They got as far as to half way through the route when searchlights swept over the truck.
“Fucking vultures…” Sam muttered, cocking the rifle. Marie could see at least five vehicles circling around their truck. Small and agile little things, most likely hovercrafts. At least two of them were heavily armed, with pulse cannons installed to the front. One blast from one of those and the truck’s engine would be toast. Of course the guy operating those monsters had to know what he was doing. They were so high-powered weapons that as easily as they could just stop the truck, they could blow it up completely, leaving bandits with nothing but a smoking pile of bent metal. If she could keep driving, they probably wouldn’t risk loosing their intended loot.

“Incoming!” Sam shouted warning just as one of the hovercrafts crashed against the truck’s side. They were going to force her off-road, to the sinking sand. She would get stuck if the truck slipped in there. Truck swerved, but she managed to keep it on the road.
“I swear if we get away from them, I’ll start working on this babe…” She murmured. She still remembered bits and pieces from the truck she had taken apart with Logan. It would have to be enough, because bandits were getting more skilled every year that passed.

Hovercraft rammed to the back of the truck, making the whole vehicle swerve and tremble. She fought with the steering wheel, trying to make it obey her will. From the corner of her eye she could see red glow. Hover was powering up the pulse cannon.
“Sam, can you get those cannons out of the game?” she asked.
“I’m not sure. Those suckers are so heavily armored that I doubt it, but I can try…” Sam muttered, leaning over her lap and opening the side window. Shooting from a moving platform to a moving target wasn’t easy, but he had gotten quite skilled in that during these years.
“Can’t take out cannons, but I’ll see if I can slow down those hovers…”

First shot just grazed armoring of the hovercraft lightly, but it was enough to scare the driver. When he slowed down Sam got a better aim to the hover, and he managed to blow up the air intake on the craft’s left side, putting it out of commission temporarily.
“Now that other fucker…” He said, sitting up and checking the situation from the rearview mirror.
“Shit… Mom! More bogies coming in!” She risked a glance and swore. Sam was right. He had disabled one of the hovercrafts, but something bigger was approaching them from behind, fast. Another truck. Armed from bottom to the roof, with all imaginable weaponry there was.

It was big. It was ugly. It looked clumsy as hell, but it was gaining them fast. Soon it was close enough to nudge the bumper of their truck with its own. Then it opened fire. Three machine guns, pulse cannon and two flamethrowers practically eviscerated small hovercrafts from around them.
“Oh, my God…”
“Might as well give up. That bastard is too big and mean for us,” Sam hissed, banging the dashboard angrily with his fist. Armed truck drove to their side. She couldn’t see inside because of the tinted windows. It drove beside them for a while, then suddenly sped up and swerved in front of them.
“What the fuck is going on?” Sam whispered. They had seen three more hovercrafts coming towards them. Looked like who ever was driving the armed truck wasn’t going to let anybody else to the loot. Heavy truck squished one of the hovers under its wheels and pulse cannon made short work from the other two. That task completed it slowed down and fell back beside Marie’s truck.
“It’s dad,” Sam said.
“How do you know?” Marie asked.
“Who else would drive a tank like that? And it kind of helps recognition when it reads ‘Wolverine’ on the door of that beast…”

“Shit. Shitshitshit… Fuck.”
“What are you doing?” Sam asked when their speed started to slow down.
“I don’t want him to find out where we live. I’m stopping.” She eased her foot from the gas slowly and let the truck grind to a halt. Bigger truck stopped too. Driver’s door opened, and Logan climbed down, lighting a cigar. He walked to their truck and just stared at them through the windshield, puffing the cigar.
“Oh, crap. Stay here…” Marie muttered to Sam and climbed out to meet their rescuer.

“Are you fucking nuts? Driving around alone in this piece of shit! You’re lucky one of the guys saw you leaving…”
“I left because of you. I didn’t ask you to follow me.”
“Fuck you, too, Marie. Hop in and drive home. I’ll make sure you’ll get there in one piece. I’ll fix this thing that you call a truck and…”
“No. Leave us alone.”
“No, Marie. You don’t like me that much, and for that I don’t blame you. But I’m not going to sit back and watch you get yourself killed. Drive. I’ll follow. I have spare parts in the back. I can start working with that truck of yours as soon as we get to your place. Might take couple of days, and after that I’ll leave. I’ll leave for good.”

“He didn’t take no for an answer?” Sam asked when she started the engine and Logan’s truck pulled after them.