"Has it stopped snowing yet!" Marie groaned from the couch.

"Nope," Logan replied, not even bothering to look up, “Even if it had I wouldn't be letting you outside yet, you just got over the flu three days ago."

"I can't believe it's been snowing for eight days - I am so bored!" Marie complained again dramatically.

"Read one of those books you bought," Logan suggested.

"I've read all four of them," Marie stated sullenly.

"Do some baking then," Logan tried again.

"We've already got peanut butter brownies, chocolate cake, lemon tarts, and a pumpkin pie," Marie listed off the tasty treats she'd already made.

"Then eat some of them," Logan chuckled.

"I can't do that!" Marie cried, "I'll get fat."

"So why did you make them?" Logan asked, shaking his head in amusement.

"Because I had nothing better to do," Marie replied laughing.

Logan gave the tv another whack, just for the hell of it. "Well, we aren't watching tv any time soon," he stated, finally admitting defeat.

"I just want the snow to stop so I can go outside," Marie whined, jumping to try and peek over the top of the snow drift piled up against the window, the snow was now deeper than she was tall.

"Be careful what you wish for darlin, once the snow's stopped we've got to dig out before we can do anything else," Logan reminded her as he sat down on the couch in front of the fire with a beer in hand.

"So? What else is there to do?" Marie pointed out, swinging herself over the back of the couch to sit beside him, resting her head on his shoulder with a sigh.

Logan threw his arm across the back of the couch causing her to cuddle closer to him. "Well, you could just sit here and enjoy the fact we're warm and not stuck out there in this," he commented.

"That just makes me sleepy," she admitted, "Though I guess there are worse places to sleep."

They chatted for a while longer until Logan felt Marie relax against him. Sure enough, she was asleep. Shifting position slightly so they were both lying on the couch Logan couldn't help but agree with her earlier statement, there were definitely worse places to sleep.

When he woke up some hours later Marie was sprawled on top of him, one leg thrown over one of his, head resting on his chest. The fire was dying down and his stomach was empty but he couldn't bring himself to move, it didn't help she was moving gently against him in her sleep.

After her random comment three days earlier, he had been having an even harder time than usual keeping images of a naked Marie out of his head. He might have had an easier time of it if she didn't keep making innuendoed comments, seemingly without thinking about it, some of them she caught herself saying and alternated between grinning cheekily or blushing at. Of course, she might have been more inclined to stop if he didn't join in and respond with his own risqué comments.

Marie sighed in her sleep, unconsciously rocking against him and moaning slightly, if he hadn't already been hard that would have done it for him. He really should wake her up, he shouldn't just lie here and let her rub herself all over him, while the scent of her arousal grew. She rolled her hips against him again, this time when she moaned it was his name. Fuck.

He rolled out from underneath her, leaving her lying on the couch and went to top up the fire. The snow had better stop soon, he needed to dig out more firewood. Moving to the kitchen he set about making something for the two of them to eat. When Marie didn't show any signs of waking up from her clearly enjoyable dream, he took matters into his own hands, banging things around harder than was strictly necessary hoping the noise would rouse her. It wasn't until she was awake, and walking into the kitchen, that he suddenly realised he hadn't thought that plan through very well. Sure, she wasn't moaning anymore but she still smelled aroused, and he was still hard. If she noticed though she didn't mention it.

After dinner they moved back to bask in front of the fire, on different couches this time, when a thought suddenly occurred to him.

"Hey Marie," he started.

"Mmhmm," she replied, sounding sleepy again.

"... It's almost Christmas," he said.

"Thanksgiving first," she added.

"Oh, sorry, you missed thanksgiving, in Canada that's in October," he commented.

"Damn," she answered with a giggle, "So, what do you usually do for Christmas?"

"Me, nothing. What about you, what did your family do for Christmas?" he asked.

Marie shrugged. "Just the usual, too much food, lots of people, ugly sweaters, and I was an only child and grandchild so I got pretty spoiled in the present department most years," she smiled, like she was remembering something sweet.

"Is this your first Christmas away from home?" he queried, they hadn't talked much about her time on the road but suddenly it felt like it was important.

"Yeah," she replied softly, "I left Mississippi in February."

"How old were you?" Logan queried.

"Fifteen," she said, "Had my first birthday away a couple of months later, April, April tenth. Mama and me had already planned out my 'sweet sixteen' party and everything... I ended up spending that day somewhere in, Colorado, I think." They sat in silence for a while before Marie took a deep shuddering breath, and wiped away the few tears that had snuck past her lashes. "What about you?" she asked, "How old are you?"

"You want my actual age or the one on my ID?" Logan asked, at Marie's query of 'they're different?' he shifted uncomfortably and replied, "I'm not completely certain how old I am, but I remember the US Civil War, actually fighting in it, I think I was at least forty then, so, I'm somewhere not far off two hundred."

"... Wow," Marie commented in stunned awe after a while, "I was not expecting that... How come you don't remember how old you are?"

Logan sighed warily. "It's something to do with the metal, whenever that happened, either as a side effect, or maybe it was a separate incident, but my memories were all screwy when I 'woke up' after that, initially I didn't remember anything, not even my name, over time some stuff has come back."

"How long ago was the metal incident?" Marie asked quietly but curiously.

"About twenty, twenty-one years ago, I'm not sure exactly when I got out, for a while after I escaped, I lived in the forest like an animal not knowing who I was, what I was. After a while I came across civilisation, started watching people, realised I was one of them and started imitating them until I got the hang of being human and could function in society," he told her.

"Have you ever managed to find out anything about what happened, who did it?" Marie asked.

"I found the place I escaped from but by the time I got there nothing was left but my claw marks in the concrete walls. Don't really care all that much to be honest, so long as they leave me alone now, if they don't on the other hand... going to introduce them to their creation," Logan growled menacingly, and popped the claws for effect.

Marie just giggled. "I'd almost feel sorry for them walking into that confrontation, almost, not quite though, it's a bit hard to feel sorry for people who would put someone else through that kind of torture."

Logan just grunted his agreement as he studied the claws, not for first time, in the flickering firelight.

--

Marie woke up slowly, she was floating in heavenly warmth, surrounded by softness. She opened her eyes and laughed to herself, this bed was like magic, she would fall asleep somewhere else and wake up here. Logan must have carried her in after she fell asleep on the couch.

Climbing slowly out of bed and pulling on an extra jersey, over the same clothes she had worn the day before, she wandered to the bathroom, and then out to the kitchen. She couldn't decide if she was going to start her day with a hot chocolate, or a coffee.

She stepped into the living room just in time to see Logan flick a lighter in the kitchen. Walking closer, looking confused, she tried to make sense of the sight in front of her. Her breakfast was made, a huge mug of hot chocolate topped with a generous pile of marshmallows, and a chocolate cake covered in candles were sitting on the counter waiting for her.

"Happy belated birthday, darlin," Logan said with a grin. When she just stood there with her mouth hanging open, he prompted her further, "Quick blow the candles out, before we wax the cake, and don't forget to make a wish."

With tears in her eyes Marie threw her arms around his neck. "Thank you," she whispered in his ear, before she released him and turned to the cake to blow out the rapidly disappearing candles, she had to pause for a moment while she thought of a wish.

By the time they were finished eating Marie was stuffed, she collapsed onto the couch with a groan. "That is the best birthday ever, even if it was seven months late, it was worth the wait," she smiled up at Logan where he stood behind her, leaning over the back of the couch.

"I've got a present for you too," he said suddenly.

"Really?" she asked curiously, raising her eyebrows excitedly, that was most movement he would be getting from her for at least two hours.

"Yep, it's stopped snowing," Logan grinned.

"Oh of course," Marie groused, "It waits until I'm too full to move."

"That's alright, it shouldn't snow again for a while so don't rush, I'll go get the shovels from downstairs so we can actually get out the door," Logan said, moving across the room.

Marie sat upright. "This place has a downstairs?!"

"Yeah," Logan replied, "You didn't wonder what was behind this door?" he asked sounding amused.

"Uh, I figured it was a cupboard," she admitted.

"Nope, basement, you should check it out sometime," he called back to her, as he made his way down the stairs. He returned a few minutes later with a pair of shovels and opened the front door.

"Oh my gosh!" Marie exclaimed, when the door opened to reveal a solid wall of snow.

"This is going to be fun," Logan said sarcastically, "You sure you want to go outside?"

"Yes!" she replied, making no further effort to get off the couch. "How long until you have that dug out for me?" she asked cheekily.

"You're lucky it's your birthday or you'd be helping kid," Logan told her, "I'll let you know when I know, depends how much further the snow keeps going up."

An hour later Logan was still working on clearing snow from around the door and the woodpile right outside it, he was working on forming stairs in the snow so they could climb up to the surface. "You know, it would be easier to jump out the upstairs window," he said to Marie, as she wandered up behind him.

"Are you sure I can't help?" she asked, watching as he pitched a shovel full of snow up over the edge of the hole he had made above him, where clear blue sky could now be seen.

"Nah kid, we'd just get in each other’s way," he said as he continued working, "Besides, it'll be done in another half hour or so."