Rogue stared at the scientific journal in her hand. Apparently, there was someone else in the world besides Dr. McCoy that found genetics fascinating. It wasn’t that she couldn’t understand what the author was writing about, but unlike Dr. McCoy who had humility, this person thought so highly of himself that it seeped into the article. She might need to check and make sure her eyes hadn’t rolled out of her head. 
Putting the magazine down on the end table, she glanced over at Logan. The old unobservant Rogue would have thought he was completely engrossed in the book he had. However, she’d quickly learned that his senses were still tuned into the surroundings. Not just her and the room, but everything outside for some distance. 

Right now he had an amused smile on his face and an eyebrow raised in her direction. Early on she’d been restless because she didn’t have her phone to entertain her during downtimes. She’d adjusted, and no longer minded the quiet and had found other things to occupy her time. This evening though, she wanted to discuss the kiss from earlier in the day. She also knew he would most likely dismiss the notion that something had happened between them. 

Since a sanctimonious puff piece wasn’t holding her attention, she needed to find a topic of conversation he would be willing to engage in. “Why’d you leave the X-Men?”

“It was time,” he answered without looking up. She huffed, and he laid down his book. “Helped Chuck train his first X-Men. Lasted longer than I thought it would. When it became apparent that we were never going to see eye to eye on how to conduct missions, I thought it best to part ways.” 

“Before you got kicked out?” She was pretty sure no one ever got kicked out, but from the stories she’d heard, Wolverine would be the one to make it happen. 

“No, Darlin’. I left of my own free will,” he said with a smile. “Chuck and I are still on good terms or he wouldn’t have called me in on this.”

That was one rumor down, but she had another that intrigued her more. “I heard you lusted after Ms. Grey and tried to break up her and Mr. Summers.” Everyone loved a good love triangle, though she didn’t see Logan as a home-wrecking type. 

He stared at her for a second before breaking out in a laugh. “The only thing Scooter and I fought over was the stick up his ass.”

At her wide eyes, he realized she’d never heard anyone talk about Cyke in that manner. She probably only heard glowing reports of his behavior and his godlike status as a leader. It might surprise her to know he was once as green as she was, only a little too cocky for his own good. 

Knocking the X-Men legends down a peg or two could wait for another day. Since she wanted to talk, maybe he could get some information out of her. “What kind of name is Rogue?”

“When I left home, I wanted a name that seemed independent and fearless.” She sighed, “Didn’t quite turn out that way.”

“What’s your real name?” he asked, not expecting an answer. 

Pausing for a moment, she smiled at him coyly, “Marie.”

“Marie.” He liked the way it rolled off his tongue, and he squashed the thought that followed. Her scent changed subtly at the tone he used. Ignoring that change had worked up to now, and he’d stick with a winning plan because he was on a job and that would not be happening.

Besides, he had some news that would pour cold water on any thoughts that didn’t deal with her safety. “Victor will be here in a few days.”

“What?” she squeaked out. 

He didn’t miss the way she gripped the arm of the couch or her scent switching suddenly to anxious. “He has some information that might bring this to a head.”

Her hand loosened some on the couch and he could see that she was trying to calm herself. He gave her a moment to collect herself as he got up for a beer. She would need to work on being less on edge around Victor. Taking a swig of his beer he told her, “Two things Victor likes,” he began making sure he had her attention. “People panicking and their fear of him.” 

From what little she remembered of her interactions with him and others, those things did seem to bring him some delight. That smile he’d had in the hotel before they left New York only appeared when she’d panicked. It was unnerving even now. “Will he leave me alone if I don’t show it,” she asked with a bit of hope.

“Victor never leaves anyone alone,” he added thinking of the favored nickname for himself still being used after all these years. “But it will help.”

It was something that Rogue could work with. She knew Sabretooth would leave her be while in Logan’s care. He wanted the money the gig brought more than the cheap thrill of messing with her. Even though she doubted she would have to face him, it was always a possibility if she became an X-Man and it would be better to tackle that issue sooner rather than later.

Dr. McCoy had shown her some relaxation techniques when she first began trying out for a spot on one of the teams. Logan had also insisted on some meditation during her training and both of those things would be of use now. It was worth a shot, and she had several days to work on it. The first thing she needed though was a good night’s sleep.




Dragging herself from bed, Rogue made her way to the bathroom. Despite her determination, sleep had evaded her. She spent the night tossing and turning, not at all bothered by Sabretooth’s approaching arrival. 

Instead, she’d awaken more than once breathless from a dream featuring Logan. The kiss the previous morning had ignited a fire in her body that wasn’t going to be extinguished by simply ignoring it. Staring in the mirror, she wondered briefly if she could borrow some of his healing because she looked like crap. However, she was afraid her new found control might be lost or worse of all, she would actually know Logan’s feelings for her. 

Best to suck it up and get on with her day. She could smell breakfast and decided to forgo a shower until she was properly caffeinated and her stomach wasn’t growling. After quickly making herself more presentable, she headed for the kitchen. 

To her dismay, Logan appeared well-rested and immaculately groomed. Although that wasn’t completely unusual as he started most days that way. It just rubbed her the wrong way this morning. Even more annoying was the eyebrow he lifted at her.

“Not all of us have healing factors,” she mumbled testily reaching for a mug from the cabinet. 

Logan couldn’t help but chuckle at her attitude. It was kind of cute seeing this side of her. Yet her scent wasn’t cute at all, it was downright bothersome. It was of unfulfilled need and their close proximity didn’t help.

They’d learned to work around each other in the small kitchen. Often they had to reach around one another for something during meal prep. The coffee percolator on the back burner was always a stretch for her and he was giving her as much room as possible while cooking the sausage. 

When she squeezed by him they made contact, not just any contact but the soft round swell of her breast. That desire she’d smelled of roared to the front, making him pause. For her part, she didn’t grab the coffee, instead; she moved back rubbing the now taut nipple against his arm. 

A growl rumbled up through his chest as he turned on her. “Marie,” he ground out, warning himself as much as her. 

A little breathy sound escaped her lips, those full lush lips and her head lifted defiantly, full of that new confidence. Suddenly, he had her in his arms, her lips parting for his tongue.

Just like their daily sparring sessions, she was eager to learn what he had to teach her. She was all too willing and instinctively she moved her body in ways that did nothing to curb his need. He kissed his way down her throat as her fingertips dug into his flesh.

Picking her up, he cradled his hips with her heat. He couldn’t remember a time he’d needed someone so badly. They’d been putting this moment off since arriving and all he could concentrate on was the little noises she was making and her scent. He was so focused on the way she rubbed herself on his denim covered hard-on, her heat making his cock throb painfully, that everything else fell away. She made a pleading noise that sounded like his name seconds before the smoke alarm went off.

Dropping her, he stepped back and pulled the skillet of sausages from the burner. If not for all her training, she would have lost her balance and fell. Rogue’s mind was scrambling to catch up with the turn of events.  

She could see he wanted to pace, but the tiny kitchen wouldn’t allow it. He scrubbed his hands over his face before glancing at her. “This can’t happen,” he said, his voice laden with guilt. Glaring at the smoke alarm, he continued, “I won’t have you hurt because I lost my focus.” 

Nodding in understanding, she watched him stalk from the cabin. He didn’t go far, doing a perimeter check then finding a place within sight for meditation. For a full minute she thought about being melodramatic and throwing a fit, but that didn’t feel right. Certainly not for someone who was in control of herself.

Pouring her coffee, she rescued one of the half-burnt sausage patties from the pan. It was a fitting breakfast after what just took place. She slowly chewed, while climbing on the counter to stop the beeping of the smoke alarm. Sitting down on the counter, she watched him meditate as she ate another sausage. He was right of course, they had completely ignored a possible danger for the needs of the flesh. Not that they would die from burned sausage, but it showed a lack of awareness that could eventually get her killed. 

The one thing she couldn’t get out of her mind as she cleaned up for the day was that he cared about her. His only reason for not finishing what they started was her life hanging in the balance. That could mean he wasn’t opposed to more with her when this mess was all sorted out and that helped keep the fire inside her alive.