Marie stretched sleepily under a heavy pile of the softest, warmest blankets she had ever had the honour of sleeping under. Suddenly wide awake she bolted upright; she hadn’t fallen asleep in a bed. A thick pile of furs fell away from her body and she discovered she was still dressed in yesterday’s clothes, and now sitting in a massive bed in a rustic looking bedroom. Where the heck *was* she!?

Pulling herself out of bed she moved toward the window, wherever they were it had a gorgeous view, though for now the hillside and all the trees were dusted with a decent layer of snow, heavy clouds hung low promising more snow before too long.

Heading in the other direction, towards the only door in the room, she wandered out into a short hallway, there was a second bedroom and a bathroom opening off the hall, and in the other direction she could see a living room, which she made her way towards. Stepping into the room she was met with a view of a comfortable living room, a fire crackling in the large open fireplace to her left, a dining area on the right, and through to a kitchen where Logan was cooking breakfast.

"Morning sleepyhead," he called blindly, turning around with a grin. "Coffee?"

She didn't reply until she had downed half the cup. "Where are we?" she finally asked, sounding confused.

"My cabin," Logan replied, "We got in just before three this morning, couldn't see the point going on to town and paying for a room for the rest of the morning so I stopped here. We do have to go in shortly though, so eat up," he continued, placing a piled high plate of sausages, bacon, eggs, and some sort of potato laden hash in front of her.

She tucked in eagerly. Both were quiet for a while, Logan was deep in thought but Marie was looking around curiously, taking in all the details of the room around her. It was bigger than she was expecting but had a definite rustic edge that suited Logan. The ceiling was vaulted, which made the space look even bigger, she could spy a large open loft room bedroom upstairs. In the other direction, almost the whole end wall of the cabin was floor to ceiling windows, with an amazing view across an open field and further, to the forest and out across the valley before them.

"So," Logan spoke all of a sudden recapturing her attention, "This storm is going to close the roads for a while, at least one week, if not two, which means, if I drop you in Whitehorse, you're not going anywhere, for quite a while, I have to go into town to stock up on supplies, so I am happy to take you down if you want me to, or, you could stay here... until spring... and then I can take you on to Alaska, probably sometime around March, maybe April." Logan hesitated, watching her closely to gauge her reaction to his suggestion.

"I don't want to get in the way, or inconvenience you..." Marie started.

"You wouldn't be, I wouldn't have offered otherwise," Logan stated firmly.

"Well, then, so long as you're sure... I'd really like to stay," she said with a smile. "To be honest, the idea of going anywhere without you is not tempting in the least,” she admitted bluntly, "Guess I've kind of got attached to you."

"Same here kid," Logan replied, with a genuine smile, "Same here." He had a feeling they had just agreed to a little bit more than sharing a living space for the winter, he couldn't say he minded the idea in the least. "Well, better rug up darlin, we’ve got to get to town soon so we can get back before the snow hits, we've probably got a two hour window before that happens," Logan said a moment later, clearing away the breakfast dishes hurriedly.

--

Forty-five minutes later they were in town pulling up in front of a grocery store. Making their way around the store Logan methodically picked out his necessities, telling Marie to grab whatever she wanted or needed, at least four months’ worth of it. He chuckled when they got to the candy aisle, and she pointed up to the top shelf, at an outer box of M&M's, and asked him to get it down for her.

"I don't know kid - you think four kilos of M&M's is going to be enough?" he teased.

"No," she replied, deadly serious, "But more than that is probably going to get me looked at funny."

She also added marshmallows, cocoa, sugar, and several other spices to the cart. "What sort of dry goods do you have already at the cabin?" she asked suddenly.

"I don't do a lot of baking darlin," he replied, "There'll be a bit of flour, maybe some sugar," he said, as he loaded several large tins of coffee into the cart.

Marie proceeded to commandeer the cart and began loading dry goods. A few aisles over she added a variety of canned fruit. She also searched out powdered eggs, and powdered milk, lamenting that the fresh variety wouldn't last the winter but she would just make do.

They were heading for the checkouts when Logan suddenly stopped. Turning to him curiously when she realised, Marie regarded him questioningly.

"You forgetting anything darlin?" he asked in amusement.

She frowned as she racked her brain trying again to think of everything she would need for the next few months, after a moment Logan took pity on her and nodded toward the aisle he had stopped at. Glancing down the aisle Marie spotted the feminine hygiene products she would definitely need, and shampoo and conditioner too, she would grab some shower gel as well...

She walked into the aisle, noting Logan didn't follow her, opting instead to stay where he was and wait. "What's wrong Logan, not manly enough in there for you?" she teased, as she threw her necessities into the cart.

"You'd like to think that wouldn't you," Logan joshed, "No, there's too many different scents down there, just walking past is an instant headache, no way in hell am I going any closer. I avoid the laundry aisle for the same reason," he added.

"Huh, I never thought of that," Marie replied considerately, "If that's the case, how do I say this without sounding weird, you want to check my shampoo and stuff to make sure it smells okay? Wouldn't want to stink you out of your own house if you couldn't stand it."

"It should be fine, what scent is it?" he asked.

“Almond, apparently," Marie replied, holding the bottle out to him, "And the body wash is orange & almond."

"That's not bad," Logan replied, handing the bottle back to her.

As they continued toward the checkouts a thought occurred to Marie. "How do you stand those disgusting smelly bars?" she asked curiously, "And those cigars you love so much."

"Natural scents are easier to process and ignore, and it just so happens I like the cigars," he replied honestly, chuckling at her exaggerated look of disgust.

By the time they had loaded their groceries into the truck it had started to snow. The snow was falling so thickly by the time they got back to the cabin that Logan almost missed his own driveway. They quickly ferried all the supplies into the house, and he left Marie to pack everything away while he got the fire roaring again, moved the truck, and brought in enough wood to feed the fire for the next couple of weeks. After that, he relaxed on the couch, watching Marie with a grin as she switched tasks from attacking away groceries, to baking cookies, chattering happily the whole time.

Logan couldn't help the feeling of contentment that settled over him, he usually felt comfortable up here but this new feeling was making him feel like the previous years spent here had been incomplete.