Author's Chapter Notes:
A little shorter than I would like, but it just felt like where I should end this chapter.
Stepping back to look over the tiny studio apartment, Marie wasn't sure if she should feel ridiculous or not unpacking her belongings and placing her own personal touch across her temporary home. The apartment was pretty basic, although it was obvious Logan took measures to take care of it.

It was rather sad and pathetic to realize all her worldly belongings fit into so few boxes and could in essence fill a tiny apartment with plenty of room to still move around. She found herself once again cursing Bobby and the mess that was her life.

Wallowing in self-pity, she did not hear Logan knock on the door. Logan chuckled when Marie jumped like an alley cat when he spoke from behind her. He felt an uncomfortable warmth seeing her in his home, although it wasn't truly his home. He deftly ignored the feeling. Pushing it into the far recesses of his mind. Although not far enough.

"See you're settling in. Do you have everything you need? We can make a run up to the store if you need groceries."

Marie was certain that she would always find herself off balance around Logan. For such a large man, he was rather stealthy. One day, she promised herself, she would sneak a bell on him. She smiled at the image.

Realizing he was waiting for her response, she looked back to see his eyebrow lifted and a smirk gracing his face.

"Yeah, yes that would be great. Thanks. Give me a minute to make a list."

She rummaged through her boxes until she found scrap paper and a pen. She jotted down a list of very basic groceries and toiletries. The bed had fresh linen and brand new pillows. One less item she would need to purchase.

She had the impression that Logan may have very recently purchased the bedding and towels for the bathroom. The image of Logan buying her bedding made her blood heat up.

Fantasies of Logan in her bed flashed across her brain causing her to stumble. She needed to put a hard stop to those thoughts. She did not need to lust after her new landlord and boss. It would make everything awkward if she developed a crush on her one friend in this town. Were they friends, she pondered? Or was it more of a mutually beneficial business arrangement?

If she could train herself to only think of Logan in those terms, maybe she could shake the stardust out of her eyes. She had just left one bad relationship, she didn't need to step into anything unhealthy. She could lock down the lust. Lord knows she had years of experience beating back the urges for sexual release.

Watching the emotions playing across her face, Logan felt the urge to hold Marie in his arms. She was as skittish as a newborn colt. He knew they were on a dangerous collision course right now. He needed to find a way to fight these desires he had to protect and comfort her.

He had never felt this way before about anyone. He was Webster's definition of lone wolf. He knew from past experiences that opening himself up to anyone led to heartache so deep and raw, you were left in pieces. Never again one hundred percent whole.

He swore he would never be that vulnerable again. Never have to fight to be human once more. There was no enticement worth that pain.

He hardened his heart. The smile falling off his face. His eyes, full of light, were now icy and cold. He felt the stiffening of his posture. It was too late to take back his offer.

Tomorrow morning, he'd introduce her to Jean and she would be out of his hair. He would limit his interactions with her. Business only from this moment on.


An hour later, Marie carted her bags into the apartment. Grateful to be alone again. She still was unsure what had happened but the change in Logan was day and night. He had been stiff and quiet. The only words spoken was the reminder to be at the shop at 7:30 the next morning.

The jovial mood from earlier was a distant memory. She told herself it was best. Hadn't she decided herself that she needed to put distance between them. Business only.

So why did this hurt so much?
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry for the angst. It was totally not planned. I was hoping for a lighter, more jovial chapter but they felt otherwise.