"I got the information, yes, I also got a detailed ‘what if’ scenario of what would happen if the Brotherhood got their hands on that information. I told Magneto I didn't get it, that Wolverine either was being honest when he said he didn't know, or was really good at hiding the information and I hadn't been able to get deep enough to find where he was hiding it. Sabretooth tried to call me on that lie but I managed to turn the situation around to make it look like he was the one who was hiding things or trying to double cross the Brotherhood," Rogue answered, she was rather proud of herself for that feat.

"How did you do that?" Logan asked curiously.

"He was the only one who knew which of the secret lairs I had you at, because he had to get you there - you're heavy as fuck you know that-" she grinned at him cheekily- "So, I just forgot to mention the possibility you were wearing a tracker, and hypothesized about how Xavier might have tracked us down when he can't track either of us, Magneto bought it, believed me over Sabretooth, who proceeded to make my life a living hell after that because he knew damn well I'd lied."

"What happened after that?" the Professor pressed for more information.

"I had a pretty hard time getting my head back together after absorbing so much of Logan, I got his nightmares... when I found out I was pregnant it gave me the reason I needed to try and get away; I didn't want them to get my baby. I left a note to say I needed to get my head in order and left, I thought I'd done a pretty decent job of covering my tracks but Mystique found me, somehow, by then I was almost at the end of the pregnancy, I couldn't run... She told me to stay in hiding, she'd come back when the baby was born, they planned to use him as bait to try and coax Logan to their side, I couldn't let that happen. James was born several weeks early, once I got my strength back, I hightailed it out of there before Mystique could get back... I left him here and ran, as far and as fast as I could hoping they wouldn't figure out what I had done. They still hadn't figured it out by the time you guys chased them off," she finished with a smile, as she stroked her sleeping baby's face.

"You realize he killed you?" Logan queried.

"Yep, I goaded him into it, if I was dead, they couldn't keep torturing me for an answer, it would keep him safe," she explained, not taking her eyes off her child. She was surprised when Logan took another step toward her before wrapping her in his arms.

"He's safe now, and so are you," he murmured into her hair, which he used a moment later to nudge her chin so she was looking up at him. "You're not alone sweetheart, we can protect him together." She closed her eyes as she returned his hug, burying her face in his chest so no one could see her cry.

--

Both Logan and Rogue spent the next few days in the med bay with James, until Jean was satisfied he was strong enough to return to regular life. There was no point keeping him there any longer for monitoring, as Rogue insisted he spend as much time as possible skin-to-skin with one of his parents, which threw off the heart monitor readings. He definitely did seem to prefer that contact, to being in the incubator under the heat lamp though. Her heart had melted just a little when she had come into the room one morning to find Logan, in the armchair she had had brought down, Rogue asleep in his lap, her head resting on Logan's chest, as James slept soundly against her chest, both of his parents resting a protective hand on his tiny naked back.

--

"This is it sweetheart," Logan commented, as he opened the door to his room and ushered her and her precious cargo inside.

Rogue looked around curiously, the room was tidy but largely unadorned, aside from a few books there was nothing of personal note in the room, she supposed though that made sense with how private she knew he was. There was a huge bed, a TV on top of a dresser, a couch, mini fridge, and a crib tucked into the corner farthest from the window. She smiled softly, Logan hadn't dumped the baby on someone else but had actually taken it on himself to care for their child, that thought made her happy.

Placing a soft kiss on the sleeping baby's head she lay him down in the crib, tucking him in and just watching him sleep for a while. She dashed away a tear before she turned back to Logan.

"So... where's my room?" she asked uncertainly.

"Here," Logan replied with a shrug, "Make yourself at home, there's some clothes in the wardrobe and the second drawer of the dresser for you, you can get some more later but Ro grabbed the basics for you for now. And the bathroom's through there, if you want to have a shower or something there should be some shampoo and stuff in there, anything else you need let me know."

"But- but this is your room," she replied, confused, after pausing for thought.

"Now it's our room, all of us," he smiled down at the sleeping baby before adding, "Think I'm going to have to ask Chuck for an upgrade though, little guy's going to need his own room before too long."

"But why would you want me- hell why would you even want me in the same building, let alone the same room!?" she asked incredulously.

"Why not?" Logan returned, "Besides, last time you and I were in a room together, alone, we ended up having all kinds of fun," he growled, as he slid an arm around her waist, tugging her back against him.

"Yeah, sure, being chained to the floor and having the life sucked out of you, while being raped, is so much fun," she commented bitterly, as she shrugged off his arms.

"You don't hear me complaining, do you?" Logan replied with a chuckle. “Seriously, I don't blame you, I know why you did it, all the reasons why, it's not easy finding someone who will accept you, all of you, even the parts that might accidentally kill them, would you have still wanted me if these had been a factor?" he asked, sliding a handful of lethal looking blades out of one fist.

Rogue was surprised to find that not the slightest thrill of fear shuddered through her, as Logan used the blunt side of the wicked looking blade, to brush a lock of hair over her shoulder before sliding it away again.

"You wouldn't hurt me," she replied, "But I hurt you, I used my power to hurt you."

"You did what you had to do sweetheart, I'm the last person on earth who will begrudge someone doing horrible things to survive, hell, you've seen inside my head, you know some of what I've done through the years, to survive, in the name of work, sometimes even just for fun, I will never hold what happened against you, especially not when it got you away from the Brotherhood, and it got us him," he replied, whispering the last part into her ear from where his chin had come to rest on her shoulder, as they both watched the little chest rise and fall as their son slumbered.

"So, what do you say, shall we give this a shot, see how badly we suck at being parents, if we're lucky we won't fuck this up entirely, and if you're lucky, or ask nicely, I'll show you what would have happened if I hadn't been chained to that floor," he finished with another growl, as he placed a kiss on her shoulder.

Rogue watched in open mouthed shock as Logan stalked silently across the room, grabbed himself a beer out of the small beer fridge by the TV, before sprawling on the couch. He was watching her with a grin before he nodded to the bathroom. "Go get a shower then get some sleep, you look wiped," he said gently.

With a final smile and a nod, she moved into the bathroom, peeling off the school issue tracksuit she'd been wearing for days before she stepped into the flow of warm water. She eyed the bath longingly but she really was tired, the last thing she wanted to do now was accidentally drown herself. She exited the bathroom twenty minutes later, wrapped in a towel, and went looking for clothes. There was a long-sleeved nightie laid out on the bed obviously waiting for her, Logan however was gone. With a shrug she pulled the nightgown on, before depositing her towel back in the bathroom. She crawled into bed with a yawn and quickly fell asleep, listening to the soft snores of her sleeping child across the room.