“Come here often?”

Logan snorted. “No, first time. You?”

The beam of light shook as Marie laughed beside him. This was one of those things he loved about her. Here they were stuffed into a small, cramped space trying to fix an electrical problem and she was cracking jokes. Lame jokes, but jokes all the same. 

“Hold the light still, Darlin’ or I’ll have to fire you.” Not that he ever wanted to get rid of her. On the contrary, he’d prefer to keep her with him the rest of his life, but she was making this particular repair job take longer and the dust they were stirring up was driving him crazy. 

“You’d just rehire me,” she said, suppressing a smile. She started giggling again, “I could get you one of those headlamps, then I could be of more help.” Rogue snuck her hand up the back of his thigh, trying to distract him. 

“Marie, let me finish. Then we can check sex off your list.” He really shouldn’t indulge her; that would only lead to escapades such as sex in a storeroom, which happened last week. However, he’d been tracking this electrical problem for longer than he’d like to admit. He’d already talked to Xavier about rewiring this wing of the school over the summer break. The wiring was almost as old as Logan himself. 

He sighed, and she backed off. After another few minutes, he could feel her becoming restless again. The scent of her arousal was starting to take over the smell of the dust. “Were you serious about sex? ‘Cause I need a shower after being up here and you have drinks with Cap tonight.”

He wound electrical tape around the wires. “Could always multi-task. Don’t want to keep Rogers waiting or I buy the beer,” he stated, picking up his tools, but she wasn’t waiting for him, already wiggling her way out of the crawl space.




Rogue was getting cramps in her hands from her grip on the shower bar as she came on his tongue. She didn’t let go until he was standing up holding onto her. He pushed her back flat against the wall, balancing her on the bar she’d held onto moments before.

Boneless; putty in his hands. How did he continue to do this to her? Six months they’d been together and the sex never stopped being amazing.

Damned if she didn’t love the feel of his body up against hers like this. Right now, he was working diligently at making her scream his name. The way he was grinding into her, she would scream if she had any breath left in her. 

Logan was being selfish, he could admit it. Oh sure, she was enjoying it too; but he needed to taste and touch her, packing as much of her into his life as he could. In fact, she was practically moved into his apartment, he’d even offered her space in the closet. She didn’t take him up on the offer, instead kept a laundry basket of neatly folded clothes in the corner. She insisted they not move too quickly. But for him, with his time almost up, it wasn’t fast enough. 

God, he wanted to get lost in her and never come up for a breath again. He’d set a slow, agonizing pace that was supposed to last but he could already feel the burning need to fill her. She started to convulse and let her head fall to one side; he took the bait, biting down on her neck as he came. 




Logan didn’t look up when Cap cleared his throat. There was no need to warn him, Logan had smelled Fury down the block five minutes ago when the door was opened. He took his next shot as Fury stopped at his elbow. 

“We need to have a word,” Fury said in his authoritative voice, the one that got his people moving double time. 

Ignoring him, Logan lined up the next shot. “Your gonna owe me a beer, Cap.”

“Looks that way,” Cap answered, eyeing the others in the bar. It never hurt to make sure Fury didn’t have a surprise up his sleeve.

“Do I need to remind you, the report is past due?” Fury had an edge of agitation in his voice from being ignored. 

“Take care of that sentinel factory yet?” Logan asked, finally acknowledging the man’s presence. Logan had received a top-secret file about a month ago. No name attached, but he suspected it was from Natasha, knowing Logan would be interested. 

Fury narrowed his eyes, “That’s none of your damn business, son.”

“Not your son, and it is my business. The business of every damn mutant on this planet.” Logan took the shot, sinking several balls. “And it ought to be your concern about what those fucking machines do when they become sentient.”

“What we’re talking about here is your insubordination,” Fury said, jabbing his finger on the edge of the pool table next to Logan.

Logan stood up, abandoning his shot. “I’m sure you got a nice cell for me all picked out in that brig of yours.” Not that he would spend much time there. Logan had a few items tucked away that would have Fury letting him go in short order. If he didn’t break out first. 

The other man raised then dropped his hand, obviously thinking better of jabbing that same finger in Logan’s chest. “If you think-”

Logan cut him off, “Don’t get your panties in a bunch.” He dismissed Fury by taking his shot. “You’ll get the report before the end of the month.”

“See to it,” Fury stated before turning to leave. 

Cap relaxed, he’d never particularly trusted Fury and would have no problem backing Logan in this situation. Though a public place, especially his favorite bar, wasn’t good. Thankfully Logan knew that, but Cap had to ask, “What about Rogue?”

For the first time that night Logan missed his shot. He turned the game over to Cap and thought about Marie. In the end, she would have to understand her safety was more important than them being together. It was paramount that no one turn a curious eye toward the school, that the sentinels never be unleashed to cause its destruction. 




Shuffling the papers around, Logan examined them a final time. He had to admit Summers was thorough. Two weeks ago he’d brought the sentinel factory to the attention of the X-Men in hopes that they saw the danger he did. Summers had immediately gone to work gathering intel, satellite photos, and drone footage. 

The objective was simple, to get inside and download information. While Hank and Summers were busy with that, Logan would take a look on the factory floor and see exactly how far the company was on production. Logan had already scouted the place weeks ago and knew by now they had a working model. However, he’d chosen to follow the X-Men’s lead on how to bring down the sentinel project. 

It wasn’t his style to walk away and leave a functioning sentinel. There were few avenues to make this problem public and for the moment Summers’ way would have to do. His time was up and this part was best left in the X-Men’s hands. It would take the spotlight off the school and his assessment report of it. 

He sighed and stuffed everything back in the folder. After the mission tonight, he would have to leave the school. It had been a good run, once he’d gotten them to drop the mister to his name. Damn those respectful kids anyway. He’d actually begun to feel at ease here and that had been his first mistake. No, that was his second mistake. 

Logan’s first mistake had been Marie. Somewhere in between working to get her into his bed and it actually happening, he’d fallen for her. It was no longer about sex, but being with her. Funny thing happened too, now when he thought of sex, Marie was the only woman that came to mind. 

She was his biggest regret. He should have never gotten involved with her in the first place. He’d known enough at three months to make a report and let the chips fall where they may. Yet he now knew she was the reason he didn’t move on. A good woman was a rare thing for him and he wanted to know what all the fuss was about. Now he knew, and she was worth the fuss, worth holding onto and making her his but he didn’t have that luxury. Instead, the best he could do was protect her, which meant protecting the school and the X-Men.

Rogue stirred in bed. Not the same kind of restlessness that she got before a mission but close. It felt like a big change was on its way; it was both exciting and frightening at the same time and Logan was at the center of it all. She felt stupid, even now for doubting him when he first came to the mansion. 

Lazily she patted the bed beside her, “You were supposed to come to bed to try to relax.” 

Playing with a lock of her hair, Logan mumbled, “Couldn’t.”

“Too wound up?” she asked. 

“Something like that.” Turmoil was a better word for what he was feeling. This facility needed to be eliminated, and it would be one way or another, but this also represented the end of his time with Marie. 

All week he’d tried unsuccessfully to keep himself separated from her. He reasoned that if he slowly weaned himself off her constant presence then maybe it wouldn’t be as hard when the time finally came. Throwing himself into planning with Summers had worked for a while as he’d also been doing extra work around the mansion, things that didn’t need to be done right away but would knock down the long-range list for whoever filled his position. However the busier he made himself the more determined she was to fill his spare time up with herself. 

She smiled up at him and he felt the guilt rise. He was simply leaving her behind, he’d have nothing more than an aching heart to mend. Marie, on the other hand, would have to deal with his departure and the constant reminders of them around her every day. He hoped she’d never find out about his lies; either way, trying to make up for it now would make no difference later. 

Rogue caught his hand and tugged him down beside her. Maybe it was the fact that this was the first mission he’d helped plan. Or that it was more stealth than action, she wasn’t sure but Logan had been trying to avoid her lately. Even now in bed, he was tense, and she knew him laying down was for her benefit, not his.

It made her smile. He never really talked about love but every touch, every look, spoke of it loud and clear. In trusting her heart to him, she had been rewarded with his in turn. All she wanted was for this to continue for the rest of her life. 

“Maybe I can help you relax,” she said, snaking her hand down his abdomen. 

“Ya’ think.” Logan was sure that it wouldn’t exactly be relaxing but it would take his mind off of the future. Didn’t matter because he’d proven to himself all week that he was powerless to resist her. The more he told himself he shouldn’t, the harder it was to stay away. 

“Mmm… I see we’re thinking along the same line,” she commented stroking his hardening member.

She smelled so damn good; he had to resist the urge to put her on her back and fuck her. Slow and complicated, his heart tangled up in the act, was what she wanted and he didn’t mind letting her do that. Her kiss was leaving him lightheaded; it was so obvious to him at this moment, there would be no woman to compare with Marie.

Pushing off his sweats, she quickly shimmied out of her sleep shirt and panties. He could only lay back as she mounted him, his cock being engulfed by her soft, wet heat. This position had never been a favorite, but he loved to watch her ride him, knowing she enjoyed this, being able to see her fall apart when they made love was one of his favorite things.

Not to say they never fucked, they did. Yet fucking was different with Marie. The need, the drive wasn’t simply for satisfaction, she’d changed that. She satisfied that hunger, subdued the urge by soothing that animalistic drive in him.

Rogue leaned over him as he took a nipple in his mouth. He never averted his eyes anymore. In fact, it was quite the opposite. His raw need for her was absolutely clear, and it made her self-conscious at times. The unwavering, intense gaze left her feeling cherished and would end in her coming way too quickly. Though that was a good thing too. He always gave her a knowing smile and worked to prolong her pleasure in other ways.

Just thinking of it now; with the way he was caressing her body and nuzzling her breasts, she could feel it building. Logan moved his hands to her hips as she began to lose her rhythm.

“Don’t stop,” he growled as he began thrusting up into her. 

She was trembling with the effort, riding out the wave and he wanted to do nothing more than to spend the rest of his life making her do this. The sparks were flying up his metal covered bones and he knew his time was up. When she moaned his name in that soft Southern lilt, he spilled himself into her. 

Rogue lay slumped over on his chest, sweaty and spent, too exhausted to move. It had been quick but intense. The intensity had become the norm, and she was still in awe each and every time. Those secrets she had been afraid of, no longer frightened her. Together they would find their way through. 

Untangling herself from Logan and the sheets, she finally cuddled into his side. “I don’t care anymore,” she said. He gave her a questioning grunt, and she continued, “The baggage from your life before, that you can’t tell me.” 

“Why’s that?” he asked, pulling her in tighter.

“That stuff isn’t who we are now,” she said seriously. “If it ever crops up, we’ll deal with it. Together.” She was confident that no matter what, they could handle it and if not the X-Men would be willing to help.

Logan felt the guilt well up again. Not so much for his SHIELD secret but for having to leave her. If he could take her with him, he would but that would cast doubt on his report. There must be no suspicion on the authenticity of the report. 

The only thing he could do was reassure her of the one true fact in his life. “I love you, Marie.”

Kissing his chest, she replied. “Love you, too.” She knew he would get there in his own sweet time. 

He didn’t want to make it weird, yet he needed her to understand. “No matter how this shakes out, you’re the best thing that has ever happened to me.” The admission wasn’t quite what he wanted, but it was the best he could do at the moment. “Don’t believe anyone that tells you I don’t love you.”

His words brought a bit of an ominous feeling to her gut and she wondered if Scott and accused him of something. Putting that aside, hoping it was just nerves about his confession, she chose to focus on the most important piece of information. Logan loved her and that was all she needed to know.

After she’d drifted off to sleep, he glanced at the clock. A few minutes more and he’d need to head down to the sub-levels. Never in his life had he felt so ill at ease. It was best to take this one step at a time and see the plan through to the end.