Logan silently slipped into Marie's room, it was just before five am, and today, was Marie's sixteenth birthday. She had tried to keep it a secret, she didn't want a party or anyone to make a fuss, so, Logan was going to respect that... but he'd still got her a present. Marie stirred as he deposited the present on her bedside table, opening her eyes she jumped when she saw someone in her room before she realised who it was.

"Shit Logan, you scared the hell out of me," she laughed off her own reaction as she sat up, rubbing her eyes as she stretched and yawned. "What are you doing anyway? Sneaking into my room before dawn, you're going to get us in trouble," she said coyly.

"Nah, no one's up yet, no trouble, I was just dropping off a surprise," Logan replied, sitting down on the bed beside her.

"Did you get me something?" Marie asked amusedly exasperated.

"Of course I did, you said you didn't want a fuss made so I figured I'd give it to you now, you can open it later, you should go back to sleep, it is before dawn after all," Logan teased and kissed her temple.

"Nah uh, I'm going to open it now," she announced. Climbing out of bed and picking up the tiny green wrapped, black ribbon tied package, before seating herself on Logan's lap as she set about opening his gift.

The green wrapping turned out to be a super soft, thin, forest green silk scarf. "It's beautiful!" Marie replied, looping it around her neck, before turning to peck him on the lips. Back to the rest of the gift, she now held a little silver paper wrapped cube, quickly tearing off the paper she froze when she saw the black velvet ring box now in her hand. Turning to Logan, wide eyed and shocked, she noted the nervous smile he was watching her closely with.

Cracking the box open slowly she gasped when she saw the ring inside, a delicate filigree band, designed to look like vines, with tiny diamond chips where the flowers should be. "It's beautiful," Marie repeated, smiling at Logan, he just nodded back to the gift. A slip of paper was rolled inside the ring, sliding it out Marie unfurled the paper...

'Will you marry me?
No = Shut the box.
Yes = Put the ring on.'

Laughing happily Marie gently popped the ring out of the little ring box and slipped it onto her ring finger. It was a tiny bit big but not enough to warrant resizing, once her gloves were on, she wouldn't notice. "So, is this a birthday present or a proposal?" Marie asked curiously.

"The scarf was your birthday present, I thought it would be a cute way to 'propose', I know it's probably a little premature, I mean, it's only your sixteenth birthday after all, we can't even legally get married for at least two years but one day I would like that, just wanted you to know that," Logan replied, brushing a lock of sleep tousled hair behind her ear.

"I would like that too, one day, like, the day of my eighteenth birthday?" Marie suggested.

"There's no need to rush, I want you to be sure, because once I marry you, I'm never letting go of you," Logan growled in her ear, pulling her close to him so he could drop a kiss on her shoulder. Marie giggled as she cuddled closer to him, kissing him back when he moved away. Eventually breaking away for breath Logan added again, "You should go back to sleep for a while, you got about two hours before breakfast."

"Oh, goody, two hours!" Marie exclaimed, jumping up and rushing to the door, a muted click sounded as she turned the lock.

"Marie, what are you doing?" Logan jumped to his feet, eyeing her suspiciously.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" she asked coyly, as she pulled her nightie over her head.

Logan watched her body quickly come into full view, and whined unconsciously as he clenched his fists at his side to stop himself from touching. They had been sneaking touches, and full-blown sex, regularly over the last couple of months but sneaking away to the woods was a far cry from doing it in the mansion, surrounded by their teachers. "We can't Marie, anyone could come by, people are going to be up soon, if dad comes by..."

"It's my birthday and this is my present to me, are you really going to say no?" Marie asked, giving him a once over, eyes pausing on his groin before she grinned back at him.

With a groan, Logan gave in, moving past her he grabbed a towel from the bathroom, rolled it, and packed it up against the bottom of the bedroom door, before leaping over to the window and throwing it wide open. "We have to be quiet," he murmured, as he moved back to her and pulled her into his arms, “And when I say ‘we’ I mean you,” he added, before her began to kiss her, drawing a soft moan out of her.

An hour later Logan slipped out of her room unseen, leaving Marie to sleep some more as he shot down to the gym. He decided to shower there so he didn't risk taking any telling scents back to his own bathroom. Twenty minutes later he was headed back to the kitchen, he panicked momentarily when he ran into none other than his own dad on his way upstairs.

"You're up early," Victor commented, "Want to spar for a while?"

"Uh, not today," Logan replied, continuing when Victor looked at him disbelievingly, "Don't tell anyone, it's Marie's birthday, she doesn't want a fuss made about it but I'm gonna make her breakfast."

Victor shook his head with a chuckle. "Good on you, off you go then, have fun." With that they continued in their opposite directions. Logan waited until he was around the corner before he breathed a sigh of relief at not getting caught, that was way too close... but totally worth it.

When he got to the kitchen, he set about cooking up a feast of waffles, topped with maple sugar, chocolate chip cookie dough ice-cream, whipped cream, and winter strawberries. He got to Marie's room, just as she was coming out of the bathroom, fully dressed and ready for her day.

"Aww, you shouldn't have," Marie said, with a beaming smile when she saw the sugar laden meal. She invited him to stay and they sat on Marie's freshly made bed while they ate from the same plate, and discussed the upcoming classes for the day, quizzing each other for a test later in the day.

"You two done yet, your classes start in about three minutes," Victor called to them, as he walked past and spotted them still lounging on the bed through the wide-open door. With an 'oops', they both leaped up and ran for the stairs, leaving their dishes for later. "And happy birthday Marie," Victor added, catching the grin she threw back at him, even as she rolled her eyes and ribbed Logan for 'telling'.

--

That weekend there was a function at the school, they weren't uncommon, often fundraisers to raise money for the school. It wasn't until five pm on the day of the function that Marie's parents arrived and it was revealed, that days function was a 'birthday party' for Marie's 'sweet sixteen'.

Logan saw the uncomfortable look Marie gave, as her mother hugged her as she gushed over her 'extra special birthday' - so special they hadn't even bothered to so much as call her on the day! They had even brought with them the dress Marie was to wear that night, no discussion, no 'do you like it', just a 'here put it on'.

"Well, at least it's a nice dress," Logan offered encouragingly, when she stood in front of her dressing table trying to do her hair, while he lay on her bed. A moment later he got up and walked over to her, pulling her into his chest as she began to sob. "Hey, no need for that," he said softly, "You'll mess up your make up, end up looking like a raccoon, admittedly it would be a super cute raccoon but still," he teased, drawing a chuckle out of Marie as she dabbed away her tears.

"How can they just turn up and act like it's so special, like they actually give a shit, when they couldn't even call, you watch, there'll be a shit ton of high ranking senators and rich fucks, and they'll have some flashy present, that they'll probably take home with them, and I'm just expected to stand there and smile and pretend like everything's okay..." she sniffled again.

"Yeah, probably... you can't pick your family, that's just luck of the draw, but your friends, them you can pick, don't take this the wrong way, but your parents will be gone tomorrow - maybe tonight if you're really lucky - and then you can go back to people who really care about you, people you picked, and people who picked you right back," he murmured in her ear, as he held her.

"Thanks Logan, you always make me feel better," she replied with a smile, pulling away suddenly when she heard her mother’s voice and footsteps as she approached Marie's bedroom. By the time Raven got to the doorway, Logan was sitting on the bed again as Marie resumed putting up her hair.

"Logan, so nice to see you again, would you excuse us, mother-daughter time is hard to come by when your daughter is away for school," she said, with a smile and nod toward the door.

Pausing to glance at Marie, he stood to leave when she smiled softly at him in the mirror and nodded for him to go. "I'll see you downstairs," he said to Marie, nodding politely to Raven as he left the room, closing the door softly behind him.

"I thought I told you to pick some better friends," Raven scoffed, as she walked over to Marie, collecting up her comb and hair pins as she set about arranging Marie's hair.

On her way out of the room, half an hour later, once her hair and make-up were tidied up to her mother’s liking, Marie grabbed the forest green scarf that Logan had given her. The neckline of the dress, while no doubt attractive, was making her feel just a little self-conscious after having been covered up for so long, thankfully it matched nicely with the silver dress and gloves she was wearing.

"That's a pretty scarf, what store did it come from?" Raven asked, as she carefully removed it from around Marie's neck before retying it in a complicated decorative knot.

"Um, I don't know, it was a birthday present, I can ask the person who gave it to me when we get downstairs," Marie replied with a shrug, trying to be polite, it was hard to do that when your mother was a veritable stranger.

"Oh, who did it come from?" she asked curiously.

"Uh, I think it was from Logan," Marie replied, making out she wasn't certain, she had a feeling her mother would object if she knew that for certain.

"Oh... are you sure you want to be wearing department store... product..." her mother chuckled, "I'm sure you've got something nicer in here."

"No, this, I'm going downstairs now," Marie smiled tightly, turning and walking out of the room before more could be said.

"Well, alright, I suppose you have to be nice to him given you have to live with him day in day out, if he gets too annoying though just talk to your uncle," Raven replied, with a tolerant chuckle, as she followed her down the stairs.

--

Logan looked up when he heard footsteps on the stairs. Marie was walking down toward him looking like an angel, the silver dress shimmered in the light. The short cap sleeves leaving an inch-wide expanse of 'deadly' skin, before the matching gloves began to run down her arms. Her hair was piled on her head to cascade down her back in a wave of red-brown ringlets, with the scarf he had given her only days before, contrasting nicely between the hair and dress, tastefully arranged around her neck and down her chest.

She smiled at him as she passed but he didn't approach when her mother stepped off the stairs right behind her and took her hand, leading her into the function room, pointedly ignoring Logan. He waited outside the room, it was a little loud for him just now as the party was getting started, it should quieten down soon. Also, the only reason he was here was to support Marie but for now she was being ferried around the room, to be shown off like a designer outfit. She seemed to be handling it a bit better for now, smiling politely and thanking people for their well wishes, as she was carted around the room.

After what seemed like hours Marie was finally released to mingle of her own free will, she immediately made her way over to Logan, who handed her a drink; nothing strong enough to make up for the atmosphere, the students weren't allowed the champagne the adults were knocking back, even the birthday girl. After a time, Victor moved over to stand beside them, he was security tonight, rather than a regular guest.

"I know neither of you want to be here but your mom's going to get pretty pissed if you just hide in a corner all night, go stand somewhere else for a while, and try talking,” he suggested with almost a chuckle.

With a laugh both teens reluctantly made their way to a new area of the room, there was a certain spot in the room that seemed to have a regular supply of food circulating, that would be as good a place as any to stand. They were still there twenty minutes later, chatting with another guest, a teen a little older than themselves, when Marie's parents, and another older gentleman, made their way over.

"Warren, it's so lovely to see you, I'm glad you could make it," Raven greeted the guest, "Your father was just telling us how you've been accepted into Wharton, that must be so exciting for you." The adults chatted with Warren for a time, while Logan and Marie just stood there awkwardly, Marie was occasionally drawn into the conversation, to nod politely in agreement with whatever had been asked of her. Her mother adding in details of college’s Marie was 'hoping to attend', for majors of her mother’s choosing, as if Marie herself had already decided.

"And how about you, my boy," the older gentleman, Warren's father, also named Warren, asked of Logan. "I hear you are being pursued by Xavier to follow in your father's footsteps, will you be attending college beforehand or do you intend to jump straight into 'saving the world'?" he asked, apparently amused at the notion.

"Neither, much to Professor Xavier's annoyance, I haven't made any final decisions yet but I'm probably going to go for a trade qualification through an apprenticeship, the idea of college doesn't interest me and I'm not really interested in playing hero," Logan replied, noting the scornful look Marie's mother pulled, though she tried to hide it behind her champagne glass.

"Well that is a shame, you have a lot of potential, though I suppose you are young, plenty of time yet to change your mind," Warren Senior responded.

"How old are you now Master Creed?" Eric asked with a frown, "You must be graduating shortly surely?"

"I'm seventeen, I'll be graduating next year," Logan replied.

"And which trade would you try your hand at?" Eric asked, appearing genuinely interested.

"Probably mechanics," Logan answered, "I've always enjoyed pulling apart engines."

"Ah yes, the old adage, 'do what you love and you'll never need work a day', that is fair enough, and where would any of us be without someone to keep our vehicles in running order," Eric chuckled, "The world would be in a sorry state indeed if we were all politicians and lawyers."

Raven seemed to take issue at something her husband said, an irritated scowl darkening her features momentarily, as the conversation continued around her, before Worthington Senior excused himself to a fresh conversation. She took the opportunity of the break in dialogue to comment to Marie about her attire.

"Darling I'm still not convinced that scarf matches your outfit, why don't you take it off so we can see how it looks without-" she hadn't missed the way Warren Junior's eyes kept flicking to Marie's ample chest, despite her cleavage being hidden from view. The girl was sixteen now, it was time to start securing a partnership for her, Warren Worthington the third would make a good match. So would Robert Drake have, however it seemed Logan Creed had spoiled any possibility of that match ever working. "It is pretty though, did you find out where it came from?"

"Oh, I forgot to ask, where did you get the scarf from Logan?" Marie asked, using the question as a distraction to avoid responding to the suggestion she remove the article. She had seen Warren's eyes glancing toward her cleavage several times and had no desire to give the boy any more to ogle.

"I got it online, from Japan, it's Ro Silk, handmade and hand painted, I don't think the maker has a brand, she makes them as a hobby, each one is unique, I saw that one and thought Marie would like it," Logan answered with a shrug. He was just a little smug at seeing the surprised look on Mrs Lehnsherr's face, she clearly hadn't been expecting that response.

"Well, it is lovely," Raven repeated.

Before more could be said their group was interrupted, by yet another senator who wanted to take the opportunity to speak with Marie's father, the two teens taking the opportunity to slip away. An hour later a birthday cake was produced, and Marie was again hauled front and centre to be fawned over, until cake had been cut and she was able to slip away again while it was being served. She was handed the first piece of cake, which she accepted politely but promptly handed on as soon as she was out of the spotlight. At Logan's curious look she informed him, she didn't like that flavour cake.

"So, what flavour cake do you like?" Logan asked curiously, hoping to gather a tidbit of information to file away for her next birthday or other special occasion.

"Raspberry Chocolate cake, or Black Forest Gateau," Marie replied confidently. It really shouldn't but it did surprise Logan that her parents didn't know that, given she had so clearly made up her mind.

A short time later it was time for Marie's gift, the guests had been instructed not to bring gifts, so the only present was one from Marie's own parents, a brand new white Chevrolet Camaro, because she would be getting her license shortly of course, and a more practical but less flashy car just would not do. Though Marie had to admit that, aside from the colour, she did love it.

The party continued, with most of her fellow students who had opted to join in being sent to bed as curfew approached. Marie was allowed to remain up, as she was the birthday girl, and Logan too, as he was under the supervision of his father. However, as the 'party' devolved into a political debate the two discretely slipped away, unnoticed, heading for their new favourite indoor hiding spot, the west attic; the gentle snow falling outside precluded the outdoors as an option for hiding.

They had kit out their attic with a mattress, blankets, an old TV they had found tucked in a dusty corner, and a substantial supply of condoms, just in case, you know... It seemed the condoms were what Marie wanted to utilise tonight, as they made love late into the night. The fact that one broke while in use, was a barely acknowledged fact, both just shrugging off substandard materials before swapping it out for a fresh rubber. When they snuck back down to their rooms, in the wee hours of the morning, the 'party' still in progress on the ground floor, Logan softly kissed her good night before they both retired to shower and sleep.

As Marie stood under the warm spray of her shower, body still humming from Logan's extra special 'birthday' attentions, she lamented, not for the first time, having to 'wash him away' so soon after they were together. She knew he was right that his dad would catch them if he could scent them, and that in and of itself was an icky thought, but she couldn't help the feeling like she was somehow denying him, and what she felt for him, and with him, by doing it. When she stripped off her gloves, her last article of clothing before pulling on her nightie, she couldn't help but pause and admire the ring that now rested secretly on her finger. Another secret, another way in which she had to deny what she and Logan shared. Sometimes life really sucked, she decided.