Back on solid ground, the team exited the jet, everyone carrying something, Jean, Scott and Ororo carrying boxes of files and hard drives, Rogue carrying the still sleeping toddler. The Professor met them at the hanger door.

"I would suggest taking the records directly to the computer lab, Katherine is on standby to assist you with accessing and decoding records in the morning Scott. As for this development," he eyed the sleeping child, "I am open to suggestions on what we should do with him tonight?"

Before anyone else could speak Jean proposed, "I think it would be best he stays with Rogue, if that's alright with you of course Rogue, he seems to have become quite attached to you and he's been through a lot just recently, something somewhat familiar should help him settle in."

"I was actually going to suggest the same thing," Rogue said, as the sleepy head lifted, suspicious eyes roving the room before coming to rest on Rogue's face, and closing again with a contented sigh.

"Very well," Charles responded, "If there is anything you need tonight let us know."

"I should be fine for tonight," Rogue replied, "Though I will grab some snacks on my way up in case he gets hungry." With that she excused herself. She exited the elevator at the ground level, making her way to the kitchen it suddenly occurred to her, she didn't have enough hands to carry an armful of snacks and a sleeping child to her room. Catching sight of a shopping bag sticking out of a cupboard she snagged it. Pulling the bag out one handed, she slowly moved around the kitchen picking up snack foods and loading the bag up.

She had a few pieces of fruit, crackers, some beef jerky, a couple of bottles of water, and a small jar of peanut butter. Readjusting the slipping child so she could get her arm around him better, she smiled softly as she felt his cheek come to rest on her shoulder, picking up the bag she made her way back to her room. Boxes were still being ferried up from the jet so she turned to the stairs to get to her room; she almost regretted that decision by the time she got to her room on the third level.

She opened her door, a soft click heralding the opening of the door, that sound enough to bring awareness to the child in her arms. Pausing to steady him as he jerked awake, she spoke softly as she entered the room. "It's alright little man, this is my bedroom, it's time for sleeping now."

She put the bag of snacks on her desk before she clicked on the desk lamp, bathing the room in a soft glow, enough to see by but hopefully not enough to wake the child up too much. He had other ideas though and wriggled, indicating he wanted down, so she leaned down and gently set his bare feet on the floor. She watched as he first looked, then scurried around the room to explore. He peered under the bed before crawling underneath it, popping shortly out from under the other side. He pulled himself up to the window, mushing his face against the glass trying to see outside.

He tugged a throw off the couch, before climbing onto it. Rogue turned, and nearly had a heart attack, as he jumped off the couch in the direction of the bed, she was momentarily impressed that he almost made the substantial distance before he hit the floor with a thump. Before she could move to check on him, he was up again, sticking his head into the bathroom but refusing to go in, before moving to the wardrobe and crawling in through the open door, a shoe flew out a second later.

Laughing to herself, she finished setting out the snacks for quick reach, then moved over to the door, pushing it closed. At the click of the door latch catching, her little charge rolled out of the wardrobe, eyes locked on the now closed door, he growled softly. Rogue regarded him curiously for a moment before she reached over and opened the door again. Dark eyes snapped to her hand where it sat on the door handle. He walked over to her and pushed the door closed, regarded the door for a moment before he quickly hit the door, he seemed surprised, then reached out and touched the door again, this time for a bit longer, then a third time placed his hand on the door holding it there for a beat.

Looking back at Rogue, he reached up, standing up on his toes, and twisted the door handle, the door opened. He stuck his head out, looking this way and that, then closed the door, then opened the door, then closed it, opened it again, before closing it one last time and turning back to continue exploring the room. He quickly spotted the snacks on the desk, and pulled himself onto the desk chair, pointing to the bottles on the desk he spoke, for only the second time since Rogue had laid eyes on him.

"Water," he stated.

With a smile Rogue twisted the cap off a bottle and helped him hold it to his lips to take small sips. After several sips he pushed the bottle away. He looked around the room again before scrunching up his adorable little nose, turning back to Rogue he said adorably, "Pee-pee?"

Rogue laughed, and held out her arms to him, he reached up and grabbed onto her and she carried him into the bathroom. He momentarily panicked as they entered the room and Rogue paused for a moment, to soothe him, before pointing to the toilet and repeating, "Pee-pee."

He seemed to understand and Rogue sat him down on the toilet, she was just wondering how much assistance he'd need when she watched him scrunch up his nose again, and heard the wet splashing sound of urine flowing into the toilet bowl. After a moment the sound stopped, and in a heartbeat, he’d leaped off the toilet and tried to dart out of the room.

"Oh no you don't," Rogue giggled, "Wash your hands now."

He looked at her confused, so Rogue sat him down on the bench, and slowly turned the tap until a gentle stream of water came out, then she took his hands, put a drop of soap on one and lathered them up. He looked at first surprised, and then excited by the bubbles clinging to his skin, and then he tried to put them in his mouth. Rogue giggled again at the sour face he pulled, before moving his hands back to the water to rinse the soap away, watching as his eyes followed the bubbles down the drain. Then she pulled out a hand towel and gently dried his hands. She noted that his hands were now substantially cleaner than the rest of him, and briefly considered trying to introduce him to the bath, but the sight of his mouth opening wide in a sleepy yawn changed her mind - he could have a bath in the morning.

Scooping him up, she walked back to the bedroom, and deposited him on the bed, tugging back the covers, she left them open for him, before gathering up her nightgown. She petted his hair and told him to sleep now, before she moved to the bathroom to get out of her uniform. She left the door slightly ajar, as he seemed to have an aversion to closed doors, and she didn’t want to risk upsetting him by closing him in a different room to her. Quickly she peeled off the sticky leather and slipped on her long nightgown, just to be on the safe side she also slipped on a pair of tights, and gloves. She didn't think there was much risk of him touching her face so she tried not to worry about that, though she did let her hair out of the high ponytail she'd put it into for the mission, so it could fall down around her face and neck.

As she turned back to the bedroom, she noted the little grubby face with its big dark eyes, pressed up to the gap in the bathroom door, watching her. She smiled to herself and decided it was a good thing she hadn't shut the door.

Gathering the toddler back up again, she carried him back to bed before she climbed under the covers, and pulled him under with her. He shuffled around for a while, burrowing under the covers, this way and that, before his head popped back out top side, he watched her lay her head down on a pillow and pull the sheets up, then arranged himself mirroring her. She thought that was it, and he was done for the night and ready to sleep, right before he burst into another quick movement, moving right up close to her and snuggling up against her, with his arms wrapped around her as best as he could. At that he let out another contented sigh and promptly fell asleep.

Rogue stayed awake for a short time, just watching him sleep and gently stroking his hair, before sleep claimed her too. Her last thought was, 'if only all missions ended like this'.

--

Rogue woke with a start, the room was just lightening indicating early dawn, she quickly remembered her bed mate from the night before but discovered him missing. A sound from the desk behind her caught her attention and she rolled over to spot the toddler sitting on her desk munching on crackers, his dark eyes watching her closely. With a smile she rolled the rest of the way over and swung her legs over the edge of the bed, standing up and walking over towards the desk she noted how the little boy shifted, keeping the food in his grip and shifting it away from her almost as if he was guarding it.

She smiled brightly, and reached for the water bottle. "Do want a drink too?" she asked him, holding the now open bottle towards him. He quickly reached out and grabbed hold of the bottle, guiding the mouth of the bottle to his own lips and hurriedly gulping down mouthfuls of water.

"Slow down sweetie, you don't want to drown yourself, take a break and take a breath," she prompted.

He released the bottle, swallowing the last of his mouthful of water before sucking in a big breath of fresh air. Smiling again, Rogue moved to collect up more of the food, she opened the jerky packet that looked like someone had tried to eat the jerky through the plastic - obviously he hadn't been able to get the packet open - as soon as it was open he abandoned the crackers and tried to grab the dried meat. Pulling it back with a stern look Rogue waited for him to pull back, he did but with a dark look and a low growl.

"None of that thank you," she said, trying to sound authoritative, she could understand his eagerness to get the best food but he wasn't in a cell anymore and he would need to learn quickly that out here food was given, not taken. "I know you can speak so you can use your words, would you like some jerky?"

The little boy looked surprised for a minute, then a little wary, before he said quietly, "Yes."

"Yes please," Rogue prompted, smiling at him.

"Yes p'ease," he replied. Rogue quickly handed him a large piece of jerky and watched as he tore into it, quickly devouring it.

"More?" he asked.

"Another drink of water first," Rogue replied, picking up the bottle again and supporting it as he gulped down some more water.

"More!" he announced again, pointing at the meat once he'd swallowed the water.

They continued this way for about half an hour, various foods being portioned and offered between sips of water, as Rogue gently reminded him to ask nicely and working in please’s and thank you's. By the time they were done she'd decided his manners were probably good enough to eat with the rest of the children in the cafeteria without trying to steal anyone else's food, the only question in that plan would be how he handled a large group of people.

Once they finished the early morning snack-fest, the tot let out a big yawn and reached for Rogue. Picking him up gently she moved back to the bed and they both snuggled back down to sleep some more, the little filled tummy gurgling contently.