Author's Chapter Notes:
The Wolverine/Rogue bits from all three novelizations of x1, x2, and x3 movies are on LJ. https://cschoolgirl.livejournal.com
The visit had been too long and in the end, Rogue had made an excuse and left a few days short of the two weeks planned. There was that saying, ‘you can’t go home again’. It was true. Her home with her parents wasn’t any different, everything was exactly as she remembered it. However, she’d changed, and that was a problem. 

Her bedroom hadn’t been touched, all her pictures of friends were still tacked up on the corkboard. She saw most of them around town later with her mom; they were as she remembered them. The breakfast table in the kitchen wobbled like always, and even now she wasn’t allowed to put her feet on the couch. 

Everything was as it had been, so comfortable she could have fallen right back into her old life like she’d never left. And that put her on edge, made her feel like she was waiting for the proverbial other shoe. The shoe did eventually come a few days before she left and it wasn’t entirely unexpected. 

Right now she simply wanted to be back at the mansion where she could answer those condolence calls and work magic with everyone’s schedules. In the evenings she would sit on Logan’s couch and pretend to be interested in hockey. He would let her put her feet on the couch because he wanted her to be comfortable. 

The taxi pulled up in front of the mansion and Rogue gave the driver a sizable tip, partly for the late hour and partly because he’d been good at not talking and leaving her to her own thoughts. There were a few scattered lights on even though it was passed curfew. One of those lights was the main office and that was her first stop.

“Oh, thank the goddess!” Storm said, stepping over to greet Rogue in a careful hug. Jubilee waved at her from behind the desk. 

“It’s good to be missed,” Rogue said, curious at the late evening work and Storm’s obvious relief. “What’s up?”

“That man…” Storm paused. 

Rogue felt the electricity in the air and knew at once she was referring to Logan. “Danger Room session?”

“If you can call it that,” Jubilee snickered from her spot at the desk. Storm shot her a look that made Jubilee throw her hands up in surrender. 

Logan at times didn’t take the simulated practices as seriously as Storm would like. Or there was the alternative, when he took them all too seriously. Storm hadn’t found the right way in which to use Logan’s skills on the team yet. They would get there, but until then Rogue usually ran interference. 

“I’ll talk to him,” Rogue said with a smile. In fact, she thought later in the week she might approach the two of them about splitting the team or forming a new one. With the animosity after Alcatraz, even with a friendly President and like-minded Secretary of Mutant Affairs, another team might not be a bad idea. Actually, Hank and Logan got along well, it might be time to put that friendship to the test. 

Storm sighed, “Rogue, I’m glad you’re back and not just because you can handle Logan.” Waving her hand at the desk, she added, “The rest can wait until you're ready.” She patted Rogue’s shoulder before bidding the two women goodnight. 

They followed her out of the office, Jubilee lingering until Storm was gone from sight. “Girl, she sure lit him up good.” Jubilee made a zigzag motion like lightning. “Kaboom!”

“That bad?” Rogue winced. She knew there had been threats before but assumed they’d find a way to work with each other on this. Then again, they were both under enormous pressure to make the school run smoothly and carry on Xavier’s legacy. 

“I know they're only holograms, but he had a body count going.” Jubilee added, part awe and part disgust, “It wasn’t pretty.”

They parted at the elevator, with Rogue going up to the staff rooms and Jubilee headed out. Rogue thought about going straight to bed, it had been a long day and everything could wait until the morning. All except one thing, seeing Logan. The talk they needed to have about making the school run well could wait, but she wanted to let him know she was back. She was staying, her parents had failed to lure her with her old life. 

To be sure he already knew she was at the mansion, probably heard the taxi turn off the main road. He would have naturally tuned his senses into that ‘intrusion’ to determine if it was a friend or foe. Once he established it was her, he’d move on to other things. She’d seen him do it on other occasions as people came and went, nothing a casual observer would notice, but something she did after imprinting him over a year ago. 

It was a common courtesy between friends she told herself. Yet she couldn’t convince herself of that completely. They’d left things at an awkward spot when she’d gone to see her parents. He’d acted his usual nonchalant self, it was her life, but there had been a mix of emotions in his eyes she hadn’t seen before and her own mind was in turmoil over their physical encounter and what it meant to their friendship. 

Love wasn’t something either of them spoke of. She thought she’d loved Bobby, but she wasn’t even sure of that anymore. The pain of breaking up didn’t last. It was the pain of being alone, isolated by her mutation that lingered. The pain that her friendship with Logan helped ease. 

In the past, she knew sex and love weren’t something Logan often associated with one another. His feelings toward women in general, beyond sex, were murky at best. Some stood out here or there for different reasons and that included his feelings for her. Everyone guessed he’d been in love with Dr. Grey, but he’d never said so nor had Rogue picked up on anything of the sort the night they kissed. 

At the moment, she was positive it was need that drove their friendship. Few others tried to understand them, he was solitary by nature of his feral instincts, her by her skin. It took effort most other’s didn’t care to put forth. For them it was simple, something clicked early on and friendship came effortlessly. It didn’t hurt that he’d saved her life and she kept him from going crazy from life at the mansion now. 

Rogue paused outside his door then knocked lightly. She didn’t wait for a response but slipped into his room. They’d done away with the pleasantries like that long ago. The knock wasn’t even necessary as she had yet to surprise him with her arrival. 

Letting her eyes adjust to the darkness, she dropped her bag by the door. He hadn’t been watching TV; it wasn’t even on, and he wasn’t in the main part of the room. Closing her eyes, she let the day fall away and her senses settle. 

Peering at the bed she saw where he’d been, there was enough light coming through the windows to reveal a fifth of whiskey on the nightstand. She couldn’t see him but felt him stalking her, and she squashed the urge to say something sassy to draw him out. The anticipation made her skin prickle and her heart beat faster.

He was in a dangerous mood. She’d seen him hunt down the enemy before in the Danger Room and remembered back when Stryker’s forces invaded the mansion but had never been on the receiving end. Tonight he was hunting prey that could kill him and that worried her. It also helped tamp down on her excitement, her speculation of why he was in such a mood. 

Her ears adapted to the quiet, and she thought she heard him breathing near the bed. That would only be possible if he wanted her to hear him. He was drawing her out instead and she couldn’t resist the temptation.

Cautiously, she went several steps further into the room angling toward where she thought he’d been. A growl from behind stopped her in her tracks. He wasn’t touching her but she could feel the heat from his body. Nothing else gave him away besides a tightening in her stomach.

There were so many things she wanted to tell him. Home had been everything she wished and everything she feared it would be. Yet not a bit of it was what she needed and none of it felt right. 

It all came down to one thing, the cure. All those months ago she didn’t take it to control her powers or to get closer to someone. She certainly wasn’t going to take it to stay at home again. “They wanted me to take the cure,” she whispered. 

“Did ya?” he breathed into her ear.

“No,” she answered with the same conviction from their talk before the X-Men left for Alcatraz. 

Logan grunted in reply. It wasn’t approval or rebuke, but a simple acceptance of her choice. His words of advice from that night came back to her, and she gave them voice, “I need to find another way, something better.”

Taking the final step, he closed the space between them. His hand splayed out across her stomach pulling her back into him. She wondered what his senses were telling him. He probably could tell her cabby smelled of garlic or possibly the sweet little old lady she sat beside for hours that smelled of peppermints. However, with his hard flesh pressed against her backside, he was more than likely concentrating on how aroused she was. 

She wanted this, needed this to prove to herself she’d made the right decision. That touching wasn’t beyond her control, that she could learn a way to make it work. And he was precisely the right person to show her the possibilities. 

Rogue tilted her head to the side, letting him have access to her neck. At first, she could only feel his breath as he tested her scent, sending goosebumps out before him. That was followed by a series of light lingering kisses that were meant to test her mutation as she found out when he remained a little too long. Yet he thought he might have the timing down and put thought into action with a lick back up her neck.

Damn, he’d been thinking about this while she was gone. A theory that started with a blowjob and saliva being a barrier of sorts. He was right, the slow drag of a wet tongue lasted longer. She’d only gotten the thoughts off the top of his head and she had to wonder what he was going to do with this new knowledge.

He didn’t make her wait long as he carefully slipped his hand down her pants, making sure he didn’t touch her skin. Any other time she’d be embarrassed at the oversized boyshort underwear she had on for comfortable travel, but they turned out to be great coverage for her skin and what he was doing. His expert fingers found her clit through the material and circled it. 

She tried to move, hoping for better leverage but he’d have none of it. His other arm crossed over her chest and he rested his chin on her shoulder. Reaching back with one hand she grabbed onto his hip and wrapped her other hand around his arm for support. All at once, his hand on her chest moved, thumbing her nipple, and she gasped.

Her mind was drawing a blank at what to do as this was beyond anything she’d done before. With his continued ministrations, she wanted a kiss but when she tried to move again; he held her in place with his teeth at her shoulder. It wasn’t painful, only a firm grip leaving her wanting more. 

“Logan,” she moaned plaintively.

A growl reverberated up and through her, making her squirm. He finally relented so that she could turn her body enough to get a good kiss. She was too excited and not concentrating properly, and her skin reacted almost immediately. The images that filled her head were not helpful in the least.  

Rogue pulled away to find her equilibrium, hating the loss of his embrace. The things he wanted to do to her, the sexual need pounding in his veins was breathtaking. What he’d been doing to her was nothing in comparison. 

She couldn’t wrap her head around it all. “Show me,” she murmured.

The cocky grin that greeted her should have been a warning and would have been to anyone else, but she took it as a good sign. This time when he pulled her to him, he kissed her hard, his hands automatically going to her waist, starting her pants on a downward trajectory. He ceased all contact a second before her mutation kicked in. 

Deliberately, he slid her pants and underwear off so that there was as little contact as possible. She got a good look at him for the first time. He was shirtless with only his flannel pj pants on, one of those concessions he’d made for living in the mansion.

Once he’d pulled off her shoes and pants he peered up from where he’d kneeled. She was reminded of their reversed positions from before she left. Fighting an urge to step back to protect him, she could see he’d already taken precautions. His hands firmly gripped her hips with her long t-shirt between them.

She could only watch as he leaned in. His breath stirred the curls covering her mound. The seconds ticked by like slow heartbeats until his tongue darted out for a quick taste of her. Her breath was caught in her throat at him wanting something so intimate from her. The second flick of his tongue lasted longer, once again testing his theory out. His tongue slid along her wet folds as far as she would let him until she thought her knees would give out from weakness. 

Dragging herself away from the pleasure, she kneeled next to him on the floor. She dared a slow kiss, groping at the flannel of his pants to take hold of his cock. He growled at her, jerking his hips as she stroked him. Wrenching them down to lay on the floor, he ended up between her knees, making her invitation clear. 

Logan fumbled for something on his nightstand and she realized when he came up with a condom that he really had been thinking about this. It warmed her heart a little that this need wasn’t one-sided and he wanted this to work for her. She felt silly for a split second staring at him as he rolled on the condom, working around his flannel pants and her half-dressed in her shirt. 

The embarrassment didn’t last long as he leaned over her, his eyes dark with desire. His kiss made her dizzy with their intertwined desire and heightened her own need. She was learning the timing of her mutation better than before and knew she should draw back when he suddenly entered her. There was an unexpected pain then a soothing as her power took hold of his healing factor. 

Breaking the kiss, his head hung above hers so that they still shared the same air. His jaw was set, his body tense and she knew this wasn’t from her mutation, it was from his. The pull this time was only a trickle but it allowed her a new look at his heightened senses. 

It was all laid bare for her to see. His animalistic tendencies, the feral nature that was driving him. The need was so raw, so real her own passions rose up in response. 

Rogue was glad she’d kept her gloves on instead of discarding them like she usually did in his room. They were her oldest gloves, threadbare from too much use. With them, she was able to feel the hair on his chest almost as if she had none on at all. 

Moving her hands down his sides, she tried to readjust her position. It was enough to get a sly grin out of him and an experimental thrust. Her eyes must have gone wider than she thought because his smile turned wicked and he started a slow steady pace that made her forget the hard floor under her back. 

Soon she no longer cared about anything else but the rhythm. He picked up the pace, and she became lost in the need. Her imagination had been lacking when she thought of wanting the entire package. All that was steeped in romantic notions but this was straight up unadulterated sex and it was wonderful. She wanted to do so much more but the tightening was building faster than she expected. 

It was as if he sensed her need as he ground into her sending her over the edge. Even in her state of euphoria, she felt him tense, hips jerking erratically as he found his own release. She was still coming down from her high when he rolled away to dispose of the condom.

Rogue laid next to him on the floor letting her breathing and heart rate even back out. This first taste of intimacy was too quick for her, but she wasn’t surprised due to the state he’d been in and her own need to know. It was exhilarating, and she knew from his memories it could be so much more. 

After a few minutes, she propped herself up on her side. “Logan?” she asked, running her gloved fingers across his chest. 

“It’s whatever you want it to be,” he said, voice still thick with need. 

Moving, she straddled his thighs so she could look him straight in the eye. “Dr. -”

He cut her off with a gruff, “Ain’t got nothing to do with this.”

She’d seen that but needed to hear that whatever had been between those two had died with her. No matter what this was, Rogue didn’t want to be a stand-in. 

“Hey,” he said, softly placing a hand on her knee. “You’re… I need you.”

She smiled down at him. “I make it tolerable here.” It wasn’t any big revelation, he did the same for her.

“More complicated than that,” he said. 

“But not love,” she stated firmly, hoping to buttress her own feelings in the matter. 

His eyes searched her face, and he finally gave up. “Don’t know,” he admitted, and she heard the hint of sadness in his voice. 

He’d moved his hand away as her skin started to react. She was glad; she didn’t want to know the complicated part. She was comfortable with the need, the want; with him allowing her the freedom to touch and explore. They shouldn’t try to make it something it wasn’t.

Good sounded awful in her head. He was right it was complicated. It wasn’t love, not yet, might never be; but it did lessen the struggle of life and that was enough.

“So we’re okay with this?” she asked, scooching up to his hips.

“You tell me when it doesn’t work for you,” he replied, pulling her down for a kiss. 

The little boosts of healing had left her feeling energized and wanting to work it off. It was an edgy high that if it went unchecked would leave her restless. If just these small sips of Logan’s mutation did this to her, it was no wonder he was always restive. 

Thinking of the first night when her mutation caused him to pull back, she imitated his response and kissed her way down his jaw. She liked that she could prolong the skin to skin contact this way. With her gloved hands, she traced the muscles of his chest and abdomen. She worked her kisses further down his neck and to his chest, while his hands settled on her hips. 

He repositioned her, pressing her down to rub on his hardening flesh. She hadn’t expected this. Well, she did have his memories and knew it was a possibility, but thought since they were working off tension that would be it. Then again, things had been bad enough that he got struck by lightning.  

Stopping, she peered up at him and his raised eyebrow. Lust was a fine thing and there was plenty of it written on his face. She’d had enough healing that being sore tomorrow wasn’t going to be an issue. 

“Like this?” she asked. Maybe her imprinting had picked up on those times that sex was more memorable because this went against the general theme of him being in the dominant position. 

“If you want,” he said. There was an underlying current to his answer. He didn’t just mean her on top but to have another go was completely up to her. 

This broke any anticipation she’d ever had for her first time. She spent so long hungry for this moment, afraid she’d never get a chance. Now the man she trusted most in this world was offering her an experience she hadn’t thought likely so soon.

Locating where the box of condoms fell from the nightstand, she handed him one. A pleasant rumble went through his chest and she gave him a shy smile holding up her gloved hands as an explanation. This time she watched him carefully as he rolled it on, minus the embarrassment. It wouldn’t hurt her to learn this part either, gloves weren’t always going to be a good excuse because there might be situations that she would need to be the one to do it. 

Without hesitation, she sank down on him when he’d finished. She sat there a second while he glided his hands up and down her thighs. It was most definitely one of the best feelings she’d ever experienced. There was a small thought of what would make it better, she pushed that to the side as she wasn’t ready to go there. 

Bending over, she kissed him briefly. Then again, more deeply after adjusting herself for a more comfortable position. She moved tentatively, small shallow moves so she could concentrate on kissing. 

A growl of frustration made her glance up as he rested his hands on her hips again. Tilting her slightly, he moved her in a deeper motion. Gasping she arched away from him; the pleasure intensified, coiling. 

Rogue caught the smug smile on his lips before she closed her eyes to fully enjoy the movement. It wasn’t long before his hands found her peaked nipples amid the fabric of her t-shirt. Pushing up her shirt, he palmed them against the lace of her bra. She moaned when he sucked the lace and all into his mouth.

She didn’t know if it was the lace that added a rough quality that made her stomach tighten even more or if that was natural. Her legs started shaking as she rode him, slowing to try and prolong the sensations. If she stopped to catch her breath, she was doubtful that she could find the right pressure again.

Logan seemed intent on her breasts and between his mouth and fingers, she was sure it would be her undoing. When he slipped the lace down, she thought about making him stop for fear of miscalculating her mutation. He paused, his hot breath making her nipple even harder, but the moment his tongue swirled around it was the last straw. 

The cry that escaped her throat was beyond her control as she spasmed. Slowing, she backed away, her breasts suddenly overly sensitive. He reached for her, to pull her to him. She almost resisted until she saw his face and the clenched jaw. He was close. 

Relaxing, she let him guide her. She kissed him when he began thrusting up to meet her hips. One of them was making a low, needy sound and another orgasm sweep through her as he went rigid, spilling himself. 

This time it took him longer to disentangle himself from her to clean up. When he was done, he coaxed her up to the bed. The energy she’d felt just a little while ago was gone. She was done in and didn’t feel ready to leave yet. There didn’t seem to be any rules to this, and she hated to make any and muddle things. 

“You can stay,” he commented, probably sensing her lack of energy. 

“Don’t wanna impose,” she answered, stifling a yawn. 

“Can move to the couch,” he said, turning to his side away from her. “Fall asleep there half the time, anyway.”

He had her there. It wasn’t out of the ordinary for her to fall asleep on his couch at the end of a long day. The next morning she’d head back to her room when he got up for the morning. They were both early risers, and it never caught the attention of the staff or students. 

“Logan?”

“Yeah.”

“What’s this theory about water surface tension?” she asked. He was a more thoughtful man than most people gave him credit for, probably why he and Hank got along so well. Yet this theory intrigued her because it was strictly about her mutation. 

He let out a low sexy chuckle. “A few more kinks to work out before we test that out.” 

Rogue lay there letting her mind wander at the thought of them, kinks, and water. She was beginning to realize that there was so much more to sex than all that romantic stuff she always wanted. 

“Get some sleep, kid.”

She sighed in contentment. Her world wasn’t perfect and tonight wasn’t going to fix her problems. It was a comfortable arrangement she and Logan had, downright congenial if she thought about it and that should give her pause. However, right now they both needed something to get them through the day and into the next. She’d be a fool to look a gift horse in the mouth and the Logan in her head agreed. This was enough for the time being.