Rogue sagged against the back rail of the elevator. She was all in and couldn’t wait to get to bed, changing might even be optional. Right now she wished she had a small reserve of Nightcrawler’s powers to poof herself up to her room. 

A groan almost escaped her when a hand darted between the doors as they were almost closed. Not that she would begrudge anyone a ride upstairs but the last thing she wanted to do was wait as the doors cycled through their closing sequence again. When she realized it was Logan joining her, she was able to muster a small smile and a sigh at how wide awake and refreshed he appeared. 

“Marie,” he nodded, entering to stand next to her.

“Logan,” she answered with a yawn. 

He endlessly fascinated her. The man’s memory was as sharp as a tack despite a missing past. His senses only seemed to enhance it. But the thing that really got her was that he remembered all of her preferences. It wasn’t obvious to most but small things like passing her the salt at supper for certain meals before she even asked or when he made sure the air flow in the jet was to her liking when he piloted. More importantly, not only did he remember her name but only used it in private. 

“Want to get a drink,” he asked. The question was odd for the time of night bet he found himself wanting to interact with her more and more as time passed and the time of day didn’t matter. 

When he got back this last time, they’d picked up their friendship right where they’d left off. That, in turn, lead to her becoming his assistant in combat training classes, mostly because she was the only one that could deal with him full time and not ask to be reassigned. She could also couch his gruffiness in such a way that none of his students dissolved into tears. That alone kept Xavier off his back and was worth Marie’s weight in gold and then some. It seemed only fair he return the favor and show her kindness he didn’t bother to show others. 

“It’s almost 2 AM, and I just got back from a mission.” She yawned again and added, “Seeing you all… all energetic makes me grumpy.” 

“Yeah, I should probably try out my bed again.” He’d originally gone down for a Danger Room session when he couldn’t sleep and that had turned into a couple more sessions, before he knew it most of the night had flown by. 

“That sounds so good right now,” slipped out before Rogue could put a clamp on her mouth. He cleared his throat and her eyes slid away in embarrassment. “Sleeping in my bed. Besides, I have to assist in class tomorrow.” This time she did let the groan out. “Later this morning, that gives me less than 5 hours.”

His mind got stuck on the thought of sharing his bed with Marie and he was certain that would beat a Danger Room session. The silence began to stretch out, it was best to take her lead and steer the conversation in her chosen direction. "Wouldn't want to be late. Hear the instructor is a stickler about time."

“Huh, I heard he was a big softy,” she replied with a teasing grin. Logan rarely showed it but he did possess a soft spot for her. She knew it and tried not to exploit it too often. The only time she did was to get him to spend more time with her and so far he’d gladly given up a free evening or two to be with her. She wasn’t about to waste that power on something as piddly as being late to class. 

He liked the fact that even as tired as she was Marie always had the energy to spar with him. Glancing over, he also had to admit no matter how drained she might feel, she was as beautiful as ever. Sometime in the last few months, his obvious affliction with redheads had ceased. It had been replaced with an interest in a brunette with a white streak in her hair. Thankfully, she was oblivious to his attraction, he’d hate to become overly transparent. “Probably have him wrapped around your pinkie.” She gave a laugh missing his serious tone completely.

The doors opened, and they exited together. Rogue was positive she was beginning to look forward to these elevator rides. They never lasted long, but it was one of the few times she had him all to herself. Or maybe that was the sleep deprivation talking. 

He stopped at her door, opening it for her. “You know you can always borrow a little healing,” he told her, holding out his hand for her.

Taking his hand in both of hers, she smiled brightly for how tired she was. “That’s sweet, Logan.” One of her hands moved to his muttonchop and rested there for a second as their eyes held. She could see the depth of emotion in his eyes and her heart fluttered to life. 

She wanted to say something about her feelings for him, knowing she might not get the chance or have the courage later. Yet as tired as she was she didn’t trust herself with a coherent statement. The moment passed and she went with a simple fact. “Sugar, doing that would leave me lit for days. Thanks though.” Her hand fell to his chest where she tapped her fingers lightly. “Maybe we can get that drink some other time.”

“Anytime, Darlin’,” he answered, squeezing her hand that was still in his.