His head was spinning. It was hard to think. It was hard to breathe. Then somebody was kneeling over him, tugging his gauntlets.
“Give those to me…” Angry hiss. His mother.
“Mom…”
“Shut up. Stay down. I’ll take care of this.”

“Yet another contestant seems to have stepped in the ring! This is getting interesting!” Loudspeakers boomed. Logan could only stare at the petite woman in front of him. Gone was the pixie-like creature he remembered. Work-hardened body had replaced slender curves. There was a feral gleam in the eyes that had once shined love and caring. Delicate hands were now hidden under thick gauntlets made out of black rubber and covered with razorblades. She bared her teeth and let out a low, guttural growl. It was the only warning he got before she launched herself to him, staying well out of his reach, jabbing steady, sharp punches when ever his guard dropped, drawing blood with every connecting hit.

At first she had been horrified. Ready to run if he noticed her. Then fight had broken out, and Sam had drawn her whole attention. She was his mother. She worried. Logan momentarily forgotten she had stared in awe when Sam had finished opponent after another, seemingly effortless. She had cheered along when people around her had cheered. She had booed when situation required it. Then there had been only two men standing, and reality had invaded her mind again. She had started to make her way towards the cage when it started to look like Sam was loosing. Not a surprise to her. Nobody could take down Wolverine. When Logan had pinned Sam to the ground she had prayed that he wouldn’t take in Sam’s scent. Foolish prayer. When Logan had knocked Sam unconscious, something inside of her had snapped. She wasn’t going to just stand and watch when her son got beaten to pulp. No matter who or what did the beating.

Every punch hurt like a bitch, but Logan was practically purring from contentment. She was fire and ice, blood and barbed wire, ready to defend their son no matter what. For his son that stubborn fighter was. First he had caught a whiff of Marie’s scent on him, and sudden pang of jealousy and black hatred had made him nearly kill the other man. At the final possible second, before Logan had snapped his neck he had smelled something else. His own scent mingling with Marie’s. That had identified the now unconscious kid as their son to him; instead of possible lover he had first mistaken him.

He didn’t answer to Marie’s attacks, merely fended them off for the most part. When she showed no signs of tiring he finally pinned her to the ground with his body, restraining her hands above her head. Marie let out a startled shriek. Crowd around them was chanting for blood. Suddenly Marie kneed him to the groin. Blow made air hiss out of his lungs and his eyes water, but he refused to let go of her.
“You should have done that twenty years ago…” He whispered, leaning closer to her face. Confused look clouded her eyes.
“Is it you? Really just you?”
“Just me, Marie.”

When it looked like she had calmed down, he let go of her, stood up and backed away few steps, still guarding her every move carefully. Yet she managed to take him by surprise.
“You fucking bastard!” She threw him with the gauntlets, then turned her back and went to the boy who was now struggling to stand up.
“Come on… That’s it. Get up. I’ll have a room. We can go and take care of you…”
“But what about… What about the money?” Boy was wheezing, eyeing Logan maliciously.
“It doesn’t matter. We have to go now. This isn’t a good place…” Suddenly the boy straightened his back.
“You’re afraid of him. Why?” He asked.
“It’s nothing. Come on. Let’s go…” Marie tried to push him to the direction of the door, but boy refused to move. He shrugged Marie’s hands off from him and took a step closer to Logan. He could see boy’s nostrils flaring briefly.
“It’s him…”
“Sam, no. We have to go…” Marie was struggling now in earnest, throwing herself in front of her son, trying to stop him. Boy kept walking until he stood nose to nose with Logan, Marie squished between them.
“You fucking piece of shit raped her.”

Two raging beasts towered over her. She could feel vibrations of their growling coursing through her whole body. Logan’s hand reached over her shoulder and locked around Sam’s throat.
“You little prick don’t know jack shit about what went down back there, so keep your mouth shut. That’s something between me and your mother,” Logan murmured low under his breath.
“Just because you’re my son doesn’t mean that I won’t hurt you. Go. Walk away before I’ll do something we all regret…” Logan snorted, shoving Sam backwards, releasing his grip from around his throat.
“Mom?” Sam’s eyes searched hers.
“Go back to the truck. Wait for me there. I’ll come as soon as I have talked with… With your father.”

Logan was still growling, his whole body tense. When Sam moved, turned around and started walking towards the cage door Marie had to keep Logan back so that he wouldn’t go after him. She stood there, nervous and agitated man pressing against her back for what felt like eternity. People watching the match were now silent, leaving. It was obvious that the fight was over. House had won. Not one of their own, so there would be no celebrations and a big reward ceremony.

At the door Sam stopped and turned to look at them. Marie waved him to go. She really needed to talk with Logan, alone. No matter how terrified and alone she felt with him, she had to squish the urge to run, and face him. Logan seemed to think the same.
“You have a room? Can we go there? We need to talk, and it’s kind of private,” he said raising his voice towards the end of the sentence, to ward off his team members who had woken up and circled them.
“We’ll see you tomorrow, Wolverine…” One of them said. Shiver run down Marie’s spine upon hearing that name.