Logan was walking down the hall toward the cafeteria, on the first day of the new school year. The school was unusually quiet, it seemed everyone was sleeping in, trying to enjoy the last inkling of holiday time before having to return to the normal drudgery of school life. Except whoever was in the library, he thought, as he heard voices from within. He paused to listen.

"That's why it's perfect," he heard Bobby saying. "You can play up being mad that I got off easy after the camp stunt, use that to weasel your way into their good books."

"But why would I want to do that?" A second voice, the accent giving it away as Remy's, asked. "I thought the whole idea was to fuck with them?"

"Exactly, and this is going to be epic," Bobby continued, "He's totally got the hots for the sweet little untouchable virgin, only, she's not as untouchable as either of them think, her mutation's a piece of cake to get around if the dick had the imagination to think about it. You go in, put the moves on her, pop that cherry right under his nose before he can figure out what he's doing with that thing in his pants, he'll be so pissed!"

After a moment both boys laughed. "That actually doesn't sound like a half bad plan," Remy eventually admitted, "I gotta admit she is cute, might not be a half bad fuck either, but won't I get in trouble with the Professor, for screwing his niece?"

"What's he gonna do? It's not like it's illegal, he can be pissed all he likes but teenagers fuck around all the time," Bobby dismissed, "And if you knock her up you know her parents will make her have an abortion, so go all out," he added with another chuckle.

Their footsteps picked up, approaching the door of the library, so Logan ducked through the first doorway down the hall, slipping in just as the pair entered the hallway. They headed to the cafeteria, none the wiser that their grand plan had been overheard. Logan meanwhile was fuming, how dare they, he was used to them doing shitty things to him but to plan to hurt Marie like that... fuck that, and fuck them. But could he tell her, should he tell her, surely if she wanted to have sex with Remy that was her choice, right? But he owed it to her to tell her it was all for a prank, didn't he? Or would she just think he was being jealous? Would she think that meant he wanted her? He did, but would that scare her off?

He was deep in thought as he left the room he had hidden in, meandering down the hall in the direction of breakfast.

"Morning!" Marie said, stepping right up beside him and nudging him with her shoulder.

Logan jumped, the claws in his left arm snapping into place. "Shit, I didn't hear you coming," he laughed, when she suddenly appeared right beside him, quickly sliding his claws away again.

Marie was glancing at him with a frown before her face cracked into a grin. "Oh my gosh, did I just manage to sneak up on the feral?!" she teased.

"Yeah, I think you did," Logan replied with a chuckle, "Don't worry, it won't happen again."

"Challenge accepted," Marie responded with a smug grin, as they continued on to breakfast.

Logan was still deep in thought as Marie chattered away about the coming day, it didn't take her long to realise he wasn't listening. Cheekily she began throwing out some bizarre statements of things she was planning to do today, waiting to see what he would pick up on.

"... and then I was thinking of going on a naked forest walk, and maybe ..."

Logan choked on his drink. "You what?" he suddenly commented.

"Oh, you're paying attention now? So, me being naked gets your attention, hmm, interesting," Marie replied, a cheeky grin on her lips.

"No offence but I think you being naked would get everyone's attention, not all for the same reasons though," Logan responded.

"So, what's eating at you mister, you gonna spill or you just going to brood sexily in a corner for the rest of the day?" Marie asked.

"You think I'm sexy when I'm brooding?" Logan replied, "Hm, might have to do that more often," he teased in return, watching Marie's cheeks suffuse with colour. She didn't reply, instead stuffed more food into her mouth and took a drink, to avoid both speaking and looking at him. "I overheard something, and now I'm not sure if I should tell the person I overheard being spoken about," Logan eventually told her.

"Is it something that will upset them?" Marie asked, once she had got her reactions under control.

"Probably, but if I don't say something, what they're planning might hurt that person too," Logan replied, "At the same time, for what they're planning to work, that person has to want it too, but if they knew the motivation behind it, I don't think they would want it, but..."

"This is really bothering you isn't it?" Marie interrupted him. "In that case, I think you should tell, you are an honourable person and if this thing is so bad that it's got you worrying like this, then it's probably as bad you think it is."

Logan nodded, as he thought over her statement. He glanced around the room, spotting Bobby and Remy, sitting at different tables, though the one was nodding to the other, and towards Logan and Marie's table. "I overheard Bobby and Remy in the library this morning," he said, as he glared daggers at an oblivious Bobby. "They were talking about their next prank on us, Remy's planning to infiltrate our friend group on the excuse that he's sorry for the camp incident and Bobby tricked him into it, and now he's mad with Bobby for screwing him over and leaving him to take the fall."

"Don't see how they think that's going to work," Marie giggled, "They've been hanging out every spare second this summer."

"Yeah well, you know Remy has empathy powers, right? He can manipulate emotions, I guess they're counting on that to help them," Logan shrugged.

"And what are they planning on doing once Remy has infiltrated our friend group?" Marie asked curiously.

Logan paused. "Their plan is to... for Remy to... sweet talk his way into your pants," he said in a rush.

"Wait, what? He wants to have sex with me? Why?" Marie asked, at first shocked before she turned suspicious.

It was Logan's turn to blush. "Be-ecause... they think it will upset me if Remy, uh, ‘pops your cherry’, was the exact term used," he mumbled in response.

"...And would it?" Marie asked curiously.

"If they're just using you to hurt me, hell yeah, that's cruel, you don't do shit like that, *you* don't deserve that but, I mean, if- if you wanted to, do that, with one of them... well, that's your choice..." Logan trailed off looking uncomfortable. He had thought about it quite a bit this morning and truth was, yes, it would upset him if she chose someone else. He was almost certain he was in love with her, he missed her like crazy any minute they weren't together, he lived for these moments they got to spend together. He just didn't know how to tell her that... did she even think about them like that? Or were they just friends?

Marie sat in silent contemplation for a few minutes, chewing slowly on her cereal, before she smiled. "Thank you for telling me," she said softly, before she started a new conversation.

As if on cue, a few minutes later Remy wandered over and asked if there was a spare seat at their table. Marie glanced pointedly at the three empty seats around them before turning back to Remy. "No," she answered firmly, before turning back to her and Logan's own conversation.

Remy wasn't taking the hint though, sitting down beside her anyway. "Look, I'm sorry about the camp thing, Bobby screwed me over just as much as you, I was just trying to fit in but he..."

"That's the best sob story you and him could come up with, 'Oh I got caught and now I'm mad with Bobby, let me be your friend'... no, not gonna happen, especially not when we know exactly what you two were talking about this morning, what, you didn't realise the walls of this place have ears, do you really think I'm stupid enough to fall for your sweet talking bullshit? Go try someone else Cajun." Marie snapped, picking up her empty dishes and walking away. Logan stayed a mite longer, with a smug grin on his face, as he finished off the last of his breakfast, before collecting his own dishes and walking off in the same direction.

He jogged after Marie to catch up to her before she got out of the cafeteria, sliding an arm around her waist to rest his hand possessively on her hip. It was meant as a message, to the boys staring after them in stunned silence, but when Marie looked up at him and smiled, before wrapping her own arm around his waist, he suddenly felt a lot more comfortable, complete. Maybe Marie did feel the same way he felt.

--

Classes were tedious and boring throughout the day. Though they were both in different grades several of their classes overlapped, with both grade levels being in the same class. History was one of those classes, so when their history teacher assigned the first project of the semester as a pairs project, and instructed the class to pair off, they immediately called dibs on each other.

The teacher had a list of projects, each one was written on a slip of paper and chucked in a hat, which was passed around the room for selection. Logan and Marie got the Korean War.

"Damnit," Logan huffed.

"What?" Marie asked curiously.

"Dad wasn't in that one, literally any other armed conflict around then and I could just ask dad, except that one," he groused.

Marie giggled before whispering back, "Isn't that cheating?"

"Not if you consider my dad a walking history audiobook," he replied, with a grin and a shrug, before leaning over to the pair beside him. A moment later he was back, a shit eating grin on his face as he showed Marie the slip of paper he had swapped with the pair next to them. The Rhee sisters were Korean, so more than happy to swap for an event they were more familiar with, now Logan and Marie had the Vietnam War.

"Let me guess, your dad was there?" she asked with a grin.

"Yep," Logan replied, tucking the slip of paper into his pocket.

"Cheater," Marie teased, though she had to admit, it would be interesting to hear a first-hand account of the events on the ground, assuming Mr Creed was happy to talk about it.

They had two weeks to complete the project but as it was their first homework assignment of the semester, both wanted to get it out of the way sooner rather than later. Heading up to their rooms Logan suggested they use his room, his and his dads suite had a kitchen, stuffed full of snacks, so it was the logical choice.

"What trouble are you two up to?" Victor asked, not looking up from his newspaper, when the pair walked in.

"We've got a history project to work on, what can you tell us about 'Nam?" Logan asked, heading straight for the fridge after dumping his and Marie's books on the counter.

"A hell of a lot, what do you need to know?" Victor asked, smiling over at Marie who stood, somewhat apprehensively in the kitchen. Logan handed her a can of soda as he pulled more snacks out of the cupboard.

"We need to pick one, very interesting, event from the war and write a five-thousand-word essay about it, what happened, why is happened, what happened as a result. Got any tips?" Logan asked.

Victor chuckled. "Flight 739," he replied, "But I can't give you any information on it so you'd have to do the research and come to your own conclusions," he replied with a wink.

"Ooh, something classified," Logan replied eagerly, "Let's do that!" he announced to Marie.

"I don't know, sounds like something that might get us in trouble," Marie giggled.

"That just makes it more interesting," Logan answered, "Let's see how close we can get to the truth, shall we?"

"How are we going to know if we do that?" Marie asked, "Your dad already said he can't tell us."

"Not with words," Logan conspiratorially replied, "Just come up with a few different possibilities and see which one he reacts to."

"I taught you to be too sneaky," Victor chuckled from the couch.

"Observant!" Logan corrected, as the pair walked into his room, shutting the door behind them.

Victor let them go, nothing would be happening in that room, even with the door closed, Logan knew he could hear everything that went on in there and that some smells gave away some activities, so he trusted them to keep it ‘g’ rated.