Author's Chapter Notes:
Storm breaks the news to those at the Mansion, and Logan takes Rogue under his wing.
Rogue’s mind was racing. “Something’s gone horribly wrong! The alarm never goes off! I hope the team’s ok…. Oh, no! What if someone’s hurt, or worse?” Her head felt like it was going to explode. She closed her eyes and tried to shake the thoughts from her mind, and ran smack into Logan with a slight ‘oomph.’

Logan had stopped running; they had reached Storm’s office. Turning around to look at Rogue, who smiled apologetically, he opened the door and stepped inside.

Kitty and Piotr turned to look at Logan and Marie. Piotr was shaking and Kitty was crying. Logan looked from them to Storm, and then at Rogue. Rogue’s eyes were wide with fear. Logan seemed to have read her mind, for they both noticed that Bobby wasn’t in the room.

“What’s goin’ on, Storm? What’s happened?” He walked up to Ororo, who was seated at her desk. She would not look at either one of her fellow teammates, but instead gazed out the window. A heavy rain was pouring down, as if the sky itself was releasing its relentless torrent of tears. “Storm?” Logan’s voice was quieter now. Ororo turned her head slightly to him. Rogue cautiously stepped up beside Logan.

“Storm...where’s Bobby?” Rogue’s voice was feeble. Tears began to swim in her eyes. She had a feeling she already knew the answer. Storm was biting her knuckle now, and turned her attention to Rogue, shaking her head as her own tears fell.

“He’s, he’s…dead. Bobby’s dead.”

Logan wiped his hand over his face as he turned from the desk, emitting the breath he didn’t realize he’d been holding. He looked a Kitty, who was a sobbing mess, and a Piotr, who had his head in his hands. He then looked at Rogue.

“Marie…” She stood stock-still, unwilling to move. Logan noticed her trembling slightly, and walked up to her, placing his arms around her. “I’m sorry, kid.” She still did not move. Logan looked at her eyes, which were fixed in a blank stare on an object that no one could see.

“I feel weak, Logan,” she said, barley perceptible, and collapsed. Logan reacted quickly, and caught her before she fell.

“I’ll take her upstairs to her room,” he told Storm, and picked Rogue up bridal-style.

Ororo nodded, then added, “Why don’t you just keep her with you, Logan… make sure she doesn’t do anything, ok? Keep an eye on her.”

“I always am, ‘Ro. I always will.” With that, Logan walked out the door, leaving the others to mourn.

The walk to his room seemed to take forever. Logan fought with his thoughts the entire way, struggling with his own emotions. The Ice Man was dead, gone. Marie had lost a close friend, and her boyfriend at that. Granted, they were in a rut, but he knew she had strong feelings for the guy. He looked down at her, still out cold. “Poor kid…” He shook his head. Finally reaching the door, he walked in and gently placed Rogue in his bed. She’d wake up soon. He walked back over the door and closed it before walking over to where she lay. He fixed her head on his pillows and covered her with a blanket. Kissing her on her forehead, he went and sat down on the nearby chair, content with watching and waiting until she awoke from unconsciousness.

Rogue moaned softly, slowly wriggling back and forth in Logan’s bed. She was mumbling slightly, as well. Logan got up and crossed his room, kneeling beside his bed. “Shh…Marie, it’s ok. You’re alright, I’m here.” He gently stroked her temple. Opening her eyes, Rogue simply looked at him.
“I just had a horrible dream, Logan…Bobby died on that mission.”

Logan looked down and sighed. “That was no dream, Marie. He’s gone.” He looked back up to find that her eyes were searching his own, looking for any sign of doubt. She found none.

“Oh my God… he’s, he’s gone….” She began to get choked up. It pained Logan greatly to see her upset, and he wished he could do something to make her happier. She sat up in his bed and pulled her knees to her chest. Logan sat on his bed and put his arm around her, pulling her close.

“It’ll be ok, Marie. You’ll get through this. I promise.” Marie turned into him and clutched at his shirt, sobbing. Logan knew it would be a long night for them both.

: : /// : :

Logan woke up the next morning with his arm around Rogue beside him in his bed. This thought made him smile at first, then the events of the previous evening registered, causing his smile to fade. She was still asleep. He lay there, just watching her rest. His eyes drifted from her peaceful face down to her chest, which was steadily rising and falling in a rhythmic manner, and back up to her face again. He tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear, causing her to stir unintentionally. She opened her eyes slowly at first, and then bolted awake, causing Logan to sit up, too. “What’s the matter, Marie?”

“I just didn’t know where I was at first, that’s all.”

“Oh.” Logan frowned slightly. “Are you ok? How ya feelin’?”

“I’m…I’ll be fine.” She turned from him.

“Are you hungry? I’ll get us some breakfast if you want.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“Ok…want something to drink?”

“No.” Her voice was weary and tired.

“Do you need anything, darlin’?” Logan gently turned her around to face him.

“No.”

Logan wasn’t used to having Marie behave this way, and something inside him clenched. “Oh, well, let me know if you do, ok?” He wanted desperately to make her happy again, to make her smile. She got up and walked to where her shoes were.

“Thanks Logan.” She sat down on the chair by his bed and pulled her shoes on before heading out the door.

Logan sat in a momentary state of shock on his bed. “Poor, poor kid,” he mused. He, too, was upset over Bobby’s death. The kid was a good fighter, a good kid. He didn’t really like the Ice Man that much, but all feelings of resentment aside, he was going to miss him. He just didn’t want anyone to know it. He slid out of bed and pulled on a shirt before heading out to find Rogue.

: : /// : :

Rogue stepped into the hot, steamy shower and let the water cascade over her. She wanted to wash away the memories of last night, but knew all too well how impossible that was. Tears filled her eyes as thoughts of regret filled her head. They had been doing nothing but arguing for weeks. They had argued only a few hours before his death. He had hung up on her. She didn’t even get to say goodbye.

She looked at her razor sitting beside her on a shelf. She needed a way to get everything off of her chest and out of her system. She wanted to rid herself of the pain she felt building inside of her. She wanted to bleed, she wanted an escape.

She picked up the blade, red droplets hitting the shower floor.

: : /// : :

Logan followed Rogue’s scent down the hallway, and came to rest outside of one of the coed bathrooms. He heard water running inside. Entering, he called out to Marie. When he got no answer, he walked around to the shower stalls, and saw a figure outlined against the frosty glass. His heart skipped when he saw the position of her silhouette, one arm frantically slicing away at the other. The smell of blood reached his nose. He charged forward, and threw open the door to her stall. “Marie!” A look of fear and sorrow filled her eyes, as she allowed herself to sink to the floor of the shower, letting her razor hit the ground.

“I’m sorry…I’m sorry…” she choked out between sobs. Logan bent down and scooped up her naked form up, holding her tight. Normally, her wounds would have healed, due to his healing factor being a part of her. However, since she lost her mutation, the cuts on her arm were bleeding profusely. Grabbing a towel, he wrapped the sopping wet Marie up, and carried her down to the MedLab.