I could see her begging with those big brown eyes of hers not to do whatever it was I'm about to do.

I suppose I felt a bit annoyed that after all this time, she still knew me so well. The side product of being stuck in her head, I guess, but that doesn't make it any better.

I'm a loner. I'm a fighter. I'm the Wolverine. Teenage girls shouldn't know me better than I know myself.

But she does, and those big, brown eyes are pleading with me not to react. Maybe she doesn't want to see her boyfriend humiliated.

But damn it, she should have thought of that before she started dated a little brat under the delusion that he was dominant to me.

Some men show dominance through handshakes. I've done it enough times before, squeezed until the other man gave up and let go. No one ever wins that game with me. Not with unbreakable metal in my skin.

Of course, Bobby isn't trying to break my hand. He's trying to freeze it.

I'm sure Rogue will tell me all sorts of stories later. He was nervous about seeing me again, he lost control, he didn't mean to. All sorts of lies that she thinks will play to my ego.

I don't have an ego. I don't need one. I know what I am, and it's more than this boy will ever be.

I look at my hand. Rogue is begging again, not just with her eyes but her entire face, her lips ready to say something, say anything to stop the inevitable confrontation.

I smile.

Bobby has the good sense to look a little nervous.

"Boyfriend?" And then, the part that I can't help slips out, "So how do you guys..."

Bobby looks at Rogue.

Rogue looks at Bobby.

It's Bobby who answers with words, but I hardly notice. Rogue's eyes aren't begging anymore. In fact, they're smoldering. promising horrible, terrible vengeance that will be carried out upon me slowly and painfully.

I smile at her. I can hardly wait.



I don't have to wait long. Rogue arrives at my door that night, slamming it behind her and locking it.

I raise an eyebrow. "Where's your boyfriend?"

I was prepared for her to blush, especially considering the taunting tone of voice I've been practicing most of the evening.

I wasn't prepared for a text-book right hook.

Staring up at her from my back, I have a few moments to rub my chin and wonder how on earth she managed to knock me head over heels. Before I can solve this riddle, she's straddling my chest, her arms crossed.

"You are a lousy jackass."

"That's no secret." I lace my fingers behind my head, smiling up at her. "Won't Bobby be upset that you're spending your time with me instead of him?"

Rogue smiles sweetly. "Bobby is arranging a trip to see his family. If you don't behave, you just may be playing chaperone."

I spend a few moments pondering the family that must have spawned Bobby Drake, and shudder. "Thanks, I'll pass."

Rogue's smile fades. "You're still a jackass," she muttered, now looking anywhere but at me.

"You know that more than anyone," I remind her, one finger tapping lightly on the side of her head. Even barely touching her, I can feel the vacuum, the void inside her pulling at me.

She climbs off of me and slumps into the chair in front of my desk, shaking her head. "Bobby's a nice boy, Logan. And he's been good to me since you left. I owe him--"

"Shit." Her eyes are startled as she watches me climb to my feet, and I lean over her, bracing my hands on the desk. "So he's been nice to you. That's what these people are about, Marie. You don't owe him shit for it. Is that why you're." I can hardly bring myself to say the word. "Is that why you're dating him?"

"I'm not Marie anymore," she protests, leaning back to put some distance between us. "Call me Rogue."

I can't help but snort. "I already told you what I think of that name. Not long after I met you."

"So?" Her eyes are closed off now. Cool. "Marie is the girl you brought here. Marie ran off and got kidnapped and nearly killed because she was foolish. I'm not that girl anymore."

"Fine." I stand up. "I suppose the next thing you'll be doing is getting fitted for one of those damn leather suits and flying around with Scott."

She smiles at me. Damn the girl, she smiles as she stands up and walks towards my door. "You've been gone a long time, Logan. And if you must know, I look good in leather."

Her parting shot did everything she wanted it to do. Everything and more, because now I was stuck with the image of leather caressing every curve of her body--especially the ones she'd developed since I'd left.

Shit.



Of course, as soon as I got the picture into my head, I found it impossible to get out. I couldn't even enjoy the overpriced mattress in my snug little room, because I was haunted by dreams of Rogue in tight leather, which was quite pleasant when compared to my nightmares of Rogue fighting beside Jean and Scott and being injured and dying.

Part of me wanted to find the professor and scream at him. She was a kid, a little girl, and he had no right to strap her into a costume and send her out to protect mankind as if she was some sort of super hero. Mankind had done nothing for her--less than nothing, and the thought of her bleeding or dying for them was intolerable.

The rest of me didn't want to argue that point, because calling her a little girl said some rather unflattering things about me and my sudden obsession with her leather clad body.

Did I say shit?

I meant fuck.



My newly formed awareness of Rogue trapped me quite nicely into a little box. When Rogue oh-so-sweetly suggested to Xavier that chaperoning the kids on their excursion to Bobby's house would give me a chance to get to know them, I couldn't work up more than a half-hearted growl.

Xavier seemed in love with the very notion--I'm sure the idea of me becoming a contributing and mentoring part of their little team was his deepest desire. I tried to protest, but I couldn't really hold it up for too long. Truth was--I didn't want Rogue going anywhere without me.

Especially not to Bobby Drake's house.

It was a loosing battle from the start. I managed not to give in *too* graciously. Wouldn't want to lose my reputation.

Rogue's smile was absolutely poisonous, and somehow I found it insanely sexy. I couldn't decide if I wanted to run like hell, or throw her on the table and take her right that moment.

Rogue leaned over and up to whisper in my ear. Her lips were so close to my ear that I could feel the air brushing against my cheek, and my need to run was increased drastically.

"Try to avoid any more embarrassing displays of dominance," she whispered

Even when I'm in full retreat, I still have my pride. "Talk to your boyfriend about that," I replied, and smiled as her face tightened.

Displays of dominance?

That girl hadn't seen anything yet. And I had every intention of showing her.

Of course, that thought made me want to run like hell. Which I did.

To a cold shower.