares always started the same. About 1am her breathing became deeper and quickened. She got so worked up that she cried out, high girlish squeaks, timid as a mouse.

Logan could normally calm the girl by putting her head on his chest, her tiny seashell of an ear pushed up against his heart. The steady beating put her at ease; brought the kid back into reality and away from whatever horrors were torturing her. Logan understood, he had nightmares as well. Ones he'd wake up from sweaty and screaming. They seemed to have subsided in recent weeks. Within minutes, the gentle rhythm of Logan's heart had her sleeping peacefully. She felt safe there, no one could hurt her.

The nightmare she had that night was a bad one. She thrashed about in the blankets, tears leaking from under her closed eyelids. The girl was whimpering and moving her lips like she was trying to speak. Logan tried to soothe her as he normally did. He rolled over and put his hand on her bare shoulder.

The direct contact with her skin shot pain though Logan's body like a lightning bolt. They both were screaming until he let go, passed out on the bed next to her. The last thing he remembered hearing was the girl crying out his name.



Logan awoke to the kid huddled in the corner of the room crying and whimpering. He had a thick, foggy head ache that felt like what he imagined a hangover to be like. He rubbed his eyes and tried to shake the grogginess out of his head. What happened?

"Come here Darlin'.." He wondered if he had upset the girl before he blacked out. She didn't move off the floor, her trembling form breaking Logan's heart. He hoped she wasn't scared of him for any reason. As he moved close to her, she jumped and moved closer to the wall, afraid of his touch.

"It's okay baby, I'm okay.." he stoked her hair down and away from her face. "Calm down, everything is okay." She wiped her wet nose with the back of her arm and turned to face him. Logan pulled her into his arms while she wept, rocking her slightly back and forth. He rubbed her back in slow circles.

Something was different; her skin was smoother than before. He moved his hand down to the scarred numbers on her back. They were less raised now, almost flat and more flesh colored. How was this possible? The kid was healing like him. He'd have to ask Chuck when the got to the School.
Chapter End Notes:
Can anyone tell me what their favourite format of story to read is? Like, I normally prefer to read about ten chapters of moderate length. (Rogan, ofc) It needs to be long enough for things to happen but no soooo long it turns into a saga.

Oh… and if you review it will make me really happy :D