„Logan!“

Storm's voice awakened me from the dream that I was currently living in.
For a few minutes I had allowed myself to believe in the illusion that Logan and I would go away together, just the two of us.

He had promised me to take care of me and stay with me as long as I needed to.

I had imagined that he would take me somewhere remote and let me hide away from the world until I was ready to go back to school and face the others.
That I would have time to finally come to terms with my mutation...he would help me learn how to live with it and not feel like some sort of walking genetic mistake – I never felt like that around him.

And the kiss...the kiss...I didn't even allow myself to think about that wonderful kiss that I resolved to call my first kiss from now on, because it had been infinitely more intense than the "real" one and would always be one of the more pleasant moments of my life to remember.

“You found her!”

Scott and Storm arrived at our sides before we could make it out the door. Yes, it was definitely time to return to reality.

With a quiet growl, Logan came to a halt and pulled me into his side, his arm wrapped securely around my waist. His touch in combination with his presence in my mind pushed my worries aside and gave me a comforting feeling of safety that I couldn't quite define.

Storm reached out to place her hand on my shoulder but I cringed away from the prospect of being touched, so she simply gave me a reassuring smile.

“I'm glad Logan found you before you left town. The Mansion can be your home, if you want to. And you don't need to run away from it, no matter what.”

I remained silent, sneaking my fingers up Logan's back and holding on to the rough leather of his jacket, my touch hidden from Scott and Storm's view.

“Is everyone ready to go back?” Scott asked a little impatiently. “Magneto's people are all over the place and I'd like to get out of here before this turns into a fight.”

“I'm not going back,” I whispered, locking eyes with Storm.

“What do you mean, you're – ? It's dangerous out there if you're on your own; and especially now,” Scott warned me in a concerned tone. “I would really prefer it if you came back with us.”

“She won't be on her own,” Logan interjected.

“Excuse me?”

“I'll be with her. I'll make sure she's safe.”

I ignored the verbal attack that Scott launched on Logan and stayed focused on Storm.

“Is that what you want?” she asked, seeming very worried as well.

“Yes.”

“Are you sure?”

I nodded, giving her my most determined look. My mind was made up and nobody was going to change that.

“Just remember that you can always return.”

“I know. And I will,” I assured her. “I just need some time...”

Secretly hoping that some other scandal would occupy everybody's minds sooner or later, I convinced myself that I was telling her the truth. I would come back. Just no now, when everyone would be asking questions and whispering behind my back.

Storm nodded and placed a calming hand on Scott's arm, who was nowhere near finished with his little tirade.

“– you're the most irresponsible and self-absorbed person that could possibly – ”

“It's fine, let them go,” Storm cut him off.

“Let them go?” he repeated angrily, shaking her hand off.
“It's what she wants,” Storm said softly.

“We can't let her go away with him!” Scott yelled with a desperate edge to his voice as he realized he was losing this fight.

“Get the stick outta your ass and let the girl make a decision, One-Eye,” Logan said, giving him the best threatening look he could muster up.

“Do not call me – would you stop that Storm? He doesn't have the right to – “

Storm pushed a protesting Scott forward with gentle strength, shooting Logan a warning glance before disappearing into the crowd.

Logan let out a relieved breath and I could feel his tense body relax against mine.

“So, I guess they won't be causing any more trouble,” he stated as we – finally – made our way out the front doors of the train station.

“It's not like they're my parents or anything – not that they cared much when I left.”

I hadn't meant to sound like I was pitying myself, but it was getting increasingly harder not to. Maybe I just wasn't meant to live a life that included a lot of social interaction, and my skin was just destiny's way to make sure I stayed an outcast. Which was a bit of a ridiculous theory, I had to admit, but it suited my bitter mood.

He produced an angry snort and swung by bag over his shoulder.

“They should've.”

I flashed Logan a grateful smile. A couple of gruff words in an awkward attempt to tell me he cared and his tightening arm around my waist made me feel much better than Scott's or the Professor's efforts would ever be able to.

“Where are we gonna go?” I asked him, deliberately changing the subject.

“I don't know,” he replied with furrowed brows. “We should probably find some motel or something. I've been homeless ever since that frizzy-haired pansy ass made my trailer bow up...”

“So, basically, all we've got is...”

I left my statement hanging in the air as we reached the parking lot and Logan nodded towards the motorcycle.

“Yep. We got Scott's bike.”

“It's a start, I guess.” I shrugged, intently watching Logan, who had released me from his embrace to stuff my bag into the tiny trunk of the motorbike.

“And I have enough money to last for a few days. You don't have to worry,” he promised when he saw concern briefly cross my face.

He reached out for my hand and took it in both of his, which instantly spread an intense feeling of soothing warmth and safety that I still couldn't explain to myself.

I allowed my mind to wander for a moment to explore the possibilities this arrangement held. The strange connection I felt to Logan and had previously considered a silly crush seemed to have turned into something stronger and from what I had picked up from his thoughts, he deeply cared about me as well, even though I still wasn't entirely sure in which way.

The kiss on the train had been a good indication regarding that subject matter, but I was afraid to let myself believe in something that might turn out to be as one-sided as I feared in the end. It was probably better to wait for what the next few days would bring...

“Hop on.”

Logan's voice interrupted my thoughts and I realized he was waiting for me to climb onto the motorcycle.

“Uhm...” I hesitantly swung my leg over its back and felt a couple of strong hands grasp my shoulders to steady me as I pulled myself up into an upright position.

“You gonna be okay on there?” he asked, lightly rubbing my back to comfort me.

Nodding, I made a brave face, but instantly wrapped my arms around Logan and clenched my fingers into his jacket when he took his place in front of me.

Even though I didn't necessarily consider myself afraid of the ride, I still felt a little tingle of nervousness; simply because I had never been on a motorcycle before. My dad had always told the most terrible stories about them and forbidden me to ever accept a ride on one. Good thing he would never know.

Logan covered my left hand with his, lacing his fingers through mine and gently squeezing it.

“I'll drive safe,” he said, giving me a reassuring look over the shoulder. I nodded and hid my face against his back as the engine started purring and we rolled off onto the street.


~x~


The bike ride hadn't been as bad as expected. Actually it had been quite...fun. We had stopped a couple of times to fill up on gas and grab something to eat, but had spent most of the day on the road.

The exhilarating mix of fear and joy still in my bones, I let Logan help me descend from the motorcycle and lead me through the front door of a small motel on wobbly knees.

It sure wasn't the Hilton, but it wasn't one of those shabby places I usually stayed when on a tight budget, either.

Logan kept his arm loosely around my waist while he booked us a room for one night with breakfast, paying in advance. Slightly amused, I watched him try his best to be friendly to the old lady behind the reception counter, who seemed mildly intimidated by him.

Our room turned out to be small but cozy and I immediately let my body collapse onto the broad double bed, closing my eyes for just a second. I hadn't realized just how exhausted I was until now.

“Logan?” I muttered.

“Yeah?”

I gathered all the strength at my disposal to sit up on the bed and hold back a yawn, looking up to meet his eyes.

“Thank you.”
Chapter End Notes:
Scott turned out a little meaner than originally intended....oh well. I know you guys can deal ;)