Author's Chapter Notes:
As promised, I worked on it this weekend. yay!
I'd started out well enough, taking the long way to get into Canada, driving all the way to the northern tip of New York, to cross over by Plattsburgh, rather than cut west and try to sneak over out by Buffalo. Less traffic, and more college kids from Plattsburg making me just another young face in the every day crossing. I was driving about twelve hours a day, trying to be patient.I wasn't used to the roads I was taking, and I had to keep myself sharp, so I limited my amount of driving, and stopped regularly to eat. From what Chuck had tossed into the envelope, Logan wasn't in a hurry to be going anywhere, but was staying put for a change. I wanted to be ready for anything when I got to him.

I'd been singing along the stereo, loudly enough I almost didn't hear the cell phone ring. I pulled over, recognizing the ring assigned to the Professor, and answered. He apologized for bothering me, but would I mind terribly a little detour into Toronto, to help out a mutant he knew of, until he could someone else up there to take over? Scott and Ororo were gone on another mission, so they didn't have the Blackbird to hand at the moment, so it would be about six or so hours. He just wanted someone he knew and trusted to help out this mutant. So, taking the next exit off the highway, I went to do Chuck a favor. What was six hours out of my trip? I'd just sleep in Toronto, and be on the road extra early tomorrow. I wouldn't lose much time, and he needed my help.

I learned my lesson. Never, ever, do Chuck a favor when you're supposed to be on leave. Sure, a mutant he knew of had gotten herself into trouble. One Miss Danvers, Carol, to be exact. I'd shown up as instructed, to offer her a hand, only to have us both get swarmed by government types that were trying to take her in... for something. They knew more about her than I did, because when she picked me up, and lifted me with her to fly away, they brought her down to the ground, with me along for the ride. She'd hit her head, and with the weights they were putting on us, I couldn't get out of her way. Skin touched mine, my mutation flared... and they were left with no men alive, and Scott and Ororo arrived to find me covered in blood and gore, my eyes changing colors between brown and blue, confused... and with a comatose Carol.

I was horrified, of course, and seeing the look on Ororo's face, and even the expression changing on Scott's usually stoic features only increased that feeling I got after using my mutation. Like I was the lowest of the low, the worst specimen of mutant kind. I always felt like that, even when Logan willingly had touched me to heal me, or when I had just taken a spark of a mutation from a hurt team member, so I could help in the fight. Even when they didn't look at me like they were right now.

"Ah came, the Professor asked me ta.. she tried ta get me out of here, but they knocked us down.. she was on top of me.. Ah couldn't get free fast enough..." Glancing back to the blond body laying listless, breathing slow and shallow, still tangled in the net that gave the truth of my story. I shuddered, hands rubbing at my arms as though to ward off a chill. I felt numb, now that everything was immediately over, and didn't even argue when Scott bundled me into the plane, saying we'd need Hank to check me over to make sure I was all right.

Ororo was even quieter and more aloof than was her usual habit, as Scott made sure the Jeep was stowed safely, at least for a few days. They'd probably send someone to get it, though I was still hoping that they wouldn't keep me at the mansion long. My skin tingled and itched again, making me squirm in my seat. Ororo glanced at me, gave me a passive smile, before she took her seat at the controls. Scott jogged up into the plane, buckled himself in, and I could feel the way the plane was pushing against the pull of gravity, lifting off. I ducked my head, letting my hair slide down to curtain my face. I'd been sent to help, and had all but killed her instead. Once again I hated my mutation, and what it made me. I knew Carol had been friends with Jean and Ororo on some old missions back when the X-men were still a young team... she'd allied with them on some missions..no wonder Ororo said nothing to me.

I was all but ushered by Ororo to the medbay, though she took me to Hank's office, hand squeezing my shoulder. I looked up, and saw her face again, compassionate and yet aloof. The face, I guess, of a goddess, before she was moving out to the medbay to try and help Hank hook Carol up to life support. If anyone could save Carol, I was sure it was Hank. He'd kept most all of us alive at some point or other, even when we maybe didn't want to live.

I'm not sure how long I sat in that chair in his office, toying with my gloves, scraping at the bloodstains with my fingernails. When Hank came in, I looked up at him. God only knows what I looked like, still covered in now dried blood, bloody gloves in my hands, twisted and knotted together. As usual, the big blue didn't let it get to him. After a short poke and a few simple tests to make sure I wasn't suffering physically from the transfer, Hank hugged me, told me to be more careful, to take my vitamins, and to go get a shower and some sleep. He'd talk to Scott about going to take me to the Jeep.

Clearly against his better judgement, Scott took me back for the Jeep the next day. You didn't have to be a mind reader to see the lines of tensioned disapproval etched into his face. Scooter would be a pretty good lookin' guy, if he didn't have his jaw set and his lips pressed together all the damn time. He must have felt me stealing the looks his way, because as I was getting ready to de plane, he spoke up.

"I'm not mad at you, Rogue. I don't blame you for what happened, or anything like that." Softly, while looking at the control panel still. " I just.. I'm worried about you, out here, alone. I know where you're going, I just wish I... wish I could say more than good luck. "

He rose then, giving me a stiff hug, and a smoothing hand over my hair. Then he just let me go, a nod towards the ramp. " Good luck, Rogue."

"Thanks, Scott." My voice was soft, because something about the whole exchange had made my throat ache, like it does before you cry. I grabbed up my extra pack and hurried down the ramp. I didn't look back, just kept walking as fast as I could for the Jeep. I threw my stuff in, jammed the key in the ignition, and started it up before the first drops fell and streaked my cheeks.

I got back on the road towards Laughlin, checking in with Hank every twelve hours the first couple days. Carol was stable, but showed no signs of improvement or awakening. Which meant I was apparently stuck with her powers a while, and her voice in my head. While she wasn't a complete wench, I still had to get used to super strength, or the urge to fly. Which might have made my trip faster, but if she woke up and I was still in midflight? Splat.

I could feel my stomach twisting as I got closer and closer to Laughlin, vaguely remembering some of the signs and look of the road from when I'd hitched my way there with friendly truckers. I parked on the outskirts of town, walked to the diner for a sandwich, wondering if Logan was up yet, what he'd say on seeing me, if he'd ever even forgive me. I hadn't meant things the way he thought I had. I'd done my penance for my sins, but he needed to know that.

Gloved hands in pockets, feeling the breeze toss my hair around, reaching up to tuck the white streak behind my ear. Cutting around to the back of the bar, to look to see if Logan's truck was there, before I tried to figure out what to say.

I was in the shadow of a big pine, inhaling the sharp resin scent. There he was, stripped down to one of those white wife beaters he made look so good, and made women drool over him. Working with a brush, varnishing a long length of wood, with intricate carved marks on the edges. I just stood and watched him, wondering if I was downwind enough, if the tree and the varnish would cover my scent, my trail, long enough to just let me watch him. Let me drink in the sight of him that I'd missed for so long.

I was just getting ready to step out from under the heavy hanging boughs, to call out to him, when the door to the inside opened. Redheaded, petite.. with bare hands. She was light up like a roman candle on the Fourth of July, hurrying towards him over the grass. I strained my ears to listen. Who was she, damn her. How dare she be here, with him!

"Logan?" I could hear a drawl in her voice, only making me more livid, watching her set one small hand on his arm. It was enough to make him freeze, eyes lowering to her hand, then up to her face. "Ah did it. Ah finally did it." Did what? Her voice was so full of excitement, of joy, that I wanted to walk up and claw her eyes out. Who the hell was she, and what was she to Logan? *My* Logan.

But the pain didn't come until that brush was set atop that can, and he was scooping her up into a hug. Laughing with her, before he was setting her back down, just setting her down and keeping her close to his chest for a moment.

"That's great, Al. " his hand stroked over her hair, before he *finally* let her go. "Once Angus gets back, we'll go out sometime to celebrate, and make some plans. Talk about the stuff I was telling you about. " I took pleasure in watching the joy in her face fade some, hands fluttering to fidget in front of her.

"But Logan.. what if they don't understand? What if things don't work like ya think they will? Ah mean.. what if.. Ah couldn't stand ta see ya hurt." Oh, now I just wanted to press her face between my bare hands. Logan was mine, damn it, not hers.

"Al, they'll understand fine. They'll help you control it better. I think it'll be a good place for you. If not.. well, Angus would be a fool not to take you back. He hasn't made profits like this in years." His smirk made my heart jump. He was planning to take her back to New York? Oh, wouldn't Bobby and them get a big laugh out of that, Logan parading his new little redhead around, making a bigger mess out of me.

I watched him ruffle her hair, and mention he was heading in for a beer. Watched him walk inside, the shadows of the interior swallowing him from view. Eyes turned, and locked on the redhead now, who was looking over the wood Logan had been finishing. Bare hands, bare arms.. vulnerable. Logan was my mate, and I couldn't bear to have that jeopardized, especially not now. She couldn't take him from me, I couldn't stand it.

Keeping her locked in my sight as I stepped out from under the heavy, shadowing boughs of the pine tree, feeling resolve lock into place. Heading for the little redhead who'd never see it coming.