Marie stretched slowly as she floated toward awareness, reaching for Logan for her favourite morning ritual – snuggling the stuffing out of him. Her hand met cold sheets, causing her eyes to jerk open in surprise, right as her sleepy brain remembered him waking her in the wee hours of the morning. He had told her he was being called out on a mission, wishing her a happy anniversary, and promising to be back as soon as possible – hopefully with some anniversary left to celebrate with her.

With a contented smile stretching across her face Marie reminisced on their anniversary, two years they had been together now. Two years of feeling loved, feeling wanted, being touched in the most comforting and creative ways. Two years of finally feeling at peace, at home, content and satisfied. She had found her reason for being there, for being alive.

She stayed in bed for around an hour, wishing Logan would return to keep her company. Eventually she dragged herself out of bed, with a yawn and a stretch, and headed for the bathroom. With her eyes almost closed she moved around the room by memory, until her hand brushed against something as she reached for the tap.

Paper, she would never forget the feel of that paper, as always her smile growing even brighter as she wondered what drawing Logan had left for her this time. He had continued, throughout their relationship to leave her little pictures, and she knew he had been working on one lately that he had been particularly adamant she couldn’t see while he was working on it. Sometimes he let her watch his work, sometimes he got her to pose for him; though they both knew he didn’t need her to, he knew every line and curve of her body intimately after all. This time though, he had been smugly secretive, even going so far as to take his tablet outside to work on it in the woods, or hiding it so she couldn’t find it; both things she had teased him about mercilessly.

Was this the artwork that was now sitting on her bathroom vanity waiting for her to open her eyes? Figuring she should open her eyes and find out, she did.

She worked out the orientation of the image before she determined what it was showing. It was a perspective shot, Logan’s view over her shoulder, the curve of her shoulder, and her cheek an almost profile of her face. Further down into her arms, where a bundle of soft blankets parted to reveal an enchanting sleeping face. A baby. Their baby. Fast asleep, sucking on its tiny clenched fist, as it was securely cocooned in its parents arms.

Smiling softly, longingly at the image, Marie felt the first tears overflow her lashes. It was the first time Logan had drawn a child, he had drawn her pregnant but never continued that image to fruition before. She wished she could give him that, with her mutation though, she just couldn’t fathom a way to achieve it.

Feeling her contented mood slip away, to be replaced by an old familiar depression, she set the image back down. Just as she was about to turn and flee the room, flee the mansion for a while, she spied a little strip of plastic sitting at the ready; she hadn’t noticed it waiting patiently beside the drawing.

Picking up the pregnancy test she wondered... did Logan know something she didn’t? Had he finally brought his desire to fruition because the first step had already been put into motion?

She must have stood in silence for a good ten minutes before deciding to undertake the test. She knew how they worked, even if she had never had need of one before, and in short order the test was started and set aside. Butterflies had taken flight in her gut and she knew she wouldn’t be able to sit still while she waited for the necessary chemical reactions to take place. Hurriedly she dressed, and decided to head downstairs to breakfast to distract herself.

It was an hour before she could bring herself to go back to her room, to see her fate. God she hoped it was positive! At the same time, she dare not hope; how unbelievable would that be.

She didn’t know how long she had been sitting on the closed toilet, just staring at her hands, or more specifically, what was clutched in her hands. The near silent thud of Logan’s heavy boots had her raising her eyes to the doorway. She took a moment to take him in in silence, from the top of his scruffy haired head, to the tips of his scuffed boots.

“How did you know?” she murmured softly, wonder in her eyes.

She watched his face, as his eyes softened, pure joy taking over as the predominant emotion, as a smile turned up his lips, and softened the frown lines of his brow. His smile faltered for a moment before he replied.

“I don’t know, I’ve been having these amazing dreams though... I saw the most beautiful little girl, and she was all ours,” Logan rumbled softly, almost purring the words out. “Is that okay- is that what you want?” he asked suddenly; and now she knew what the worry in his eyes was for.

Marie smiled. “Yes, oh yes, it’s amazing, and perfect, I just... I don’t know how and—”

“Jesus Marie, you know where babies come from,” Logan interrupted with a chuckle.

“Okay, I know “how”, I just don’t know “how”, I mean we’ve always used condoms, my skin... and what is that going to mean for this baby? Will I be able to carry it, what if my mutation doesn’t let me, what if I can’t give birth, what if I can’t hold my own child, feed my own child, what if—” She was almost hyperventilating by the time Logan made it across the room to kneel before her. He took her hands in his own before he began to speak.

“Marie, you ever heard the saying about not borrowing trouble from tomorrow, we don’t need to worry about the what ifs, what happens will happen, and whatever happens we’ll work with, work through, and no matter what we’ll do it together, you hear me,” Logan reassured her. Turning his eyes to the pregnancy test still clutched in their now joined hands, turning it slightly so he could confirm the positive result. “Marie, we’re having a baby,” he murmured contentedly.

“We’re having a baby,” Marie replied, her own smile starting to grow, banishing the shadow of worry like the sun burning off a morning fog. “We’re having a baby!” she repeated louder, throwing her arms around his neck as she laughed in delight.