Rogue looked at herself in the mirror. It had been a terrible mistake, but she couldn’t find the strength to regret it. Letting the Wolverine into her place and letting him bed her. It was the worst possible outcome to this scenario.

Three years since she’d last seen him and despite everything, he still had the same effect on her. He didn’t have to say anything to her; she was all too willing. That look, the same one from the cab of his pickup when he first helped her, and the concern in his eyes gave her a false sense of security. 

Then there was the sex. Or maybe she should call it lovemaking. It was so far from his rough memories of sex she’d inherited all those years ago. This had been soft almost as if he knew her, loved her. 

She wanted to scoff at that idea. He was here for one reason and one reason only. It didn’t matter what they did until then, even if she imagined him saying he loved her as she fell asleep.

God, what was she doing to herself? She’d fixed him a meal hoping to handle the situation with grace and maybe even gain a measure of mercy. What she hadn’t expected was to enjoy the evening. She needed to get a grip before this spun out of control.

Stepping into the shower, she stood under the blast of water. She needed to focus, get her mind set right. Washing her hair was a good way of scrubbing some sense into her brain.

Don’t know or don’t care.

Pick one.


Rogue had picked, but not one of the choices she’d been given. She’d decided to trust him and paid with her life twice, and even now she didn’t know why he saved her. That was a lie, she knew the reason, she just didn’t understand it. There was no black and white where the Wolverine was concerned. Like yesterday evening, his reasons for having sex with her first were his and his alone. 

The door to the shower stall opened with a click and a rush of cool air. So this was it. This was his plan; not her first choice, but the shower was the logical place for the purpose. 

Deep down, she needed to face him. The same need drove her to fix him supper, then have sex. Turning around, she looked him in the eye, expecting to find the hardened Wolverine behind her. 
Instead, she found Logan. The same man that came to her house yesterday. There was something hardened about him to be sure, and she had to keep herself from licking her lips at the sight of it standing out from his body. 

Heaven help her, she wanted what he was offering. However; she didn’t think the stall was the right place, it barely held her as it was. Involuntarily, she took a half step back to bump into the wall. 

Rogue placed a hand on his chest, not to ward him off, but to give herself a moment to think. His chest hair had intrigued her yesterday by how it wasn’t as coarse as she expected it to be, and now the water was making strange patterns in it. This was not the kind of thinking she should be doing, but couldn’t stop as she followed the natural flow of water lower down his abdomen. 

Pausing a second, she thought about what a stupid idea this was to go any further. She caught her breath when she glanced back up to his eyes. This wasn’t just about sex. Sure, there was plenty of heat and desire, but there was something else there too. The closest she could come was that he cared, maybe even loved her. She mentally shook herself. That was crazy talk.

“Marie,” he breathed, filling up what little space was between them.
Fuck, he wasn’t supposed to remember her name. She’d convinced herself some time ago he hadn’t cared when she’d made that confession. And here he was saying it like it was a benediction to God himself. 

Letting her hand drifted lower, she wrapped it around his hard length. A low, needy growl rumbled through his chest and sent a thrill up her spine. If she could just…. But the time for thinking was over as his mouth descended on hers. 

He was a little more demanding with his kiss than the other evening, yet it was still soft, inquisitive. Rogue tried to stroke him, but it was impossible to keep a steady rhythm in the limited space. Really all she wanted was him inside her making her come. 

As if understanding her thoughts, he lifted her, pressing her into the wall with his hips. He supported her with an arm around the waist and slicked himself on her wetness. The first thrust was hard and swift. Gasping, she threw her head back. 

Logan paused, and she sensed he might think that he’d moved too quickly. She let her head lull to the side and peeked at him. His jaw was clenched and she could see he was trying to retain his control.

“Damn, that was good,” she mumbled. 

His eyes flew to hers, and there was a knowing grin that spread across his lips. Readjusting his grip on her, he rolled his hips and she couldn’t help but moan. For a moment, his mouth hung above hers and she thought he might kiss her. At the last second, he switched directions and left a line of kisses across her jaw to her ear. 

Rogue thought she would fall apart as he began moving. It was too hard to keep her legs around his waist, so she locked her ankles behind him. He was alternating between shallow, rolling movements and harder, longer thrusts. The shower stall gave a hollow tin thunk, keeping time with his motions.

Was it possible to die from pleasure? She was wondering if that was his plan. Yet he seemed to know her body too well and was simply making love to her. There was that useless thought again right before he twisted his hips, grinding into her, and put an end to all thinking as she fell apart in his arms. 

Still pressed up against the wall, she marveled at what he could do to her. She was positive there had been not one but two orgasms, the second rolling through her as he spent himself. He was leaning heavily into her, his heart thumping in time with hers. His head resting next to hers and she heard it again. 

Or rather, he murmured ‘love you’ into the crook of her neck. A secretive sound, one that tested the waters with her. Almost as if he couldn’t help himself, but didn’t want to scare her. 

Disengaging herself, she did the only thing she could think of. “I better fix breakfast.”

Giving him a washcloth, she quickly dried off and left the other towel for him as she hurried from the bathroom. Her shaky legs wouldn’t hold her well enough to pull on pants, so she threw on her robe instead.r32;
She busied herself in the kitchen, trying to quiet the voices that had risen to laugh at her being such a fool. On the verge of tears, one clear voice, absent for almost a year now, roared to life and silenced them all. No sooner did she get a grip on her emotions than the voice disappeared. 

Rogue had missed his voice in her head and now she knew it was Logan’s voice, not Wolverine’s. Wolverine had helped her fight and win, because he didn’t take defeat lying down. Logan on the other hand was her friend, a trusted guide as she had fled Xavier’s and the fallout that was sure to happen. He’d lead her to a safe house and cash, more than once. He’d kept her moving, walked her through the process of a fake I.D., and helped her learn to read people and use that to her advantage. 

There were a thousand other things he’d ‘showed’ her she never would have learned on her own. Things that had helped her survive the last three years. Only after his voice had faded had she made this final decision. The decision to stop moving and accept her fate, whatever it might be. 

It was a decision she knew both Wolverine and Logan would have hated if they’d had a say in the matter. However, when she glimpsed him in the flesh two days ago for the first time since Xavier’s, she knew it had been the right move for her. The man himself had been sent after her and was giving her a warning. It was time.

Though to be honest, she wished his voice would have warned her about the addictive sex with Logan. His voice had cautioned her about other things and had even been just as baffled as her about not gaining his claws. She’d picked up a million and one other things from him, some much to her chagrin, yet he’d sheltered her from this. 
Lost in her thoughts as she reheated grits and fried a half pack of sausage links from the back of the freezer, she was caught off guard when Logan walked in. He was clothed in nothing but the towel wrapped around his waist. Rogue tried to ignore him because the way his muscles rippled as he moved was mesmerizing. 

“Hope you’re not too hungry, just some leftovers,” she said, turning her attention back to the stove. 

He walked up behind her. “I’m always hungry,” he replied, emphasizing the statement with a nip to her neck. It was obvious he wasn’t talking about the actual food she was making. 

Suppressing the giggle that bubbled up, she wasn’t as successful at hiding the moan as his hands roamed lower. She was doomed, something she’d known for a long time, but this feeling was new and she couldn’t help pushing back into his stiffening length. Maybe she should pray for deliverance. It had been so long since she had prayed that she was afraid she might accidentally ask to be delivered into Logan’s capable hands. 

Trying to pull herself back to reality, she turned off the stove. “Some of us without healing factors do need to eat.”

“Okay,” he said, his voice holding a bit of promise to return to this subject after they had breakfast.

Rogue had always made it a point to try to eat like a normal person, even when on the run. Yet this time she ate the sausages from the skillet and didn’t bother to put the grits into a bowl. Instead, they shared the spoon, eating from the pan, and used their fingers for the links. 

When he’d downed the last of the sausages and she’d polished off the grits, she eyed him. He raised an eyebrow and a blush spread from deep within her. She felt like a savage as she’d barely wiped the grits from her mouth and was on him.

Grabbing for him, she kissed him hard, needing to throw herself into this. Knowing it wouldn’t last, couldn’t last, and she wanted to get all of him she could before things went south. 

They stumbled through the doorway, losing the towel along the way. He sat down hard on the edge of the bed, pulling her onto his lap to straddle him. There was no need to slick his cock as she was still wet, and she hated that her body responded to his touch so easily. 

She fought with the robe as she descended on his shaft. It was going to be quick and hard in contrast to the other times. Staring down at him, she saw love flicker in his eyes and she tried to turn away, but he wouldn’t let her. The hand at the back of her neck was firm yet gentle, making her keep eye contact. 

This is what she feared. That she would become attached to him and not care what he would do in the end. She had fallen for Logan, and at the moment all that mattered to her was the love in his eyes.

At the first spasm, his hands moved to her hips, forcing her to ride through the wave. She watched through a haze as his mouth moved to her breast and he bit down on the fullest part. It didn’t hurt, but was sharp enough to mix in an odd way with the pleasure she already felt. 

As the second orgasm hit, his hips left the bed rushing up to meet hers. One of them was making a whimpering sound as he spilled himself into her. They collapsed onto the bed; a sweating, panting mess. 




Rogue was vaguely aware of the bed dipping, but drifted back off to sleep. The next time the movement was accompanied by, “Hey, Darlin’.”

Rolling over, she found Logan fully dressed with a plate of sandwiches. Slowly she sat up next to him, pulling the sheet up over her chest. She looked at the clock and realized she’d slept most of the morning away as it was almost noon. Though to be honest, there had been sex in between the bouts of snoozing.

“Hungry?” he asked, offering the plate. 

Accepting a sandwich, she blushed at how often they’d had sex in less than twenty-four hours. He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye and smirked as she tried to think of other things. Something that struck her as odd was his habit of always touching her when they slept. He’d either pull her close or have a hand or arm on her. It wasn’t like he was afraid she’d slip away, but rather a simple comfort in knowing she was close.

This had been the weirdest experience she’d had since becoming a mutant. That included Magneto and the Statue of Liberty incident. At the time, she thought nothing could top those. But her life seemed to become one incident after another, trying to top the last.

Sighing, she methodically chewed her food. Logan’s arrival was supposed to put an end to all of that. Yet here they were eating the last of the bread and lunch meat in bed. The fact that he was feeding her at all told her he had other plans, unless it was to give her a false sense of security. 

She probably should have put more thought into this scenario, but she never expected it to go past supper. Now she had to wonder what exactly his plans were and what he’d been doing besides making lunch while she slept. 

He startled her from her thoughts with a kiss on her shoulder. When she didn’t object, he placed another kiss further down. His hand traced her thigh through the sheet, sending a tremor up her spine. 

Smacking his hand lightly, she raised her sandwich, “Some of us aren’t finished.”

Switching tactics, he moved the plate and changed positions, putting his head in her lap. She couldn’t help herself and rolled her eyes at him. “Comfy?”

He burrowed down, pulling the sheet in the process, and looked up at her breasts where the sheet clung to her nipples, threatening to slide off. “Yeah, good view too.”

Rogue tried not to snort, afraid she might spit food if she did. It certainly seemed like the only plan he had was to be with her. The very man she thought she’d known from his absorbed memories was becoming more of a mystery now that he was here in the flesh. 

As she finished off her last bite, she peered down at him and caught sight of the discoloration on her chest. Tugging the sheet out of the way to examine it, the memory of what he’d done came back to her. Shifting a little, their eyes met and she knew he was studying her reaction. 

Before she could say anything one way or the other, Logan made her an offer, “Can heal it up, if you want?”

Blinking several times to make sure she heard him properly, she opened then closed her mouth. What was she supposed to say? This didn’t at all line up with what he was here to do. None of it did, but definitely not an offer to heal her. 

She ran her fingers through his hair and tried to smile even though it felt weak. “Aww sugar, I almost believe that.”

A frown appeared and several emotions swept over his face, letting her know he was offended. Abruptly he sat up to face her. “Why wouldn’t I?” 

They’d finally gotten to the real reason for his visit. She shook her head sadly, “You certainly know how to show a girl a good time, but we need to get down to business. I’m guessing you have a timetable to keep.”

The eyebrow he raised wasn’t simply a question. He wanted her to spell it all out for him, exactly what she thought was going on. In detail.

Rogue knew she hadn’t fallen in love with him completely, not yet. She’d been running off the fumes of her old romantic notions of him. And right at the moment, he reminded her so much of the man who gave her a ride before she knew the truth. 

Staring at him, she couldn’t form it into words. She couldn’t make herself say it out loud. Instead, she made a request. “Just make it quick. I’m done running and I don’t want to drag it out any longer.” She huffed, he wasn’t making this easy on her at all. “Not in the chest, we both know that wasn’t quick or painless.”

The light went on in his eyes and she wanted to believe he hadn’t known. He stood up and began pacing as much as the room would allow. Stopping, he scrubbed a hand over his face and glared at her. 

“You think I came here to kill you,” he stated gruffly. “Then what the hell…” he trailed off, pointing at the bed. 

She shrugged, “You kissed me.” The last twenty-four hours had been unforgettable and just thinking about it made her lightheaded. The sheets suddenly demanded to be smoothed and she felt the blush burn her cheeks at his questioning eyebrow. Nope, she still wasn’t sorry for taking advantage of his willingness and there were definitely no regrets.