Two weeks they'd been at this remote cabin. Rogue had followed him everywhere, looking where he did, stopping to listen when he did. She'd quickly learned to quiet herself. Logan was an apex predator because he acted like one. She would never attain his level, she had to be realistic about that, but she could stop being the boulder crashing and careening down the side of the mountain.

Her only problem was that she began to enjoy following him a little too much. They were outside often and in the warm afternoons, she liked to watch him make his way through the forest, senses working, muscles flexing. She liked to try to be as quiet as she could and be observant so he would flash her that approving smile that made a warmth radiate through her body.

Numerous times she reminded herself to not get attached, to not look at him as anything more than a bodyguard. But she failed at it often, wishing his smile was approving in a different way. Or hoping to feel that growl of his reverberate through her body. Worst of all were the dreams, their images stayed in her mind and made her flush from the memory during the daylight hours.

When they weren't outside, they were in the cabin. It was small, almost too comfortable for the two of them. Logan rarely remained idle, if he wasn't working on something he was reading. There was a decent selection of books and magazines that had accumulated over the years and she went for a set of scientific magazines. He'd raised an eyebrow at her, but she didn't want to read something that appealed to her. She wanted to broaden her horizons or at least say that she tried.

Over meals, they discussed other topics and she found him to be a wealth of knowledge. This perturbed her more than anything. No wonder she had no control over her life, she wasn't using a fraction of her brain. True he had more than a few years on her but still she'd always let things go in one ear and out the other to get through the day. Yet she needed to do more than that now. She wanted to do more than just get through life and she couldn't do that if she didn't even store information. She might never use it but one never knew when it could come in handy.

Logan found this assignment to be a big change from any protection detail he'd ever handled. Usually, the person involved wasn't interested in anything he said or did. Some of them could barely be bothered to comply with orders designed to keep them safe.

Rogue was different and he found himself enjoying her company. So much so that he knew if they weren't forced together he would still choose to spend time with her. He got the feeling it was much the same for her and that was concerning.

At first, her interest seemed to be based purely on curiosity, possibly the desire to learn. But the last few days that curiosity had changed. She watched him constantly, even when he was simply reading. He'd also begun to pick up on other signs of interest in him that ranged toward a sexual nature.

The sexual interest didn't make him uncomfortable in the least, he understood that side of human nature, he'd be more surprised if there wasn't some level of attraction. He found her attractive and knew under different circumstances he might try to woo her. However, the circumstances weren't different and he'd taken on this assignment to protect her, not to bed her. He refused to mix business and pleasure no matter how badly his instincts told him that it wouldn't hurt this one time.