“I already told you, boy… I won’t tolerate this kind of behavior just because you’re my son. Get the fuck out of my face…”
“Or what, old man?” Sam taunted. Logan moved calmly but efficiently, twisting his torso and sweeping Sam on his back to the ground with well-placed kick to his knees.
“Back off from my case or I swear I cut you to so small fucking shreds that your mom can use you to tie her shoes,” Logan murmured, pinning Sam to the ground with his body, claws grazing his jugular. For a moment Sam looked like he was about to speak, but Logan silenced him by retracting the claws from his left hand and pressing the palm of that hand over his mouth.
“Now, I don’t know what exactly Marie has told to you, or how much you have paid attention when she has spoken to you, but there’s one thing that is clearly forgotten from you. I’m not the usual father figure with nine to five job and small beer-belly. I’m not the daddy who scolds you and warns you off from the neighbor’s daughter. I’m the type who drinks a lot, fights and screws that said daughter himself. Only reason I haven’t cut you up already is your mother. She wouldn’t probably like too much if I gutted you like a fish. Get. Off. My. Case.” Last four words were accentuated with small taps of his claws against Sam’s jugular.

“You’re insane…” Sam wheezed when Logan’s weight left his body and older man rolled smoothly on his feet. Logan offered his hand to him to help him up.
“Clever boy. Remember that the next time you feel the urge to waltz with me.” Then he turned to Marie who was now standing, torn look on her face.
“Shall we? Have to get this beast purring before it starts to rain,” he said, picking up the screwdriver she had dropped when Sam had bounced on them.
“I think I need to go and lie down…” She whispered before running in to the cabin, slamming the door shut so hard that it bounced straight back open after her, leaving both men standing and staring the door that rattled on it’s hinges.
“Now look what you did…” Logan grunted, starting towards the cabin, his first instinct to go after Marie, to see if she was all right. Sam beat him in to it, stepping in front of him and blocking his entrance. Logan’s eyes narrowed. Then he huffed and nodded.
“Take care of her.”

Rest of the day he spent working on the truck. Last thing he did was to install flamethrowers to the roof of the cab.
“Those are not much, but they’re better than nothing. How about a test-drive?” Logan asked from Sam who had been sitting on the front porch, guarding the door of the cabin jealously.

“I’m not the driver. Mom is. I’ll go and get her,” Sam said after careful consideration. He had wanted to lie and take the wheel Logan had offered, but it would have to be Sam’s mom. She would have to learn to handle the truck. She would have to learn it from Logan. Sam wouldn’t be here long anymore, and Logan was going to take off soon, too.

“Aren’t you coming?” Logan asked surprised when Sam remained on the ground while Marie climbed on the driver’s seat. Sam shook his head. Cab of the truck wasn’t big enough for the three of them. It would have been before, but now that his ribs were throbbing and sore from the fight with Logan he wasn’t going to be able to sit still.
“Suit yourself. This might take some time. I was thinking we could drop by the settlement and get that pulse cannon I talked about earlier,” Logan said, doors of the truck closed and it sped away.

“I wasn’t going to hurt him. Couldn’t do that. No more than I could hurt you,” Logan said after they had driven half an hour in uncomfortable silence. Marie just grunted in response, taking in the changes within the truck. Steering wheel was more rigid to handle. Whole truck felt heavier, somehow clumsy.
“What did you do to my baby?” She finally asked.
“Just told him few hard facts, I think he…” Logan’s voice trailed off when Marie’s amused laughter filled the cab.
“Oh, you mean the truck?” He asked, smirking sheepishly, admiring the way Marie’s smile seemed to light up the nearly dark cab. Sun was setting.
“Of course I meant the truck! Sam hardly is a baby anymore!”
“That’s something we have to agree to disagree… Okay… I had some leftover armoring from when I built my truck. This cab is now bulletproof. Lorry is unprotected. There are two flamethrowers up on the roof, you can control them with this…” His fingers popped open a small compartment near the steering wheel, revealing a radar screen with a row of buttons under it.
“Just push this button…” He pressed a bright red button on the left side of the screen and yellow grid net fell over the green screen.
“With this you can aim, or you can press this and they search the targets by themselves. Wouldn’t count on that too much, though. Learn to aim,” Logan ended the explanation and closed the compartment. His hand lingered on top of the lid a while before he retreated back to the passenger’s side of the cab.

“What else?” Marie asked.
“Christ! What more do you want? You’re a needy woman…” Logan grunted smiling.
”Well, it certainly has been a while, but that wasn’t what I was referring to. Come on! I know you. You didn’t spend day and a half tinkering with this baby just to give me a chance to fry some ants!” Marie huffed. It was getting easier to relax in Logan’s company.
“Well, there’s this ultra-secret weapon stashed under the hood of this beast. It’ll send out an EM pulse if you turn on the radio, windshield wipers and radar at the same time…” Logan smiled and whispered conspiratorially.
“Really?” Marie asked.
“No. But there’s one weapon, even more powerful than those pulse cannons in here,” Logan said with a serious tone.
“What do you mean?” Marie asked confused.
“You. Learn to use your mutations and you can cross this desert even by foot if you need to.”
“I rather not. I have already spent enough time sucking dry sand, thank you.” Logan shrugged.
“Suit yourself. By the way, it looks like we got company,” he said, nodding towards the rearview mirror. Marie’s hand went to the radar, but Logan covered it with his palm.
“Wait. They’re not bandits. It’s a convoy.”

“A convoy?” She squeaked, hating how weak her voice suddenly sounded.
“Yeah. Pull over.” She obeyed him numbly, stopping to the side of the road and turning off the engine. They just sat there and waited until last of the heavily armed vehicles passed them.
“Come on. Let’s get out for a while…” Logan said, opened the door and stepped out to the night. Marie sat still for a while before following him, slight trembling revealing her frazzled state.
“That bad, huh?” Logan asked. She breathed deeply, leaning her palms to her knees, trying to stop the tremors racing through her whole body. She felt Logan’s palm on her back, rubbing up and down in a soothing motion. There was a slight tremble too. She wasn’t the only one scared.

“Every fucking time… It’s not the same anymore. They’re not after me, I know that, but every fucking time I see them all I can think about is that they’re going to drag me back in…” She could hear him speak. His hand had stopped and lay on her upper back, flat and warm. She rose from her crouched position to face him, and extended her arms.
“Come here…” He approached her hesitantly before surrendering to her embrace, and answering to it by wrapping his arms around her.

It took a while from both of them to relax and let go of the fear that had settled over, but eventually they broke the embrace, reluctantly.
“We should get going. Those guys will keep bandits away, and…” Logan said, clearing his throat.
“Yeah… That would be good… Yeah. Let’s get going.”